WW1 rigging wires

eng

Hi Folk's,

My first post in this forum! I've had an Eduard Camel F.1 kicking about in the stash since it first appeared with the intention of "I'll have a bash at this when my modelling improves....." and it's still in there. However I fished it out the other night and was quite keen to have a go but decided I'd buy something else to practice on!! So now I've got an Eduard Albatros D.V as well, and low and behold it's as beautiful as the Camel......damn!

However I'm going to have a go at the Albatros first but had a few questions that the WW1 guru's here might be able to help me with -

1. on the real thing what sort of diameter/gauge were rigging wires? What do you guy's use size wise for 1/48 rigging?

2. any good sites or links to WW1 German colours? I've found the paint chart in the Eduard Albatros very contradictory and confusing with colours for Humbrol that don't match or come close to what Tamiya ref they quote etc, good example was Humbrol 2 (emerald green) for the engine cowls, seemed a bit bright to me. Whats the best acrylic representation of the violet and light blue colours.

3. Any prefered colours for re-creating the varnished plywood finish?

Thank's in advance for any info at all.

I can see myself getting hooked on this, there's some beautiful schemes and a bit more colour than grey! Have just had a troll through the Group Build and the models there are simply stunning.

Eng

Hi Eng

Rigging and colours the eternal debate !

I myself have been converted to rig using Aeroclubs lycra thread, its elastic, it stretches and therefore you can make it whatever diameter you feel looks right. Other options are fishing line, stainless steel wire or, as I used to use, 0.2mm copper wire from Lion Roar I think....

As for colours.....

I have been using MrKit WW1 colours for sometime now, these are meant to be well researched and accurate (as they all are apparently) and it is surprising how vibrant and loud some of these colours actually are, It is a bit of a can of worms really but the Windsock data files and other such books tend to be a good guide as to what these ancient old airplanes actually looked like but in the back of my mind is always the fact that the majority of research is based upon black and white photo's of aircraft that are nearly 100 years old......so, if it looks right....... :)

Natural wood is a sod to recreate in plastic, but there are methods. My favoured way is a base coat of tamyia buff or Vallejo sand, then, over that, I apply with a broad brush, an artists acrylic, usual raw umber. The key here is not to much paint on the brush, you are after a "streaked" finish after all not total coverage. Its hard to explain it and easier to to if that makes sense. Another way to finish it off is with a coat of Tamyia clear orange.

Hope thats of some help !

Jono

You will love doing the Alb Dv, it's a beauty and no mistake.

Enjoy!

Bob

Here is my Jasta 18 DVa

Bob your builds are absolutely stunning, and probably part of my sudden interest in WW1. Thank's for the info, unfortunately I'm sure it won't be the last of the stupid questions your bound to find here.

Thank's for the inspiration to get away from "grey jets"

Eng

I have just got a whole roll of 100% Elastane to do my rigging with. Unfortunately the link I had doesn't seem to be working!

200m for £2 that will keep me going for ever.

cheers

Grant

I'll second that - Beautiful!!

Whose kit is that, Roden? Would love to see some more pic's, Thank's

Eng

Thanks for the comments guys

It is indeed Rodens Felixstowe, an F2A late if memory serves me right, it has been posted before but I will try and find some other pictures of it if you need to see more rigging !!!!!