Zeppelin-Staaken R.6

TCinLA

The review kit delivery from Roden also included the 1/72 R.6 Gigant. Even in 1/72, this will be huuuuuuuuuge (the original was nearly as big as a B-29)!!! Everything looks good as regards fabric effect, etc. Very clean molding. Lots and lots of decals with night bomber lozenge. Defintely one biiiiiiiiiig decal job. Anyone with the cojones to do this thing will have a model that will definitely impress hell out of anyone who sees it.

I currently have Rodens Staaken R.VI on and around my workbench and it is indeed a monsterous creation, lots of sprues, lots of parts but not without its own build issues. The decals I have been struggling with, they seem too thin and fold over at the first hint of being removed from the backing, and trying to work out wing/strut allignment is not without its problems. Saying that though, it has a high level of detail in Rodens typical manner, four engines of 20 odd parts each, an awful lot of lozenge decal, and a wingspan of about two feet ! The biggest problem will be what to do with it when its built, I thought the Felixstowe was large enough but it seems to be dwarfed by the Staaken.

the lozenge does appear to be have caused some debate regarding the colour. I know there are commercial sets available for this kit but I think you are looking around the £30 mark , its alot of A4 sized decal ! I have applied mine over a black undercoat and this really has dulled it right down, no idea if its right or wrong but it looks great !

That is freakin marvellous, don't chuck in the towel just yet - take a break, build a quick OoB job to get away from this beauty, then have another go.

If it's as good as the other stuff you've posted it'll be unbelievable.

Keep at it,

Eng

Interestingly enough, Jono's kit (which is, as Eng said, "freakin' marvellous!") is not the R.VI I have - this is the one done by the subcontractor (whose name escapes me at the moment and it is too damn hot in Loz Ahngeleez tonight - 95F @ 2130 Pacific Time, definitely "the city on the edge of a desert" tonight - to go out to the storage room and check) of which onmly two were built and used. But the detail differences are such as to be not a big deal.

Jomo: please continue. You might inspire me to do something more with this than turn the boxed kit into a doorstop.

thanks for the words of encouragement guys, dont worry, I am sure it will get finished, as for a quick OOB , I dont have time to do anything quickly !!!

the second Staaken released by Roden is the Aviatik built version I think, there were alot of variations of this airplane