Hobby Boss N/AW A-10 Thunderbolt II

Mike

:analintruder:

That about sums it up. I've just taken delivery from Mr Bill of Beaney's models, and blimey oh flip! It looks like a beauty. I've had a quick peruse of the parts through the plastic, and am very impressed with the detail. I'm not an expert on A-10s, but have an affinity for them, and have 2 Monogram and 1 Italeri kits in my stash. From first looks, this resembles the Monogram kit more closely in shape, with none of the nose issues that the Italeri one is becoming infamous for.

High points include the following:

• Full engine detail (not much behind the blades, but enough to "fill" the cavity)
  • Individual fan blades on the turbine faces, with "look through" into the rear
  • Full detail on the great big eff-off cannon (Vulcan?), with 2 barrels in case you want to model it separately (I think)
  • Very fine detail on the landing gear, with vinyl tyres. I'll probably replace those with resin though, in case they melt the styrene hubs
  • Extensive choice of weapons
  • Fine raised & recessed detail all over the airframe
  • Acceptable cockpit detail OOB

Even in the bags, it just looks right to my eyes. Hopefully, the quality of the moulding will be the same on the "real life" 1 seater. I'll probably post up an in-box review shortly.

Full detail on the great big eff-off cannon (Vulcan?), with 2 barrels in case you want to model it separately (I think)

The Vulcan is the 20mm cannon fitted to virtually every post 1960ish American fighter, however the Warthog has the 30 mm Avenger cannon.

Can you post us some pics ?

Edited by AntPhillips

The Vulcan is the 20mm cannon fitted to virtually every post 1960ish American fighter, however the Warthog has the 30 mm Avenger cannon.

Can you post us some pics ?

I will mate. I'm a bit poorly still (starting to get VERY tedious), so I'm moving very slowly today, and pics could be a little delayed. As usual, being asthmatic it's gone to my chest now, and I have the wheeziest pair of lungs in Christendom :S

I'm very happy with the contents of the box... even the Mekpak Bill had shoehorned in there :D

"I will mate. I'm a bit poorly still (starting to get VERY tedious), so I'm moving very slowly today, and pics could be a little delayed. As usual, being asthmatic it's gone to my chest now, and I have the wheeziest pair of lungs in Christendom"

Told ya- but would you listen... noo. off you go.. sanding CA again- breathe those fumes, gulp that dust- get asthma a few hours later when youre doing something else and dont put the two things together..

"I will mate. I'm a bit poorly still (starting to get VERY tedious), so I'm moving very slowly today, and pics could be a little delayed. As usual, being asthmatic it's gone to my chest now, and I have the wheeziest pair of lungs in Christendom"

Told ya- but would you listen... noo. off you go.. sanding CA again- breathe those fumes, gulp that dust- get asthma a few hours later when youre doing something else and dont put the two things together..

Mother? :P

:viking:

Edited by hatchet

Mike,

Farting in a jar and breathing the vapours always opens my chest. Give it a try! :analintruder: :analintruder:

I'm not one for doing Jets, but looking at this model in Hannant's sure makes me tempted. The level of detail is amazing.

Bob Von Trap

I saw one at the last show i went to (Torbay) and I was seriously impressed with it...I can tell you that the Hobby Boss A-10's will knock seven shades of shash out of the Italeri offering, yes siree!

Edited by zeke

I have both the Hobby Boss A-10 kits. I am impressed with the quality of them. I think I will build the N/AW version first, but it won't be for a while. Too much other stuff on the go.

I will mate. I'm a bit poorly still (starting to get VERY tedious), so I'm moving very slowly today, and pics could be a little delayed. As usual, being asthmatic it's gone to my chest now, and I have the wheeziest pair of lungs in Christendom :S

Know the feeling all too well Mike - my asthma is really well controlled with drugs, but nothing stops it when I get a bad cold that works its way into my chest :(

Still, a couple of days off on the sick browsing the web eh? :)

"I thought it was passion until I realised he had asthma..."

Hope you're feeling better Mike.

Oh, had a alook in the Hobbyboss Rafale C box the other day. It's OK, but I actually prefer the Revell boxing for finesse of the mouldings and attention to detail. For example the lights in the leading edge of the wing (near the root) are clear in the Revell kit (though ill fitting), and the Hobbyboss kit is moulded with the wing. The wingtip lights on the launchers are also moulded in place in the Hobbyboss kit, whereas the Revell ones will sparkle as they are clear. Details also seemed to be slightly softer than the Revell kit, and the added "detail" in terms of rivets on the Hobbyboss kit I can live without. Glad to see that the A-10 kit is on a par with the Monogram kit though.

Jens

May we see some sprue pics Mike? :D

Also...cannot wait for you to start this one...always wanted to see one of these built up ;)

Im sure you will do up the kit well :thumbsup:

Yup... planning on taking a few today, if I can stay awake long enough. :sleep_1: WHEN I'll manage to start this one is a moot point... you probably know by now how easily distracted I am by the latest piece of shiny new plastic or resin :blush:

• 1 month later...

The A10 kit is a well produced, as we had two in our ModelZone branch.

Both the kits sold within 72 hours of delivery so this must say some thing about the quality of the kit and mouldings.

Jets are not my cup of tea normally, but this could change my mind so to speak.... :rolleyes:

Hi Spam, nice to see someone else from the County Town, saw the kit in the shop when it came in, agree with what you said, will have to reduce my stash before I get one.

Robin.

I was that impressed afetr looking at Mike's :analintruder: , thats enough of tha I'm married, that I went out and brought one. Then after studying it some more I've decided to get the single seater as well. Its worth it just for the weapon sprues.

Nige

I was that impressed afetr looking at Mike's :analintruder: , thats enough of tha I'm married, that I went out and brought one. Then after studying it some more I've decided to get the single seater as well. Its worth it just for the weapon sprues.

Nige

You kept that one quiet! :o

Was seriously tempted by one of these at Waddo last week. Due to the crap weather I spent a while taking walkaround type pics of the static A-10's - lots of lumps, bumps, wheels, weapons etc. those things have an enormous amount of kit bolted on / sticking out. Just need to get some Astra decals for a 'Spang' but can't decide whether to go for broke in 1/48 or wait for the little one.

Incidentally I was listening to the very crowd-friendly pilot who was selling T-shirts, answering questions and doing a very good job of suddenly going deaf when someone asked about details of the weapons systems.

Steve.