RAF Lightnings over Africa (profiles)

Gekko_1

Hey Richard i am loving the RAF in Africa thing its great i love how you included the Canadian Vodoos too very cool are you going to do a paint scheme from them too what squadron are you going to get them from.

Hi Tiger41,

glad your liking the story, I am too! :analintruder:

Yea the Canadian Voodoos will have a unique paint scheme, possibly two. But I haven't got that far yet, I'm currently working-up the RAAF Mirage profiles.

I'm afraid I know nothing about Canadian Voodoo squadrons? I'll have to do a bit of research before I can go any further with them.

Cheers

Richard.

Your right, in the "real world" the Republic of Upper Volta claimed independence from France in 1960 and changed its name to Burkina Faso on August 4, 1984, by President Thomas Sankara.

However, in my "What if?" world after independence from France in 1960, Upper Volta began a political dialog with the UK and re-named itself then too.

Cheers

Richard.

Ok, Richard, I've missed that.

Good show anyway.

super.gif

Suffice to say this story is growing. AND YOU LOT ARE TO BLAME! :evil_laugh:

Good. Now then, what can we do to stir it up more??!! I'm enjoying this 'revisionist' history.....!!!! B):P )

Its infectious innit! :wicked:

Yes. Unfortunately....!!! :D

Keef

Hi Keef,

nice to know that I've almost tempted you! :wicked: If I were you I'd build that Matchbox kit now before you get the Academy/Trumpeter kit, otherwise you'll never ever build that Matchbox kit and nobody will want to buy it off you either! :o

The reason for the wraparound scheme is that when flying at low level as soon as a jet banks to the side it is instantly spotted by the flash of light grey / blue of the underside. Also with the proliferation of surface to air missiles into the region, and prowling MiG's flown by combat experienced Russian pilots, the flying height of choice of the RAF pilots flying over Burkina Faso was 200 feet. Thus the camouflage scheme blended-in very well and the Russians hadn't, by that time, developed good ground clutter discernable radar, so the Lightnings flying that low stood a better chance of survival than at a greater height where they were vulnerable to SAM's and MiG's.

Also the role of the Lightnings in Burkina Faso was one of both air defence and ground attack. Lightnings were deemed suitable by the MOD of the time and the RAF had to make do with that decision. Phantoms and Buccaneers were needed to fulfil their NATO roles and couldn't be spared.

As for Burkina Faso decals, Zots does them:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev1...zsp1/rev971.htm

Cheers

Richard. (doing his best to defend his whiffs :unsure: )

And doing a damned fine job of it too! I enjoyed that little 'back story' Richard. It could almost be a plot for a film.

I'm in Perth, by the way. Good to see a few Aussies here in Britmodeller.

Cheers,

Tim.

Good. Now then, what can we do to stir it up more??!! I'm enjoying this 'revisionist' history.....!!!! B):P )

I don't mind if you lot participate and throw some ideas into the ring. You would have all read the bits and pieces of the back story now so should have a rough idea how this story is flowing, so have a go at suggesting what else could be included. Anything from types of aircraft involved from both UK, Commonwealth and Denmark and lets not forget the aircraft from China and the Soviet Union in African camo schemes! Maybe there's some political twists and turns? Would South Africa or Rhodesia get involved? Could that bring in other African countries??

Question: What RAF type would have been available in the late 70's to early 80's for counter insurgency? In other words something that could fly slower than the fast moving jets, that could loiter above the battlefield for longer periods. A bit like the Skyraider.

Cheers

Richard.

Wonderful creativity...now then..

What colour schemes were the Victor tankers in?

When did the Lighnings get upgraded to FGR2s?

And doing a damned fine job of it too! I enjoyed that little 'back story' Richard. It could almost be a plot for a film.

I'm in Perth, by the way. Good to see a few Aussies here in Britmodeller.

Cheers,

Tim.

Cheers Tim! And what better time to add the Aussie Mirage IIIO (or IIIC if you like, it is a whiffer after all).

RAAFBurkina.jpg

Here's the first of the Aussie Mirage profiles, story to come.

Cheers

Richard.

Question: What RAF type would have been available in the late 70's to early 80's for counter insurgency? In other words something that could fly slower than the fast moving jets, that could loiter above the battlefield for longer periods. A bit like the Skyraider.

Logical suggestion: Harrier GR3 or alternatively would there be some surplus Typhoons, Tempests or Sea Furies the the RAF could dust off in an emergency?

Wonderful creativity...now then..

What colour schemes were the Victor tankers in?

When did the Lighnings get upgraded to FGR2s?

Victors would be in Hemp I'd say. No FGR.2's to Africa, the Lightnings are on their own. Phantoms are needed in Europe as the Soviets are behaving rather badly, and with that Russian MiG-27 being shot down near the German boarder by a Jaguar things have gotten even worse! :analintruder:

Cheers

Richard.

Logical suggestion: Harrier GR3 or alternatively would there be some surplus Typhoons, Tempests or Sea Furies the the RAF could dust off in an emergency?

Harrier Gr.3.................yes, that could work!

What about Wyverns too?

Cheers

Richard.

How about bringing some Strikemasters into RAF service, specifically for the job, or get the RNZAF to jump in? Maybe "loan a few AMB-326 from the SAAF...

Joel

Edited by Bandwagon 106

Victors would be in Hemp I'd say. No FGR.2's to Africa, the Lightnings are on their own. Phantoms are needed in Europe as the Soviets are behaving rather badly, and with that Russian MiG-27 being shot down near the German boarder by a Jaguar things have gotten even worse! :analintruder:

Cheers

Richard.

Things could have got worse, the Jag could have been shot by a Phantom!

Cheers

Richard.

July 1980, and the weather in the South Atlantic was worse than usual when the merchantman SS Libyan Queen set sail from Buenos Aires heading for the country mentioned in her name. The Argentine armed forces had for months been 'sabre rattling' with the Junta's renewed claims for sovereignty over the Falkand, or as they would have it Malvinas, Islands. Thus, the merchantman was quickly picked up & shadowed by an ASW Gannet launched from HMS Eagle which had been on patrol in the area since April. They constantly kept it under watch as it set course to the north of the islands. Suddenly, a week or so after leaving the Argentinian port the on station Gannet picked up a distress call from the Libyan Queen saying that they had lost all power & steerage & were drifting toward the Falklands! Eagle then made all speed toward the stricken vessel and the crew were taken off by two Sea Kings from the carrier hours before the ship beached on North Falkland. When the storms subsided the ship was boarded by a salvage party & a squad of Royal Marines to secure the ship and salvage the cargo - which turned out to be 30 brand new FMA IA 58 Pucará aircraft, complete with all the necessary spares & support equipment needed to get & keep them operational!! As Libya was then under international sanctions that prevented them receiving arms, there was obviously no manifest showing where these aircraft were bound for, so they became a 'war prize' for H.M.Government (even though we weren't actually at war!).

However, there was actually no obvious use for them in the R.A.F.. Until, that is, things started to 'warm up' in a certain African state........!!

Keef

PS - I love that Mirage!!

Hey what about an RAF Bulldog trainer being used in the COIN role. As it has two seats you could have pilot and weapons operator.

Just an idea

Although our Billies had plenty of power for a pupil & instructor (& were real fun when flown solo) I don't think there would be anywhere near enough power to carry any stores. And there was no way of fitting wing hardpoints either.

But.......they'd look great in a COIN colour scheme, & it is whiffery anyway....!!! :D

Keef

Good Forward Air Control platform though................

You beat me to it - that thought just struck me when I was thinking how good the visibility was out of a Billie. Especially in a tight left, low level turn (often over the local 6th form college where the girls often sunbathed on the roof....!!)

Keef

Hi Richard My name is Yves by the way and i am a Canadian, one of the Voodon Squadrons you could use was 425 Squadron the alouette they are french canadian squadron from CFB Bagotville also the you can find out info on all the squardons by going to www.RCAF.com

There were photos published at one time of the SAL Bulldog with gun pods under the wings, so maybe fitting one to carry flares or other target markers wouldn't be that far-fetched.

As for co-in, JP5s with hardpoints would be an excellent platform - a Strikemaster without tip tanks! Maybe the FAC configured JP3s would still have been around too?

John

Great stuff, Richard.

Didn't you do a Phantom FGR2 in Burkino Faso markings are year or so ago??

And I like the idea of the Commonwealth supporting all this.......

There's huge potential for Jaguars, and the idea of Mirage IIIOs is terrific. :thumbsup:

Personally, I'd like to see a Wyvern or two in the COIN role :partytime:

And why not some RCAF AT-33s in the COIN role too :partytime::partytime:

Hawk's went into service in 1976 IIRC so maybe you could COIN them? Also the Strikemaster was in production through to 1984, possibly ramp up production or divert them from other countries orders?. If the Soviets are messing around in Europe the Harriers might be needed there.

Love the back story, hope your planning a movie script or at least a book!

Paul Harrison

Hey richard are you going to have airborne early warning there like the Gannett AEW what about SAR Helos one other thing are you going to have any Sam hunting aircraft like F4G Wild Weasel the Raf got them from the USAF to use because that was only way they going to get SAM hunting Aircraft they would look neat in the wrap around camo. Now you got me going on this thing one more thing have you thought to support the Buccs a few A6E Intruders on loan from the USMC the RAF want to see how good the aircraft comparied to the Buc

Yves

Edited by Tiger41

July 1980, and the weather in the South Atlantic was worse than usual when the merchantman SS Libyan Queen set sail from Buenos Aires heading for the country mentioned in her name. The Argentine armed forces had for months been 'sabre rattling' with the Junta's renewed claims for sovereignty over the Falkand, or as they would have it Malvinas, Islands. Thus, the merchantman was quickly picked up & shadowed by an ASW Gannet launched from HMS Eagle which had been on patrol in the area since April. They constantly kept it under watch as it set course to the north of the islands. Suddenly, a week or so after leaving the Argentinian port the on station Gannet picked up a distress call from the Libyan Queen saying that they had lost all power & steerage & were drifting toward the Falklands! Eagle then made all speed toward the stricken vessel and the crew were taken off by two Sea Kings from the carrier hours before the ship beached on North Falkland. When the storms subsided the ship was boarded by a salvage party & a squad of Royal Marines to secure the ship and salvage the cargo - which turned out to be 30 brand new FMA IA 58 Pucará aircraft, complete with all the necessary spares & support equipment needed to get & keep them operational!! As Libya was then under international sanctions that prevented them receiving arms, there was obviously no manifest showing where these aircraft were bound for, so they became a 'war prize' for H.M.Government (even though we weren't actually at war!).

However, there was actually no obvious use for them in the R.A.F.. Until, that is, things started to 'warm up' in a certain African state........!!

Keef

PS - I love that Mirage!!

Great story Keef! :thumbsup:

Hi Richard My name is Yves by the way and i am a Canadian, one of the Voodon Squadrons you could use was 425 Squadron the alouette they are french canadian squadron from CFB Bagotville also the you can find out info on all the squardons by going to www.RCAF.com

Thanks Yves, when I get a chance I'll check out the Canadian Voodoo Squadron and get a profile and story into the mix.

Cheers

Richard.