1/72 Tornado F3

Well, after my unsuccessful foray to Reading, I've returned to the greenery of Worcestershire, and to get me back into model making, I'm doing the Revell 1/72 Tornado F3, OOB apart from the Xtradecal set for the red tailed 229 OCU (65 Sqn) display bird. More as it comes...

Home030-1.jpg

Cheers Tim...the way things are going, I need all the luck I can get!

Home032-1.jpg

Cockpit done and have since added the seats and the rear cockpits mini stick....and look at that horrible join line. Lots of sanding there!

Home034-1.jpg

And the fuselage together...going nicely, until my happy machine gave up and died...when I realised that sat on the bench was the blu tack and lead shot for the noseweight, when it should be encased in the fuselage. Feck.

Apart from that finger trouble, and the seam lines on the fuselage, it's going ok!

Cheers Sean - I may have saved it, as I lobbed some blu tack and lead shot into the fuselage before I added the intakes. I think it may be far anough forward to keep the nose down. But we'll see. Red fin and spine painted, just getting ready for it to dry off to mask, then start adding the main colours, providing the airbrush keeps going! The fin has not been fixed in place yet to help me try and get it right.

Home035-1.jpg

Edited by AndyL

I've still got my 1/48 Airfix example with the Firebird decals I picked up at Telford a couple of years back.......................its going to be a nightmare, I just know it!

Looking good so far :speak_cool:

This in my eyes is the best 72nd F-3 kit, loads better than the Hasegawa one!

Looking good so far mate!!

Thanks for your kind comments, gents. Progress thus far - paint on, tail decals on, future coated, and an area with a bit of Phils wash on to see what it'll look like. Exhausts have a base cost of Xtracolour Oily Steel, and I'll put a Tamiya Smoke wash over it when it's cured. Then It'll be on with al the tiny fiddly decals. Oh and to do that radome too!

Home039-1.jpg

Edited by AndyL

Thanks for your kind comments, gents. Progress thus far - paint on, tail decals on, future coated, and an area with a bit of Phils wash on to see what it'll look like. Exhausts have a base cost of Xtracolour Oily Steel, and I'll put a Tamiya Smoke wash over it when it's cured. Then It'll be on with al the tiny fiddly decals. Oh and to do that radome too!

Home039-1.jpg

More dirt More dirt MORE DIRT!!!!!

Cheers all! I've got another coat of the wash on - looks ok. Will have it on it's legs tomorrow and a new set of photos. Time flies when you're having fun, and this build was what I really needed to get into the swing of things.

Well I thought I was a quick builder, but I reckon you'll be setting some sort of BM record with this one :lol:

Looks great, always enjoy seeing the special scheme Tonkas

the swing of things.

No pun intended of course..................... :coat:

Awesome!!

That fuselage seam is the biggest drawback of this kit, mine was the same, I lost all the panel lines and couldn't be arsed to re-scribe the damn things. Other than that I'd also agree that it's better than the Hase kit. I've looked at it side on a few times and wondered if the change of profile from the squarish cockpit section to the round radome is a bit to much of a step though. Still my 111 Sqn machine turned out not too bad and your's will be absolutely stunning.

Can't wait for more pic's - great choice of colour scheme too!

Eng

LOL! Swing of things...missed that one!

Thanks again everyone - and here's proof that despite forgetting to put the nose weights in, you can lob some on through the holes in the fuselage before adding the intakes. It's actually sitting nose down. Phew!

Radome painted, and am now on a decalling spree. Thanks for looking!

Home041-1.jpg