* Spitfire IIA

Rob M.

Will be converting a Tamiya Mk.I to a Mk.IIA.

Will add more once I get started.

Cheers,

Rob M.

Hey Rob, are you going to use the Ultracast set to convert from a Mk.IA to a Mk.IIA?

Yep, got one as you suggested.

Think I'm going to finish it as P8194 DL-M "Gold Coast 1" of 91 (Nigeria) Squadron. It's on the Aeromaster Battle of Britain Spitfires Part 2 sheet, with a sky blue spinner and fuselage band.

My other option is to finish it as R6690 PR-Q of 609 Sqn, a Mk.1 with the blunt spinner on the Aeromaster sheet Part 1.

Cheers,

Rob M.

ps. does anyone do resin cannon barrels for a Mk.1b? There's a nice 92 Sqn aircraft on one of the sheets that I might have a go at next time.

That's just great! A little bit or research (91 Squadron by Peter Hall) has just revealed that Gold Coast 1 was delivered to 91 Squadron on the 9th of April 1941.

Quite why it's on a 'Battle of Britain' sheet is beyond me (the sheet even say's April/May 1940).

Add to this that 2 very good photos show the aircraft with a pointy spinner.

Also double checked and 91 Squadron didn't form until January 1941 (SAM Pubs Modellers Datafile 3)!

Simce aftermarket decal sheets cost so much, I wish they'd do some decent research!

Rob M. (a bit peeved).

Right then, Allons-y! :hobbyhorse:

DSC00941.jpg

Here's what you get in the box and a few Aftermarket bits!

Off to the Paintshop, clear the decks!

DSC00942.jpg

Right, now that Tonka's off to one side...

DSC00943.jpg

The Maestro at work!

DSC00945.jpg

Several coats of Xtracrylics Interior Green later...

DSC00946.jpg

And that's all for tonight folks...

Cheers,

Rob.

Edited by Rob M.

Hey Rob

Ditto from me too! Great start.

Thats a neat little spray both you got there. Is that an old record turntable aswell?

Why is it you can never have too many Spitfires?

Keep us posted

Richard :thumbsup2:

Great work Rob and a major bummer about the markings, but at least now I know why they got the nickname ErrorMaster.

Are you going to stick with the Gold Coast I markings for this build or change to something else?

On the subject of poorly researched aftermarket decals, I notice the option for the 19 Sqn Mk I coded QV-K features the 'K' in white. The well-known photograph of this aircraft doesn't support the use of a white code letter, so where on earth did they get that idea from? Incidentally, that photograph would appear to show a white spinner, whereas currently 'those who know these things' contend that it was yellow - I don't agree with them.

With regards to a Mk Ib, I would have thought using a Mk Vb kit to be the best way of modelling one. The only major external difference between the two being the shape of the oil cooler inlet - half-round on the Mk I and circular on the Mk V. Otherwise it will have a De Havilland propeller, 'straight' exhaust stubs and flat-sided canopy like all other Mark Ia Spitfires. I would regard Aeromaster's depiction of the 609 Sqn Mk I as having a 'blunt' (i.e. Rotol) spinner with suspicion.

Mark IIs can have either DeHavilland or Rotol propellers, so it pays to find a photograph of the particular aircraft you're interested in. I presume you already know that it should also have a small teardrop-shaped blister on the starboard side of the cowling, just behind the propeller - just tell me to bu**er off if you do!

Cheers,

Tim.

Thanks Guys,

Richard - Yes, that's the remains of a turntable from a recycled Amstrad Stereo unit! Makes painting a bit easier.

Darren - Not sure yet, Might have a look through my own references and butcher the Aeromaster sheet!

Tim - Thanks for the advice on the Ib. Might have a try at that at some point, although I'm normally a dedicated 1/72 modeller! Thing that's putting me off is the 'authenticity' of the Aeromaster sheet. Totally agree with you about QV-K. Looks to me like it's a lighting effect and the K is the same colour as the rest of the codes. Not sure about the spinner - I thought it might be Sky or white? p9386.jpg Definitely not yellow - compare with the yellow in the roundel! Bump on the Stbd cowl is the Coffman starter bulge and Ultracast have obligingly provided one with the prop! Keep the comments coming, I need the help!

Cheers,

Rob M.

Edit to add image.

Edited by Rob M.

Not sure about the spinner - I thought it might be Sky or white? p9386.jpg Definitely not yellow - compare with the yellow in the roundel!

I have a copy of the Osprey book with this picture and it looks quite different. The roundel yellow looks similar to the spinner and the 'K' is much lighter than the 'QV'. It shows how difficult colour interpretation from monochrome prints can be. I would've thought there is no doubt about the codes being grey, but the question of the spinner is very interesting. The usual explanation is that the spinner was painted yellow when the machine served briefly with an OTU, but sources never state whether this is based on documentary evidence or supposition.

peebeep

With regards to a Mk Ib, I would have thought using a Mk Vb kit to be the best way of modelling one. The only major external difference between the two being the shape of the oil cooler inlet - half-round on the Mk I and circular on the Mk V. Otherwise it will have a De Havilland propeller, 'straight' exhaust stubs and flat-sided canopy like all other Mark Ia Spitfires. I would regard Aeromaster's depiction of the 609 Sqn Mk I as having a 'blunt' (i.e. Rotol) spinner with suspicion.

Cheers,

Tim.

Tim I agree with you as that's the way I plan to go when I do a Mk.IB. Also in case you're interested here is a thread that talked about the various armament options the Mk.IB had.

Cheers

The roundel yellow looks similar to the spinner and the 'K' is much lighter than the 'QV'. It shows how difficult colour interpretation from monochrome prints can be. I would've thought there is no doubt about the codes being grey, but the question of the spinner is very interesting.

peebeep

Sorry to bang on, but even comparing the prop tips with the spinner suggests it's a different (lighter) colour than yellow!

This evening I have started detail painting on the sprues. Toned down black initially for the instrument panel, tyres, and side console bits. Then a dry brush of light grey to highlight the stringers/longerons.

I have a czechmaster seat and back armour plate (still trying to source head armour (although a suitable photo and some 10 thou card would do the trick)!

Build starts tomorrow in earnest.

Cheers,

Rob M.

I don't have the Osprey immediately to hand, but isn't there a comment in it to the effect that Sqdn Ldr Lane ordered the spinners of all his aircraft repainted after a fraught few minutes dogfighting with a wingman?

By the way, stop me if you know this but the photo is of a Mk1 and the bulge you can see on the cowl isn't the starter - it's on the wrong side.

John

Edited by John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

I hate kit surgery too. However, for a Spitfire it's pretty essential. Fortunately the Mk I - V are the easiest to do. If you like, I'll send you a set of pix showing how to do it. Time wise, it takes me only half an hour per elevator - maximum.

Dave.

Hi Darson,

Just one more point. The Mk Ib would have fabric covered ailerons, so it may be a good idea to pick up some Ultracast MkI control surfaces for the Mk Vb donar kit if you build a Mk Ib.

Dave

Hi Rob,

If you like, I'll send you a set of pix showing how to do it. Time wise, it takes me only half an hour per elevator - maximum.

Dave.

Cheers Dave,

I'd appreciate that - always willing to learn!

You can reach me at: ukliaison at gmail dot com (to avoid the spam bots)!

Thanks,

Rob M.

Edited by Rob M.