RAF Lightnings over Africa (profiles)

Gekko_1

Thanks guys! :)

Yves, a profile of Rupert may get done at some point. However a picture of Harriet may be a bit more difficult to come up with. After all even I don't know what she looks like completely. Maybe if a relationship sparks-up between Harriet and Ian I may get to imagine more of what she looks like, but at the moment in my imagination she is quite vague. Funnily enough these characters aren't based on anybody I know, not even loosely, which is strange as I usually base characters on somebody I either know or have seen in a film or on television. This is the first story I've written where everybody is totally newly created.

Keef, I'd love to have the time to write a novel! Actually I don't know the first thing about going about it? Maybe one day, when the kids have gotten a bit older?

As for payback. I think its going to be a long time before that happens. The Soviets are testing a lot of new things on the African continent. Things that they may use on the European battlefield at a later date. I think the Europeans had better start thinking smarter. Now that the US has become an insular neutral state many things in this "What if?" world are going to change. But more about that in the next instalment! :wicked:

One thing I do know is that we are about to see the emergence of the Vulcan bomber on the African battlefield and it will be carrying some very interesting weapons! :analintruder:

Anyway guys, I'm glad somebody out there is enjoying this story as much as I am creating it! :D

Cheers

Richard.

Oh man, this is getting seriously addictive!

Tell me Richard, would you mind if I posted a couple of sketches here based on how my imagination pictures some of the scenes?

Oh man, this is getting seriously addictive!

Tell me Richard, would you mind if I posted a couple of sketches here based on how my imagination pictures some of the scenes?

No I don't mind, go ahead! I'll be very interested to see what you 'see'!

Cheers

Richard.

Richard,

Taken me a while to catch up on all this, and Im totally astounded. Your profiles, well, you know I like them just a teeny weeny bit :lol: and the story youre writing is just jaw dropping stuff :worthy::worthy:

Now then, back in June you asked about Cranberrys in the PR role, never fear Bexy's here............ late as always :doh: In the time frame youre talking about 31 Sqn dispanded on their PR7's & PR9's in 1971, and off the top of my head their PR7's went to 13 Sqn, 39 Sqn, 100 Sqn & FRADU for T22 conversion ,leaving 13 & 39 with Camera fitted PR7's, the others having cameras removed for TT18 & T22 conversion and based upon the numbers of both types built for the RAF (excluding those W/O & overseas contracts) PR7's built = 74 & PR9 built = 22, my personal guess would be, that the RAF would be reluctant to send PR9's whereas with a surplus of PR7's, the RAF would send those instead, and their crews were already well practiced in Mud Munching :rofl:

For those that want to build a PR7 from either a new Airfix B2 or the old Airfix B6, dont forget PR7's are 14 inches longer, have wet wings (2 tanks per wing) & have an extra fuel tank & shortened Flare Bay underside.

Bex

Edited by bexwh773

Richard,

Taken me a while to catch up on all this, and Im totally astounded. Your profiles, well, you know I like them just a teeny weeny bit :lol: and the story youre writing is just jaw dropping stuff :worthy::worthy:

Thanks Bex, I'm really blown away that people are liking this story. I'm really enjoying writing it. I have no idea where its going, I'm along for the ride and much as anybody. I do however know how it ends. I was a bit concerned about bringing in the more personal aspects of the characters, but nobody has complained yet so I guess I'm going alright! :analintruder:

For those that want to build a PR7 from either a new Airfix B2 or the old Airfix B6, dont forget PR7's are 14 inches longer, have wet wings (2 tanks per wing) & have an extra fuel tank & shortened Flare Bay underside.

Thanks for the info. So this 14" extension you speak of, where abouts was it? Is it a simple fuselage plug? With the tanks in the wing, does that change the appearance of the wing at all? Do you have any pics of the shortened Flair Bay?

The reason for the specific questions is that I wouldn't mind modelling one of these "African" PR7's from the Airfix 48th scale kit sometime later this year. I know a 'modified' Whiff subject would really drive some of the local JMN's crazy at comp time here in South Australia! :evil_laugh::wicked:

Cheers

Richard.

Richard,

Fantastic narrative - definitely more food for thought!

Don't want to be a party pooper but Wokkas don't have a forward left door - just a fairly large escape hatch through which bullet chuckers various are pointed!

What colour scheme are you thinking of for the Wokkas? In that time frame they would have been dark green and dark sea grey uppers with black lower surfaces but as this is a What If they could have been anything! Just a thought though, the Mk.1 Wokkas used to leak oil like a sweetheart, we had a lot of trouble getting the ARTF to stick to certain areas during Gulf 1 (under the engines and the underside behind the doppler aerial).

Looking forwards to the next instalment and the next profiles - as I'm off to sea in a couple of days I can wait.

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup2:

Regards

Wez

Thanks for the info. So this 14" extension you speak of, where abouts was it? Is it a simple fuselage plug? With the tanks in the wing, does that change the appearance of the wing at all? Do you have any pics of the shortened Flair Bay?

The reason for the specific questions is that I wouldn't mind modelling one of these "African" PR7's from the Airfix 48th scale kit sometime later this year. I know a 'modified' Whiff subject would really drive some of the local JMN's crazy at comp time here in South Australia! :evil_laugh::wicked:

Cheers

Richard.

Richard,

The extra 14 inches was added into the fuselage forward of the wing root, this was to include the forward camera bay aft of the port & starboard equipment bays with the camera ports either side, then behind those is the ventral fuel tank (no.6) then the shortened (bomb) Flare bay, followed by port, starboard & underside camera ports, plus survival equipment & radar doodah thingymajiggys were in there too. As for the wings, according to all the data I have, both B2 & PR7 tech manuals and 2 very good Canberra books, I can see no difference in the dimensions or angles, however, if you plan to use the soon to be released B2, the engines will be incorrect, as th B2, PR3, T4 & T17's had Avon RA3 engines, whilst the PR7 had the Avon RA7.

As for PR7 photos, my fotopic album has all the photos I have taken of the PR7 Im restoring, however, let me know if you need anything specific, as hopefully sometime in the next millenia when the council has repaired our house and I can get upto the museum I have a backlog of photos to collect for a couple of other BM members :rofl:

Bexys Fotopic Album

Any other questions just fire away :yahoo:

Bex

Richard,

Fantastic narrative - definitely more food for thought!

Don't want to be a party pooper but Wokkas don't have a forward left door - just a fairly large escape hatch through which bullet chuckers various are pointed!

No problem, thanks for the info Wez. Corrections like this are most welcome. :thumbsup2:

What colour scheme are you thinking of for the Wokkas? In that time frame they would have been dark green and dark sea grey uppers with black lower surfaces but as this is a What If they could have been anything! Just a thought though, the Mk.1 Wokkas used to leak oil like a sweetheart, we had a lot of trouble getting the ARTF to stick to certain areas during Gulf 1 (under the engines and the underside behind the doppler aerial).

The Wokkas in theatre are all painted the standard Burkina Faso colours as seen on the Burkina Faso Lightning F.6 with the flag design on the fin. With the addition of dust and oil leaks I reckon they'd make for some pretty good modelling subjects! :analintruder:

Looking forwards to the next instalment and the next profiles - as I'm off to sea in a couple of days I can wait.

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup2:

Regards

Wez

Thanks Wez.

Cheers

Richard.

More on these two as the story progresses.

SouthAfrica-2.jpg

RhodesianAirForce.jpg

I'll have the next installment up soon. Looks like the TSR.2 Eagle is going to make an appearance soon too!

Cheers

Richard.

This just keeps getting better and better!

Brilliant profiles Richard, interesting to see another variation on the theme.

Glad the information on the Wokkas was useful.

Looking forwards to the next instalment.

Keep up the good work!

Wez

Here's the next bit guys! Things are hotting up! :wicked:

The success of operations on the 3rd of July 1981 was more than the Soviets could have ever hoped for. They had now managed to test their Foxbat and R-40RD missile combination and couldn’t have been happier with the results. The Soviet Commander of operations in Africa, Generál-Leytenánt Adrik Ivanov, decided to take the pressure off the English and her coalition partners to see what move they could come up with next. Ivanov had discussed this development with his friend and operations commander in Europe, Stefan Mikhailov. Mikhailov decided in his region to increase the pressure on the East/West German border by sending two Foxbats over the border at high altitude to see what sort of a response it would stir-up. It took the RAF four minutes to get a response up in the air and when they did they halted their intercept course as soon as they were lit-up by the Foxbats radar which had effortlessly locked-on to them. Then the Foxbats turned back and headed for home, job done. Now the Russians would sit and wait.

The 3rd of July 1981 was a very costly day for the coalition forces. Two Lightnings, two Drakens, three Mirages, a Gannet, four Voodoos and three Wessex rescue helicopters shot down with ten pilots killed, with absolutely no loss to the Soviet forces. Something needed to be done and done quickly!

With the Vietnam War ending the way it did for the Americans, nobody was really all that surprised with the election of a President who promised a pullout of South Vietnam and commence a time of healing for the country. The loss of the USS Enterprise and USS Saratoga in the Gulf of Tonkin on the morning of the 17th of April 1974 left everybody stunned. The precision of the North Vietnamese strike had left everybody speechless. How did they manage it? Why was American Intelligence so far behind the eight ball? What were the missiles that the North Vietnamese used?

What could be garnered from the handful of witnesses that early morning was that eight missiles were fired, four for each Carrier. They all made direct hits and both Carriers had sunk with all hands within fifteen minutes. President Nixon threatened North Vietnam with Nuclear weapons however counter threats from both Russia and China called his bluff. This incident, plus other matters regarding Nixon’s political dealings, meant an emergency election was called for September 16th 1974. The country was in a mess, both economically and socially. Many Americans were looking for change. They were sick of the war; sick of war in general, sick of the social inequalities and sick of the fact that the U.S. seemed to always have to be the world’s policeman, why couldn’t somebody else do it?

The political platform that the new African American Senator took with him to the Whitehouse was one of change. America needed to close ranks. Lick its wounds, bring harmony to its sole and heal its people. It was a landslide victory. The U.S. declared an end to hostilities with North Vietnam the day after the election. North Vietnam in return promised to be respectful of the people of South Vietnam and once having battled for control of the South, kept its word. Atrocities were in fact kept to a minimum. American POW’s were returned home and arrangements were made to reclaim any known U.S. dead.

The U.S. also pulled out of NATO and packed-up their bases in Europe and Asia. The U.S. was to internalise, to re-build itself. Instead of spending Billions on weapons systems, they would improve their economy with respectful trade, improve Health care for all and work out a responsible Immigration Policy with South America. Despite all the critics, it actually worked. Trade with America increased dramatically. This new peaceful America suited many people, however, the world being what it is, and human nature being what it is too, meant that the honeymoon period would not last forever. But for now, all was good in the world.

In the mean time, the United Kingdom and Europe had to fend for themselves. The Soviet Union didn’t in fact jump at the chance to dominate the world in the absence of the United States; instead it quietly got on with things. A tense yet stable boredom overtook the region. None of the Satellite States dared cry out for independence from Russia. They too just sat, watched and waited. The Russians did however begin to make amends with the Chinese. A move that was instantly reciprocated by the giant Asian country. Behind the scenes military technology, tactics and plans were put into effect.

The Russians were aiming at boring its enemy to death by doing basically nothing. Nothing on the outside, that was. Internally Russia’s military mind was running at full pace. Americas bowing out of world affairs would be put to great advantage. But not just yet! Much planning had to go into effect. Much research. This time of peace was very advantageous to many.

In the United States many military technology experts had to think hard about their futures. They could stay and work on projects that were aimed more at the domestic market, or leave the U.S. and head overseas to continue their valuable work in a country that still valued their skills. Many of these men realised that one day the Russian and Chinese sleeping giants would wake-up and begin their dominant push for control of the globe, so they understood that their work must go on. Many of them moved to the U.K., some to Australia, some to Japan and some to Europe. With them went their research, knowledge and skills. All would be needed in the years ahead.

At an emergency meeting of the British Ministry Of Defence, a list of necessary upgrades and improvements to the Armed Forces was instigated. They were:

*Anti-radiation Missiles (British Aerospace AGM-45 Shrike ) and new Electronic Counter Measures to be fitted to 10 Vulcan Bombers to be dispatched to Africa. Vulcan is also to be given a long distance air-to-air capability with the introduction of internally mounted British Aerospace AIM-54C Phoenix missiles.

* TSR.2 Bombers to be sent to Africa with modified Bluewater missiles to be used in standoff strikes against the Foxbat base in Mauritania.

* Four FGR.2 Phantoms to be upgraded to FR.3 standards equivalent to USAF RF-4C Phantom.

* Six FGR.2 Phantoms to be upgraded to Anti-SAM “Wild Weasel” standards and to be equipped with British Aerospace AGM-78 ‘Standard’ and British Aerospace AGM-45 Shrike missiles. Phantoms to be designated FGR.4.

* F.6 Lightnings to be upgraded with British Aerospace AIM-9L Sidewinder missiles and electronic warfare suite.

* Negotiations to begin to acquire ten, ex-USMC EA-6B Prowler Electronic Warfare aircraft.

* South Africa, Rhodesia and New Zealand to be formally asked to enter the conflict in support of both air and ground operations with United Kingdom and Coalition forces. South African FGR.2 Phantom, F.6b Lightning, Rhodesian FGR.2 Phantom, F-6b Lightning and RNZAF A-4K Skyhawk aircraft specifically requested.

* Request put to Royal Australian Air Force for TSR.2 Bombers in support of operations in Africa.

Cheers

Richard.

Very cool Richard i agree the back story was great love the ideas for the wild weasl varients very cool cant wait to see those profiles keep going

Question: In the most recent update I list a series of modifications needed for the RAF to be able to continue its fight in Burkina in the absence of U.S. involvement. Where in the UK would these types of modifications be done and what unit/squadron would be responsible for them?

Cheers

Richard.

Question: In the most recent update I list a series of modifications needed for the RAF to be able to continue its fight in Burkina in the absence of U.S. involvement. Where in the UK would these types of modifications be done and what unit/squadron would be responsible for them?

Cheers

Richard.

Possibly St Athan in South Wales or Abingdon in Oxfordshire?

Edited by Richard E

Cheers

Richard.

The Weasels could be IX or 20sqn. In Op. Granby, the Weasel Tornadoes were from IXsqn, with crews from 20sqn. During WWII, 101sqn Lancasters were equipped with jamming gear, so they'd be a candidate for the Prowlers. The Phantom FR.3s would probably become part of 39sqn.

The story is bloody great Richard, keep it coming!

Edited by hatchet

Cheers

Richard.

A lot of the testing,development & service release work would probably have been done at the A&AEE (Aircraft & Armament Evaluation Establishment) at Boscombe Down, maybe with the Royal Aerospace Establishment at Bedford also being involved.

Keef

Many of them moved to the U.K., some to Australia, some to Japan and some to Europe. With them went their research, knowledge and skills. All would be needed in the years ahead.

Funny, I thought that UK was part of Europe?

:smartass:

* Four FGR.2 Phantoms to be upgraded to FR.3 standards equivalent to USAF RF-4C Phantom.

* Six FGR.2 Phantoms to be upgraded to Anti-SAM “Wild Weasel” standards and to be equipped with British Aerospace AGM-78 ‘Standard’ and British Aerospace AGM-45 Shrike missiles. Phantoms to be designated FGR.4.

As there is already a Phantom F.3 [F-4J(UK)], maybe an FR.4 and an FGR.5 would be more appropriate?

:unsure:

What a story!!!

:clap2:

Edited by Antoine

As there is already a Phantom F.3 [F-4J(UK)], maybe an FR.4 and an FGR.5 would be more appropriate?

Hi Antoine,

in this "What if?" story the Falklands War never happens, just as well, so there would have been no need to order the F-4J(UK) from the U.S. Plus the U.S. in my story is neutral so wouldn't of supplied them anyway. The U.S. will however supply the EA-6B Prowlers as they are deemed "defensive" aircraft as opposed to a "Fighter" which could only be classified as 'offensive' in nature. Plus in my story many more FGR.s Phantoms were produced than actually were due to the fact of the U.S. changing its ways, plus South Africa will be producing its own FGR.2's and possibly Australia too.

Cheers

Richard.