Italeri Tonka

Bobski

Just a quick one to say that I have seen the light and bought the Italeri 1/48 Tornado IDS. All I can say is...wow!

I've built 3 Airfix Tonkas in this scale and this is a real cut above them. Can't wait to put her together. Not that I'm going to neglect that unbuilt Airfix GR.1 that I have stashed away (my last couple of Airfix birds came out quite well considering).

Quickie question though - I've heard the Italeri Tornado has a problem with the fin. I've seen the Paragon correction set available, but I'm not sure exactly what the problem is in the first place. Could someone please elaborate a bit on this and any other pitfalls I should look out for?

Edited by Bobski

The main fit problems I had were with the intakes & the triangular pieces on the wing root where the Kruger flaps are.If this is'nt put together carefully,you'll have a 'step' in front of the wings.The fin does'nt look too bad to me.

oh,and.....

It's not called a bl**dy TONKA!!!!!The fin maybe but NOT a TONKA!!!!!!! :angrysoapbox.sml:

And breath...

Edited by spike7451

Its a good kit, seats and cockpit needs replacing if you're planning on having it open as its so sparse, but otherwise its fine. As mentioned, the leading edge/wing root area needs work otherwise you can end up making a mess (I have a Granby GR1 that needed one side filling and rescribing due to my own haste/incompetence when assembling them).

Paragon front fin correction is a nice addition for £3 - plenty of other of Neils bits worth adding too, afterburner cones being the main ones. To be accurate you need to scavenge quite a few bits from the airfix kits - the outer wing pylons in the Italeri kit are too deep, so need replacing with the better airfix items, whilst the under fuselage pylons are best taken from the airfix kit too. The Italeri ones have better surface detail, but don't have the correct fairing around the points where the ordnance attaches (think Spikes called them crutching pads in the past).

The Italeri ones have better surface detail, but don't have the correct fairing around the points where the ordnance attaches (think Spikes called them crutching pads in the past).
Speaking of which, are they only on RAF Tornados? The sprue-breakdown on RoGs 1/72 kit seem to suggest they're only included with the RAF version. I've only ever had the RAF version tho'.

:viking:

Speaking of which, are they only on RAF Tornados? The sprue-breakdown on RoGs 1/72 kit seem to suggest they're only included with the RAF version. I've only ever had the RAF version tho'.

:viking:

Yeh,

They are only found on RAF & Saudi Tornado's.The bomb lugs & ERU's that we use are different from Italian & German jets.

You can see what I mean below.

normal_lgb-1.jpg

Thanks for the info guys, it all sounds good to me. I'm thinking of getting the Flightpath detailing set as its got all the various pods and things as well as new seats and a new cockpit and is an alternative to cannibalising my GR.1 kit.