RAF 90th Anniversary Aerobatic Display Teams Build

I have started to make some progress on this project so thought it was time to share some progress. I missed finishing my Britmodeller 90th anniversary quick GB entry back at the end of April due to work commitments, but I still wanted to do something to commemorate the passing of the RAF’s 90th year. As such, I had a re-think and came up with something I felt suitable that would be both challenging and would focus my modelling activities through the rest of the year. Therefore I have decided to attempt to build an example of each aircraft flown by each of the major RAF aerobatic team since the 50s. I know there are a lot more minor teams, but that’s for 2009 :) . The deeper I get into it, the more I think this theme could continue for years if I were to include all the individual display aircraft from particular seasons!

So for now the list stands at:

“The Black Arrows” - 111 Sqn “Treble One” – Hawker Hunters

“The Blue Diamonds” – 92 Sqn – Hawker Hunters (My personal favourite)

“The Tigers” – 74 Sqn – EE Lightnings

“The Firebirds” – 56 Sqn - EE Lightnings

“The Red Pelicans” – Jet Provosts

“The Yellowjacks” – Folland Gnats

“The Red Arrows” – Folland Gnats

“The Red Arrows” – Bae Hawks

rafd1.jpg

In regards kit choice, a good round tour of a few of my nearest model shops the other week resulted in some good finds and an early start to the project. Although my login wouldn’t reveal it, I am based "up north" and can certainly recommend a visit to Halifax Modellers World if you are in the area, they have a great range of kits in stock and a lot of the stash for this project has come from there, the rest from Monk Bar Models in York. For some of the more obscure items, I think I will need to turn to Hannants. All the models are 1/72, my preferred scale.

At the moment the stash for this project comprises of:

2 x Revell Hunter Mk6s

1 x Revell Lightning F.6 (This will be downgraded to an F.3)

2 x Airfix Folland Gnats

1 x Revell (ex Italeri) Red Arrows Hawk

rafd2.jpg

I am hopefully waiting to see the new Trumpeter Lightnings later this year and am planning to purchase the re-release of the Airfix Provost/Strikemaster for the Red Pelicans. Failing that it may mean a visit to eBay for these models.

I started the project last weekend with both Airfix Gnats. I have decided to do them both together, one being the Yellowjacks and the other, the Red Arrows variant. Thankfully the Airfix kit is still widely available in 1/72. These models are using the new re-released kit and although are not massively detailed and have some raised lines, I think they will build into a nice pair of models and have enjoyed working with them so far. The kits are relatively flash free but do need a little cleaning up and the only real gap that needs filling is between the wing to fuselage joint. To my surprise the kit comes with painting and decal options for both the versions I need. The decals also cover the serial numbers for all nine aircraft so you can build a complete team if desired :suicide: Someone at Airfix did me a favour thinking this through. Here’s some of the weeks progress so far:

rafd3.jpg

Cockpit detail is minimal and cannot be seen once enclosed. No additional detail will be added, except maybe the ejector seat handles before closing the canopy in place. Thanks for the fuse wire tip bex :thumbsup:

rafd5.jpg

rafd4.jpg

Main fuselage construction completed. Some minor cleaning and sanding on the major parts was needed to give a smooth finish.

rafd6.jpg

I have just ordered my first airbrush this weekend but up to now I have always hand painted with enamels, these two are handpainted as such. My biggest concern with this project is getting the opacity right on the lighter gloss colours, especially the yellow. Both models have intially been undercoated matt white and here the Yellowjack has had one matt yellow base coat and its first gloss. Note that in the Airfix painting instructions it depicts only XR992 as having a black tail, I have never seen any other references to this but have decided to depict it on this model to a add a little variation. I am not sure if anyone knows the reasoning behind the black tail version?

rafd7.jpg

The Yellowjack has received its second and final coat of gloss, the drying times are requiring a lot patience! The Red Arrows variant has received a couple of white gloss coats where the white tail and fuselage flashes will appear. This will be painted as although the Airfix decals for these are ok, I think hand painting them will be both a good learning exercise for when the Blue Diamonds Hunter is on the workbench and also will be more apparent than the decals. I have masked the fin and am currently painting the gloss navy blue of the tail flash.

This is the progress up to date so far, I will post more as the weeks progress.

Regards.

Cornish.

Very nice idea, how are you gonna display them? Maybe something like all on the same base, in-flight, in some kind of cloverleaf formation would be a stunning eyecatcher. What are you doing for decals?

I have a picture of the Yellowjacks climbing vertically and XR992 is leading the formation, so presumably it was the Boss' mount? also whilst the fin is black the rudder is yellow. Also the machines themselves seem to be in a lemon yellow colour that is not as orangey as trainer yellow. Give me mo and I will do a scan.

peebeep

Thanks for the picture. Yes, I think it's safe to assume the balck tail is the boss's mount looking at this. I agree about the yellow as well, unfortuantly I have too many coats of Humbrol 69 applied to go back now.

In regards displaying, I have'nt thought too much about that yet but am proceeding with the undercarriages down for now, but your right some sort of inflight formation would look great - mmmm :hmmm:

For decals, for the Gnats and Hawk, I will be using the kit items and for the others I may be looking at using some decal paper and my inkjet. Can anybody recomend any good decal paper?

I didn't mean to rock your boat over colours Cornish, it was just a remark. How many models are you intending to display? I think you will find that the new Airfix Spitfire set comes with a stand that can pose up to five models.

peebeep

Interesting project :)

If you need any more 1:72 Gnats, I've got 2 somewhere, I think? And a Hawk. Yours if you want/need 'em. :D