Revells 1/72 F-4

Mentalguru

It comes with a free box that has a picture of a Phantom on the front of it. You could perhaps use it for keeping your collection of Pokemon trading cards in? ^_^

So long as he's happy with a red and black Phantom then I think it serves a purpose. At his age I was doing similar things with the Airfix Phantom and look how crap that was.

It comes with a free box that has a picture of a Phantom on the front of it. You could perhaps use it for keeping your collection of Pokemon trading cards in? ^_^

Ahhh- you know the kit then!

Well my little Nicholas is a great Pokemon fan, so I will pass on your idea.

Actually Ithink the wing tanks may be a better shape than the Hasegawa ones

Well I saw loads of Tornado F3 s zooming around the Howgills today- all with big black tails- cooool

...what's wrong with it?

I think Rich has been spoilt by the Tamiya F-16 he's currently filling with....errr.... filler :rolleyes: Plus - he likes a good moan :lol:

Are we talking about this kit:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMAF1

If so, I got one in the Revell AG '50 years of the Bundesluftwaffe' set last Summer, and this innocent little penguin :P thought it was pretty good. Maybe some minor shape issues around the cockpit, and the drop tanks look a bit odd, but nothing that can't be fixed or hidden. No reviews that I've been able to find have given it a hard time...what's wrong with it?

Cheers,

Chris.

:angrysoapbox.sml:

Well- its personally NOT to my liking- matter of opinion possibly

To start- canopy is very shallow, ripple in the mouldings- interior "gentleman's parts in a bucket" seats, no great level of detail.

The intakes - when viewed from above, have a very exaggerated rake

weird panel /trench lines

Fit of intake assemblies, lower wing/forward fuselage is a nightmare

View up inside intakes is just unbelievably poo-poo

I do indeed have the same kit as the one you linked to- and it was a choice from my little boy- and so its going to get finished

Hopefully the decals are going to bring it around so he will be happy with it- otherwise Iwouldnt bother.

I personally see absolutely nothing to reccomend this kit above others already available.

"No reviews that I've been able to find have given it a hard time...what's wrong with it?"

The precise reason I really hope Britmodeller succeeds- freedom of speech- if anybody can prove to me they have done a great job and put me in my place then I will take it like a man :analintruder:

Edited by Metalguru

:angrysoapbox.sml:

Well- its personally NOT to my liking- matter of opinion possibly

To start- canopy is very shallow, ripple in the mouldings- interior "gentleman's parts in a bucket" seats, no great level of detail.

The intakes - when viewed from above, have a very exaggerated rake

weird panel /trench lines

Fit of intake assemblies, lower wing/forward fuselage is a nightmare

I do indeed have the same kit as the one you linked to- and it was a choice from my little boy- and so its going to get finished

Hopefully the decals are going to bring it around so he will be happy with it- otherwise Iwouldnt bother.

I personally see absolutely nothing to reccomend this kit above others already available.

"No reviews that I've been able to find have given it a hard time...what's wrong with it?"

The precise reason I really hope Britmodeller succeeds- freedom of speech- if anybody can prove to me they have done a great job and put me in my place then I will take it like a man :analintruder:

yeah...but apart from that....?? :whistling:

Well said... but your choice of smiley puts a whole new spin on the comment, which disturbs me :sick:

Fair enough, Guru. Joins the other kits in the stash that are never likely to get built, but might end up as a source of spare parts, I guess. Not a big Phantom fan, anyway. Decal sheet on the '50 years of the Bundesluftwaffe' version is pretty good, though. Presumably converting a Hasegawa 1/72 F-4E into a F-4F wouldn't be too hard?

Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,

Chris.

Maybe Im being a bit harsh- and sometimes i tend to "shoot from the hip," but I suppose Ijsut get fed up wit hall the releases from Revell- hailed as the next big thing- and quite frankly, a lot of hem arent.

Crisp panel lines does not a good model make !

Is this the old tool Revell F-4F or the new tool? I have the old tool, and it really is a pile of pants. Appalling fit, raised panel lines, the wrong tailplanes, includes a shrike and Standard ARM and other bits to resemble an F-4G.

As for the decals, if your boxing is pre-2000, then they will be even worse. Post 2000 and they will be great :)

Dunno if it's a great job (ok, it isn't :whistling: ), but I made this one:

F-4F080.jpg(click da pic)

:viking:

Is this the old tool Revell F-4F or the new tool? I have the old tool, and it really is a pile of pants. Appalling fit, raised panel lines, the wrong tailplanes, includes a shrike and Standard ARM and other bits to resemble an F-4G.

I seem to remember one of the Revell boxings being the Italeri kit from the early 1980s which was hailed as being one of the first really accurate (and detailed) F-4 kits at the time.

Well I reall hada poblem with he P-51B- I was real looking forward t this ki, and i was a majo dissapointment fo me.

I recall the Hunter in 1/72 havin some shap issues around the nose, and less forunaelthe canopy.

Now dont get me wrong, kits like the He-177 and Breugot Alise (spelling) are well recieved by me, although I think in many of their kits is the attraxction of cheap oolmakers and lack of acurracy that gets me down.

My keyboard is going tits up on me now

As an aside- I know sod all about targets and armour kits- so I would take this oppurtunity NOT to comment

Edited by Metalguru

I seem to remember one of the Revell boxings being the Italeri kit from the early 1980s which was hailed as being one of the first really accurate (and detailed) F-4 kits at the time.

Yeah, thinking about it, I wondered if it was an Esci/Italeri rebox. I might have made an accurate E or G, but it sure weren't an accurate F ;)

Breugot Alise

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but I didn't realise Revell did an Alize? what scale is that in? i've only ever seen the Heller 1:100

Yeah, thinking about it, I wondered if it was an Esci/Italeri rebox. I might have made an accurate E or G, but it sure weren't an accurate F ;)

The Esci F-4 kits were different tooling entirely and had recessed panel lines rather than raised. They were produced at a time when ESCI really were kncoking out some fabulous stuff (F-5s, Harriers etc...).

I really must bag one of their F-4S for the RAF version, it was a kit I saw in Beatties in 1986 and 21 years later I know really want one!

I think he means the Atlantic, rather than the Alize.

Ahhhhhhh, got my hopes up then!! now they've come crashing down :doh:

The intakes - when viewed from above, have a very exaggerated rake weird panel /trench lines Fit of intake assemblies, lower wing/forward fuselage is a nightmare

To add: the wing tanks are too skinny and pointed; the fin tip is the wrong shape, sloping too much; and the nose is too long and pointed. Generally the same problems as on their (Revell) 1/32 Phantom kits.

Most issues are fixable - except the squashed canopies. Replace the tanks, file the nose and fin tip to shape, replace the intakes (Seamless Suckers if you can find them can be adapted), etc...or buy a Hasegawa kit.

On the other hand, I didn't have any fit issues at all - in fact, I thought the engineering of the kit was excellent.

Gene K