Sea Fury

My Sea Fury is not as far along as the one posted below, but thought I would share with you all. A fun kit to build with good overall fit. so far I have just used the slightest bit of putty at the rear of the wing roots and that is all.

Here is the cockpit all OOB with the exception of the seat belts which are PE, the control stick may be a bit large, but I dont know for sure I am sure there are those that know more about this aircraft here than I do:

DSC02396-1.jpg

DSC02395-1.jpg

Here it is with a primer coat of Mr. Surfacer on it. Now the only glaring error that I can find is I think that the profile of the fuselage should be similar to that of the Tempest. I'm sure someone here can confirm that as I am pretty sure that it should not be "scooped out" as it is. Well I am building OOB so will leave it.

DSC02408.jpg

DSC02409.jpg

DSC02410.jpg

DSC02411.jpg

I am going to use Mike Grant decals to make a Canadian one (I know blasphemy) probably the third one from the top as it has some extra color in it (yellow and blue)

mikegrant.gif

Well, thats it for now hope you like it.

Geoff

very nice Geoffrey, looking forward to seeing you complete this one. I have two on order to do Aussie a/c. Very disappointed by the scooped out cockpit. Your'e absolutely right, it should follow the line of the spine right up to the headrest. What was trumpeter thinking?? Will have to build it up, or maybe I could just cheat and keep the canopy closed!! Also, to my eye, the "raised fillet" below the exhaust pipes should have its top edge gently rounded, it should not be such a angular shape, a few looks at pics of real sea furies will show you what I mean. 'cause it's up to you whether you personally find it annoying enough to reshape!!! Did leaving the wings extended present you with many gaps?. Keep the pics coming

Regards

Bruce

Edited by pacificmustang

I love the rivets!

Very nicely done and not a bad looking kit, all in all. Whats the price off the shelf?

very nice Geoffrey, looking forward to seeing you complete this one. I have two on order to do Aussie a/c. Very disappointed by the scooped out cockpit. Your'e absolutely right, it should follow the line of the spine right up to the headrest. What was trumpeter thinking?? Will have to build it up, or maybe I could just cheat and keep the canopy closed!! Also, to my eye, the "raised fillet" below the exhaust pipes should have its top edge gently rounded, it should not be such a angular shape, a few looks at pics of real sea furies will show you what I mean. 'cause it's up to you whether you personally find it annoying enough to reshape!!! Did leaving the wings extended present you with many gaps?. Keep the pics coming

Regards

Bruce

I built up the wings into upper and lower halves and added a bit of styrene stock to make the joing stronger. I really did not have any issues with gaps this way, and I can highly recommend this as I think if I had built them as inner and outer sections, I would have probably had issues with gaps.

DSC02349-1.jpg

DSC02348.jpg

I love the rivets!

Very nicely done and not a bad looking kit, all in all. Whats the price off the shelf?

David, I paid $52 USD for mine which is really a bit pricey for what you get, but the Sea Fury is one of my favorites. I think that works out to be 26 GBP (pounds) more or less

I got some paint on it, it is probably a bit over done for a Sea Fury with the Fading, but I wanted to play with the Tamiya paint as I can not get Gunze, my favorite here in the U.S. any more. I used XF-19 and XF-24 and then did some fading by adding a bit of XF-2 white. Not my best work, but I thiink it will have to do!!

Geoff

DSC02432.jpg

DSC02433.jpg

DSC02435.jpg

DSC02436.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice. Thanks for sharing details of the wing join. I have this kit to build soon and was thinking of doing exactly the same thing with the added styrene strips.

I don't think the post shading is too over the top. Did you blend it in a bit more? It looks more subtle in the later pictures.

Look forward to seeing this completed.

Beautiful Fury there Geoff, very clean build and photos really show your build off well.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers

Doc

BTW I'm looking into building a 1/32 Fury as a reno racer, just got to source a decent kit now!

Looking good Geoff! How is the kit overall? I'd like to get one or two for what-if projects (South African Navy machine and maybe a USAF bird). Is it an easy kit?

D

Here's a few things I have discovered about this kit from my build.

1. No matter what you do, it's a "one footer." But from 12 (or preferably more) inches away you can get away with a lot and make it look pretty much OK.

2. If you fill the spinner with cyanoacrylate and let it dry, then reduce the length about 1/16 inch, then sand down smooth and symmetrical, you can get a better looking spinner.

3. The landing gear is positioned way too far inboard in the gear wells, and is definitely too short. I took some sprue, drilled out a hole, attached the gear leg to that, and added about 1/8 inch to overall length. Then I glued it right at the far outoard end of the gear well. Also used some sprue to add about 1/8 inch to the tailwheel leg. It now sits at the same angle as the Fisher Sea Fury does and looks pretty much right.

4. The cockpit is just plain wrong, but if you paint it black, add some seat belts, and then close the canopy, it looks OK enough

5. That area right behind the exhaust needs to have the angles taken off on the lower part. Carve them off with a knife, then file smooth. Takes about 10 minutes and looks 100% better.

As is shown in the build here, painting the model brings out a nice look. Do these 5 steps before painting, and you'll have a model that looks nice without spending the kit price on resin. Do get Mike Grant's decals, or Xtra decals, or the old Aeromast sheets. The kit decals are (as usual) worthless.

HTH

Already looking great - can't wait to see the final product!