What Humbrol # for Luftwaffe desert brownish yellow

Skybert

Hi guys, been a while since hatching my nest of Vipers in january, but now turned my eye to a dio with a luftwaffe desert field setup holding 2x bf 110, a 109F and a stuka, all in that yellowish brown, or brownish yellow.. As I only do handpainting with Humbrol, anyone can suggest what number comes close to that color?

greetz

Skybert

Edited by Skybert

IPMS colour charts give the following;

RLM 79 Sandbraun, Mediterranean scheme, Mix of humbrol 40*Hu:24 + 37*Hu:73 + 17*Hu:150, or alternatively a mix of 4*Hu:154 + 3*Hu:94 + 1*Hu:34.

or

RLM 79a Sandgelb, Another variant of RLM 79, Hu:62.

Hope that helps.

Best

Rich

Edited by Richard M

Live dangerously! Buy another tin of paint - or even two!

Are you looking for the early yellow colour (sometimes thought of as being Italian in origin) or the later hazelnut? Either way go look at the White Ensign range or the Xtracolour. Yes, they may need a little extra stirring, and benefit from an undercoat, but from the evil nasty gossip around the web that's also true for many Humbrol nowadays.

Live dangerously! Buy another tin of paint - or even two!

Are you looking for the early yellow colour (sometimes thought of as being Italian in origin) or the later hazelnut? Either way go look at the White Ensign range or the Xtracolour. Yes, they may need a little extra stirring, and benefit from an undercoat, but from the evil nasty gossip around the web that's also true for many Humbrol nowadays.

Thx for the mixing schedules guys.

Silly as it may sound.. I inherited the paints from a dear friend who died three years ago of cancer at the age of 42, and sort of vowed to use them as a tribute to our friendship and his memory. Accuracy is not the main goal here. I also am restoring his collection of models for his son..

With undercoat you mean a white ?

The dio will hold a Bf109F like below, (but not the marseille machine) so i gues I will go for the later hazelnut scheme, but would like to finish them in the one over colour and the white fuselage band . no mottling etc.. just ordinary workhorses..

2620944708_5e338c4823.jpg

regards

I tend to use not white, though a light/mid grey undercoat is often used (the infamous Halfords primer?), but I prefer a colour close to the final one desired. I do intend to convert to airbrush one of these days, so it will matter less.

Without digging for examples, I recall plain desert Bf 110s in the earlier shade, but Stukas tended to retain their 70/71 in the early days. I'm sure there will be other options around. The 109F should certainly be in the later shade.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys, been a while since hatching my nest of Vipers in january, but now turned my eye to a dio with a luftwaffe desert field setup holding 2x bf 110, a 109F and a stuka, all in that yellowish brown, or brownish yellow.. As I only do handpainting with Humbrol, anyone can suggest what number comes close to that color?

greetz

Skybert

Humbrol 119 is a good as any for the later RLM 79, it has the pinkish tinge required.