* Hurricane Mk.1. 504 Sq ,P2725 TM-B Sgt Ray Holmes.

This is a really old project that I've been promising myself to finish. I started it in the New Year of 2005, and it's been sitting in a box for the last few years. Here's where I am so far without any new work on it.

_D9O7334.jpg

_D9O7332.jpg

The cockpit has been assembled, and brush painted with a home-made RAF cockpit green concoction from Revell paints. Buggered if I'll be able to get the mix right again as all the old stuff's gone off! I think the shade's about right. I relied heavily on the SAM Modellers datafile and images off the net for this. I've got some Tamiya IJN cockpit green, and am going to respray it, reposition the seat, and tart it up a bit as I don't like the way I finished it then.

_D9O7327.jpg

I bought an MDC etch harness yonks ago, and that'll be going in.

I've got some Mike Grant instrument decals and am sanding the back of the kit instrument panel down, so that when I sit them on plastic card glued behind the panel, they won't look so recessed.

Taka taka taka taka taka....

Nick

Edited by dylan the rabbit

Right. I've done a little reworking on the cockpit frame as I wasn't happy with what I first did.

I resprayed it with doctored Tamiya cockpit green, added a few Mike Grant decals and bits of wiring. I removed the seat (which I positioned really badly first time round) and my next bit of work will be spraying the MDC etch harness prior to installing that.

_D9O0753.jpg

_D9O0752.jpg

_D9O0750.jpg

_D9O0748.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Nick

• Like 1

I've got the old 70s on in disgusting blue plastic (with a box of spares in grey from flash service!!)

I'm dreading the day I start restoring it. I have a full fuselage and an engine that doesn't fit in the bay.... Looks like it's coming out and the cowl panels are going on! Dunno bout the .303 housings as the panels are glued in place. (My bro started it years ago) I'll cut them out and see what the guns are like, it'd be good to show off at least some of the features of this hoooooooooooge model.

I'll be watching this thread with envy above all!!!!!! Keep up the good work.

Stuart

Looks rather smart this one Nick, even more so as its a Hurricane :wub::wub::wub:

:popcorn: & :beer: at the ready for this :thumbsup2:

Bex

Looks rather smart this one Nick, even more so as its a Hurricane :wub::wub::wub:

:popcorn: & :beer: at the ready for this :thumbsup2:

Bex

I agree Bex, Nothing quite like the Hurri for all out slogging, Spitfire Schmidtfire (pun intended lol). Something about these 8 .303s clustered up like that that says "I mean ***ing business!!" :wicked:

I bow to a fellow Hurri lover B)

Edited by Stuart

Cheers there fellow Hurri lovers...

Stuart, I agree with the poer fitting of the engine and gun bays etc.

I tried dry fitting the engine, and the cowling panels just won't shut.

I'm leaving all of those bits out (should cut down on the weight of the spindly undercarraige if I use the kit parts and don't upgrade to metal ones!).

Cheers,

Nick

Cheers there fellow Hurri lovers...

Stuart, I agree with the poer fitting of the engine and gun bays etc.

I tried dry fitting the engine, and the cowling panels just won't shut.

I'm leaving all of those bits out (should cut down on the weight of the spindly undercarraige if I use the kit parts and don't upgrade to metal ones!).

Cheers,

Nick

Superb, I'm glad I'm not the only one!!!! lol

I'm nervous about opening up the gun bays though :undecided:

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a little bit of progress on the Hurricane, having spent most of my efforts (when I can) on the Defiant, and finishing off the Rhodesian Spitfire.

The IP's done. It looks crap blown up like this (in fact I've noticed a couple of touchups to do with black paint), but looks fine in the cockpit. Decals are Mike Grant, and are probably all wrong, but they look alright to me. The panel was sanded as thin as possible, and the decals stuck on a piece of card which was then glued on the back. The dials were filled in with Klear.

_D9O3480.jpg

As far as the fuselage is concerned, I'm not going to go nuts on rescribing the whole damm load of rivets. I'll never finish it otherwise. I'm just concentrating on the panel access screws, by sanding down the Airfix ones, and rescribing a circle and a pin hole for each one. As you can see, I've already bodged a few, and am filling/resanding/rescribing again.

_D9O3482.jpg

_D9O3481.jpg

I imagine a few more days of this before I can fit the cockpit in and start on the wings.

Cheers,

Nick

Wow Nick

Your insrtrument panel looks fantastic! Are those decals 1/24th scale 'cos they look pritty good for size!

Hang in there with the rescribing, the finished results are always worth it!

Thanks for the inspiration to get onto my Hurricane.

Richard :speak_cool:

• 1 month later...

Veeeeeeerrrryyyyy slow progress on the Hurricane due to the Spitfire and Defiant builds, and the fact modelling time is zero at the moment due to family commitments.

Anyway, I made a little progress.

Finished rescribing the cowling fasteners as much as I could be bothered, inserted the IP and cockpit, glued the lower cowling panels on, glued the ailerons together and have put it all together as a dry fit. Lots of tarting up to do, but it's coming together.

I'm leaving the engine and petrol tank assembly out of the kit.

The pics are grainy and I shot them without flash, so I've had to push them a bit in Photoshop, hence the colours are off a little..

_D9O8688.jpg

_D9O8687.jpg

_D9O8686.jpg

_D9O8684.jpg

_D9O8683.jpg

_D9O8682.jpg

She's a big bugger..

_D9O8680.jpg

And here, in a semi state of flyby with the 1/32nd Revell Spitfire.

_D9O8691.jpg

More to follow whenever!

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 1