1/48 E-2C Hawkeye

Thanks Karl,

Well decaling done, lots of problems there as the bloody things shattered as soon as they got wet, even with a coat on mico film they still had a habit of braking up. :wall:

148_E-2C_27.jpg

And here she is after a coat of future all ready for the wash in the morning Oh and some weathering :wicked:

148_E-2C_28.jpg

Well she has had the same treatment as the Phantom today.....

The wash on.................

148_E-2C_29.jpg

And off

148_E-2C_31.jpg

148_E-2C_32.jpg

And yes before the clean brigade start, I know it's a CAG bird but looking a a lot of them they do get very dirty.

Just a few things to go on, but I'm almost there.

That looks absolutely fricken brilliant Phil !!!!

one question - how did you mask the radome ?

John

Thanks John,

I sprayed the white and then the Gull gray and followed the panel line all the way round the dome. I did it with 18mm Tamiya tape and bent it around as I went.

Quite simple I'm happy to say :speak_cool:

And yes before the clean brigade start, I know it's a CAG bird but looking a a lot of them they do get very dirty.

Just a few things to go on, but I'm almost there.

Looks good to me, even the CAG birds are not super clean.

Julien

Super job Phil, coming along nicely.

I bet you've got a real sense of acheivement after getting that brilliant finish from a really iffy kit?

I look forward to seeing the finished model in all her (Flory) glory :speak_cool:

Well Peeps It's all done and finished.........and the Phantom

148_E-2C_33.jpg

I have to say, this has been the worse kit I have worked on in a long time but I'm very happy how it terned out.

I will take better photos tomorrow as to day it's the Julies (wife) birthday and I promised to take her out this afternoon.........

Oh yeah! I'm looking forward to seeing these in more detail. The Hawkeye looks fantastic!! From such a poor kit you've done a superb job, can't believe it's what was in the box originally!!!

And a :hbd: to the wife!

Regards,

Karl.

Only joking............. :rofl:

148_E-2C_15.jpg

Just to show that you have to cut thou 5mm of resin to get the wing roots in. :doh:

148_E-2C_21.jpg

Here you can see I'm trying to get a seamless join between the vac and the resin. this is the third go.

On the up side I can see some light at the end of the tunnel with it :thumbsup:

Is that grey stuff all filler? WOW!

You filled it all up, rescribed and then got rid of the excess? :gobsmacked:

Liam

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I've noticed on Hawkeyes and Greyhounds - they have quite distinctive exhaust staining on the lower wing surfaces extending spanwise. This is due to running the engines on the deck while the wings are folded. If you didn't add this, then that would be a nice touch for the characteristics of the real thing. Regardless, I think you have done a cracking job of a challenging kit. Almost enough to make me want to dig my CA F-107 out of storage...

Jens

Wow! That's amazing work Phil - :gobsmacked: I'd never have the patience to or skill do that kit as well as you have. The Phantom is equally impressive looking, but at least a kit I think I'm capable of doing myself.

One thing I've noticed on Hawkeyes and Greyhounds - they have quite distinctive exhaust staining on the lower wing surfaces extending spanwise. This is due to running the engines on the deck while the wings are folded. If you didn't add this, then that would be a nice touch for the characteristics of the real thing. Regardless, I think you have done a cracking job of a challenging kit. Almost enough to make me want to dig my CA F-107 out of storage...

Jens

Oh it's there all right.

148_E-2C_HAWKEYE16.jpg

Thanks guys for all your kind words it's now in the Netherlands, Next for the client is a Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster.