1/48 E-2C Hawkeye

Well It's back to work and to start of I'm doing two this week this Hawkeye and a F-4 FGR2 both in 1/48 scale

So at 9.30 this morning I started.

Here the resin wonder

148_E-2C_1.jpg

It's not a kit for the beginner, the usual things that come with resin lots of air holes ranging in size from pin pricks right up to pea size.

The instructions look like they are from my daughters colouring book, but not as good!. Here's the kit parts.

148_E-2C_2.jpg

148_E-2C_3.jpg

As you can see, some very poor parts that will need a lot of attention and replacing.

I started with the cockpit.

148_E-2C_4.jpg

It's not the best but as you wont be able to see much it will do.

148_E-2C_8.jpg

OK, here was the first problem, the kit would have you fit the cockpit to far back and the bulk head is too big and needed to be sanded down. In the next pic it shows it half done.

148_E-2C_6.jpg

148_E-2C_7.jpg

After a lot of playing with, and dry fitting, I painted the cockpit.

148_E-2C_9.jpg

Next I had a look at the engines and there not pretty ether.

148_E-2C_10.jpg

148_E-2C_11.jpg

Join me tomorrow were I will be up to my neck in filler, CA glue and choking on resin dust and CA kicker.

P.S now join me over on the FGR2 build

Holy crap! :yikes:

You've got your work cut out for you with this one Phil. It looked pretty good until I got to the close-ups.

The resin is that thin in places that they have pored on more after it came out of the mold.

The wings don't join the fuselage and the ................................ in fact nothing joins anything at all. :fraidnot:

Jesus! :o Vague doesn't begin to cover some of those details! I hope you're getting well paid to cover the additional work... I'd be asking for a squintillion quid for dealing with that monster! :S

Nice job on the cockpit though... it looked crap til you painted it :D

Hey phil,

this one 's a serious customer, if he's willing to pay the value implied in doing that one kit ...

Chewing-gum is the word coming instantly to mind when I see these resin(!) parts.

Hairy, to say the least, and you did well with that cockpit.

Will follow your progression with interest, sure.

Stef (#6)

Oh my god! If someone put that in front of me I'd just cry!

Just the look of those pieces :blink: and the fit :wacko:

Not something I could do :fraidnot:

Really looking forward to seeing this one take shape though as the Hawkeye is one of my favourites...

Karl.

I have seen this kit and I can say without a shadow of doubt its as rought as a bears bottom!

The fuselarge I saw had a misalignment by about 1/16 to it looked like 1/8" in places.

Phil, whats the metal gear like on yours as the one i saw was very bad indeed. You certainly have your work cut out for you on this one.

Good luck.

Julien

Geez, if Neil had only sent me the casting-blocks of the Israeli weapons I bought from him once, the detail would still be better! :crying:

"Fine surface detail [...] current heat exchangers [...] fully detailed cockpit". Ooohh-kay, how can one tell? :wacko:

BTW, the work you've done on the pit is fantastic! :worthy:

Oh, I hope to hell that Special Hobby / Azur releases their 1/72 Vautours soon :please: Hannants have had them as a future release for the past million-ish years :S

:viking:

Doesnt this kit cost around 230 USD? You'd think their quality would be much better :(

:shocked: You're kidding, right? Even at current exchange rates that's around £120, and for that price, I'd expect it to build itself! When you compare items like this with the MDC offerings at around £70, and the Fisher kits at around £120, because of their scale, they're probably broadly comparable in terms of parts & weight of resin. There really is no comparison in terms of quality however, and having seen Nigel's copy of MDC's Typhoon, it's stunning... the Hawkeye could almost be a Mach 2 kit, it's so wobbly :S

:shocked: You're kidding, right? Even at current exchange rates that's around £120, and for that price, I'd expect it to build itself! When you compare items like this with the MDC offerings at around £70, and the Fisher kits at around £120, because of their scale, they're probably broadly comparable in terms of parts & weight of resin. There really is no comparison in terms of quality however, and having seen Nigel's copy of MDC's Typhoon, it's stunning... the Hawkeye could almost be a Mach 2 kit, it's so wobbly :S

Not kidding

I can tell from your replies your all excited about this one :suicide:

It's to be built OOB, but there's no way I'm going to put my name to that. So I've got to bight the bullet and do what I can to improve the kit. (a hammer spring to mind)

After this the Mach2 Valiant should be a doddle :wacko:

I can tell from your replies your all excited about this one :suicide:

It's to be built OOB, but there's no way I'm going to put my name to that. So I've got to bight the bullet and do what I can to improve the kit. (a hammer spring to mind)

After this the Mach2 Valiant should be a doddle :wacko:

I gotta ask Phil: Had the client actually seen the kit when he/she specified OOB?

Have been curious about these kits for a while, never actually seen the contents of one before. Looks like it is going to take a fair bit of work Phil. Made a good start with that cockpit though.

B)

Yep, it's there kit's both the Hawkeye and the Phantom FGR2. I've decided to cut out the main wheel wells and start again from scratch.
Then their concept of OOB is way different from mine :wacko:

Why do I get the impression this is like car crash TV

#Later on car crash TV, When parachute's don't open but first we have Phil of Flory Models makes a resin Hawkeye# :rofl:

Well I finished the engine's re-shaped, re-scribed and livened up.

148_E-2C_13.jpg

148_E-2C_14.jpg

And also had a fly-bye of five Seakings from 771 SQN right over the house, I grabbed the camera and snapped the last one

DSCF4194.jpg