SAM MDF books about the Phantom

Antoine

Hi all,

I've just received from SAM Pub the last MDF about the phantom (Part 3 overseas operators).

I was a big fan of previous SAM MDF (Spit, mossie, etc...), who were in my own view a "must have".

I was really waiting for those three volumes on the phantom, thinking that they certainly would be very near to the definitive work on the subject.

Not at all. Very far from it.

They're just another under average book, and they add nothing new to what has been published previously. Just as an example, there is no drawing showing the specificities of the Greek/Israeli/Turkish phantom.

Without speaking of printing errors (just check vol.2 and you'll understand).

I really feel like those books were made this style: Copy-and-paste what is already available on the net or elsewhere, shake, and here is your book.

What do you think? What's your opinion?

:please:

Hello Paul,

You just have to open the Spit, or the hurry book alongside any of the phantom books, and you'll see what I mean.

As I've said above, for exemple, a good cover of the particularities of the Israeli phantom, with drawing showing the nose for the recon variants.

There is even not any plans of a Brit FG1 or FGR2...

Agreed, they starting going downhill after the Me109 books.

It used to be roughly 50/50 split between available kits and the subject aircraft, now the mere mention of kits is secondary. The SHAR title was so dissapointing i haven't bought any since.

Also disssapointing when they do review an old kit, even if it's only recently become OOP, they just say "unable to track down a sample" or similiar. I mean jeez.... it can't be that hard to ring Malcolm Rolling et al can it ?

I wonder if they realise the Mosquito title was a work of art, and now commands a hefty premium second hand ?

Edited by Dave T

I have some which range from nice, to very nice but bought F-4 No2 which was pretty crap, with large areas left out, won't be buying any more. Great potential but too much info on the kits, most of which I will never build and/or discontinued and out of date by the time the book is out. Too many samey cockpit shots (Beaufighter!) and some detail areas missing (flaps would have been nice) and my biggest gripe-the detail shots are tiny, some almost unusable, and generally not enough.

Having said that, the Hurricane book was lovely, as is the Beaufighter. I've got the Lanc too which looks nice, but till I actually need it on a build I'm not too sure. Just worried about the small photos with that one. Need to take some of the comments on board if they are going to go forward IMHO.

PS Wish they would re-release the Spit 1 and Mossie books cos I missed the boat with them and I've heard they are really nice.

Edited by turnerdad

Interesting comments - one likes more modelling, one doesn't! ;) As they are books for modellers, I personally prefer more on kits and models, and I also agree with the comments on the detail photos being too small.

My favourite has been the Griffon-Spitfire book - a good balance of modelling and detail photos with a bit of history thrown in. But all the ones I have have been useful.

Edited by Paul Bradley

I have very mixed feelings about these books. They look great, good format, plenty of pictures and plenty of colour. However I'm never too sure about the content. I was kind of disappointed by the title on the Griffon Spits because some of the info left me with more doubts than certainties. The scale drawings didn't look brilliant either.

In general even if a book is aimed at modellers I'm not particulaly interested in finding any build, I'd rather prefer a proper review of the strong and weak points of the kits in terms of accuracy and detail rather than knowing that part A34 and pat B56 do not fit well, but this is a matter of taste.

Of course having the drawing, the pictures and the info in one single volume is great, so I still believe they are useful if someone doesn't have much more on the subject. I feel that if someone already has a library covering the subject most of the info are already in his possession.

Giorgio

Turnerdad, they can't re-release the Mossie one (very good by the way) because of the copyright troubles that there are between SAM Publications and Mr.Franks (the author). So the initial print run is all there will ever be of that one!...:(

Turnerdad, they can't re-release the Mossie one (very good by the way) because of the copyright troubles that there are between SAM Publications and Mr.Franks (the author). So the initial print run is all there will ever be of that one!...:(

Bummer. Bloody copyrighters/authors/lawyers (delete as applicable).

I bought part 3 of the Phantom MDF this weekend. I can't speak for the other 2 Phantom issues as it is only really the UK Phantoms that interest me, but the cover on the latest one is terrible. The paper it is printed is not their usual quality.

Bummer. Bloody copyrighters/authors/lawyers (delete as applicable).

yeah...I've not got a copy of the Mossie one myself and that just stinks 'cos it's a good book...sigh

I had a good look through the Phantom on at the last yeaovilton show and I thought the photographs were pretty good but didn't really pay too much attention to the rest of it...so it's turned out not so hot then?...that's a shame cos i did like the earlier volumes...:(