1/72 Tornado F.3

hatchet

I did try searching 'over there', but I couldn't find anything, so:

Which is the best 1/72 Tornado F.3 kit?

And if you say Airfix I'll break down in tears - that kit is bad. Not as bad as their "Longbow", but still bad.

:viking:

The Hasegawa one's OK but the cockpit and engine exhausts aren't very accurate: a work of fiction is perhaps a kinder description. I haven't built one but the Italeri offering comes highly recommended as well.

As Jens says Flightpath have reissued the old PP Aeroparts Tornado F3 detail set which greatly improves the Hasegawa kit.

Edited by Richard E

Personally, I think the Hasegawa kit has the edge in overall finesse comapred to the Italeri kit (that has also been reboxed by Revell, though Revell's GR.1/IDS is their own and is superior to anything else in 1:72). The only shapewise thing I would correct would be the top of the tailfin which is too square. The cockpit wll benefit from some extra work and resin ejection seats, and the Hindenburger tanks can be taken from Revell's aforementioned GR.1 PP Aeroparts made a resin/white metal/photoetch detail set, and I think Flightpath have reissued it - you get a lot for your money here and is well worth having.

Jens

Concur with Chris, the Hasegawa is the best starting point. The Italeri/Revell jobbies are OKish, but the canopy framing ansd shape is out of sorts and the contours under the cockpit don't seem quite right. Still room for someone to produce a definitive F3.

peebeep

Edited by peebeep

IMO it's a toss up with the amount of work you need to do to make a decent one - The Hasegawa NEEDS the Flightpath set, and is far too expensive for what you get(£16 last time I looked!!). The Italeri kit needs about as much detailing, but is a good bit cheaper (esp if you can find it second hand).

One aspect of the Hasegawa kit that is hard to deal with is that the wing chord is too small.

Agree with Dave, the Hasegawa kit is better moulded but has accuracy issues, the Italeri kit is a fraction more accurate (save for the canopy frame) but isn't as well moulded. Bizarre as it sounds, an accurate, actual 1/72 Tornado of any marque is still to made.

The Flightpath set is very good, but as I helped work on the original PP set anyway, I'm bound to say that!

Edited by Jonathan Mock

The Flightpath set is very good, but as I helped work on the original PP set anyway, I'm bound to say that!

Going completely off topic any idea what happened to Tim Perry after he shut down PP Aeroparts, he was a very talented an innovative modeller.