• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#41 Mike

Mike

Proud dad

• Root Admin
  • 1,028,760 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:12 PM

On the subject of Best Of British, is there ANYTHING that sounds as good as the Merlin engine?

Dear Neil,

In answer to your question, the only thing that sounds better than a Merlin engine is TWO Merlin engines strapped to a wooden wonder! :wub:

I could be tempted to join with a Mossie... even though mine would look crap compared to Neil's :crying:

#42 Greg B

Greg B

Vegemite?

• Global Moderator
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:23 PM

Mmmm,
How about a Phantom? :winkgrin:
Jet engine invented by us, Ejector seats by Martin Baker, uses the steam catapult invented by us, need I add is slowed down on an angled deck (invented by us) by an arrestor hook, funnily enough we were there as well. Or am I being pedantic :innocent:

#43 daz greenwood

daz greenwood

THE LAND OF THE GYPSY TART :)

• Frozen
  • 7,844 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:29 PM

And wasn't the Aircraft Carrier invented by us too?

Although I could be wrong!

#44 peebeep

peebeep

Lots of trouble

• Banned
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:27 PM

Need a decision on a Phantom FGR2 please....a lot of it was British!

After consultation, regrettably we must declare F4's invalid. Whilst we acknowledge that the Yank's might need considerable assistance in designing and building a half decent aeroplane, FGR2's are at best Transatlantic and therefore not 100% British beef. :fraidnot: Sorry.

peebeep

#45 daz greenwood

daz greenwood

THE LAND OF THE GYPSY TART :)

• Frozen
  • 7,844 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:33 PM

Hi Paul.

What about the "Big-Wing" Harrier? Would that be eligible for the GB?

#46 peebeep

peebeep

Lots of trouble

• Banned
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:34 PM

How about a Phantom? :winkgrin:
Jet engine invented by us, Ejector seats by Martin Baker, uses the steam catapult invented by us, need I add is slowed down on an angled deck (invented by us) by an arrestor hook, funnily enough we were there as well. Or am I being pedantic :innocent:

Please refer to my response to Phreak's enquiry. All the inventions you mention are wonderfully British things (although our German friends might add a question mark to ejection seats), so how about a nice model of a British aircraft carrier to showcase them?

peebeep

#47 PHREAK

PHREAK

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:36 PM

After consultation, regrettably we must declare F4's invalid. Whilst we acknowledge that the Yank's might need considerable assistance in designing and building a half decent aeroplane, FGR2's are at best Transatlantic and therefore not 100% British beef. :fraidnot: Sorry.

peebeep

Not a problem!
Can I assume that a 1/6 scale plate of Chicken Tikka Massalla will count then? :whistle:

Perhaps a Meteor or a Mosquito it is then!

Edited by PHREAK, 11 May 2008 - 06:36 PM.

#48 peebeep

peebeep

Lots of trouble

• Banned
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:38 PM

And wasn't the Aircraft Carrier invented by us too?

Indeed, the Brits led the way in naval aviation intially and a model of HMS Furious would be highly suitable. In fact there are a number of carriers that would deserve a place in the display right up to the latest Ark Royal, provided it is wearing a White Ensign.

peebeep

#49 peebeep

peebeep

Lots of trouble

• Banned
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:42 PM

What about the "Big-Wing" Harrier? Would that be eligible for the GB?

:hmmm: Tricky one. I'll answer it if anybody actually proposes an entry...

peebeep

#50 peebeep

peebeep

Lots of trouble

• Banned
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:49 PM

Can I assume that a 1/6 scale plate of Chicken Tikka Massalla will count then? :whistle:

CTM is as British as roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, so it is definitely :thumbsup: , especially if you buy me some.

Perhaps a Meteor or a Mosquito it is then!

That's cookin' (sorry!)

peebeep

#51 peebeep

peebeep

Lots of trouble

• Banned
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:59 PM

Any news chap?

Nick, we are very keen to find a way to enable everybody to join in, regardless of their location and we are favourably disposed towards Geoff B's suggestion but need some time to cross the T's and dot the I's - actually we are waiting for Mike's hangover to clear up....

peebeep

#52 Seamus

Seamus

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:06 PM

That's a definite :thumbsup2: as an entry. There are other Britmodellers in your neck of the woods, I would hope that we could arrange for it to be transported assuming you complete a build.

peebeep

Right, well having never taken part in a group build, I'm more than happy to give the harrier a go. I'm quite a quick builder, so no danger of me not finishing, I'll actually have to learn to pace myself!

#53 Windy

Windy

FLY NAVY

• Gold Member
  • 673 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:12 PM

Well I have a CA Canberra B2 and a few Airfix Sea Harriers that are begging to be built. :winkgrin:

Also would a model of Doctor Who and the Tardis from Airfix count?????

Edited by Windy, 11 May 2008 - 08:13 PM.

#54 seanrgb

seanrgb

Very Obsessed Member

• Banned
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:14 PM

Well on top of my wall unit ..I just found a 1/32 Sea Venom ..never done a RN plane before

#55 dylan the rabbit

dylan the rabbit

What ho!

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:21 PM

Nick, we are very keen to find a way to enable everybody to join in, regardless of their location and we are favourably disposed towards Geoff B's suggestion but need some time to cross the T's and dot the I's - actually we are waiting for Mike's hangover to clear up....

peebeep

Fairynuff squire.

Looking forward to hearing vothappen.

Cheers,

Nick

#56 seanrgb

seanrgb

Very Obsessed Member

• Banned
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:56 AM

peebeep

Bit of a bugger that ..I have one in my stash ..also I have a Wessex ..and found out that's not British either
Ok how do we stand on these lot
Jaguar
And Concorde

#57 peebeep

peebeep

Lots of trouble

• Banned
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:27 AM

Also would a model of Doctor Who and the Tardis from Airfix count?????

Whilst the Doctor's nationality is Gallifreyan he always seem to be very British in personality don't you think? Also the fact that you could end up with a model of a 1950's British Police box with a couple of figures posed with it is entirely incidental ;) . So I would say :thumbsup: to, er, a 1950's British Police box!

peebeep

#58 peebeep

peebeep

Lots of trouble

• Banned
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:33 AM

Looking forward to hearing vothappen.

Nick - and any other BM'ers outside the UK who would like to join in the fun and games - we are not yet sure about the practicalities at this stage, but if you would like to join the GB we will find a way of setting up a photo montage of your efforts for the edification of SMW 2008 visitors. We would still encourage you to get the model itself to Telford, by hook or by crook, but if this is simply not feasible we see this as an alternative. So start making suggestions for entries and get building!

peebeep

#59 dylan the rabbit

dylan the rabbit

What ho!

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:58 AM

Lovely. Thanks mate.

I really think it would be a ballache to get the kit to Telford, but I'll still participate anyway with an Airfix 1/32nd E-type Jaguar and pleanty of photos!

Cheers,

Nick

#60 cmatthewbacon

cmatthewbacon

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:03 PM

Does the Airfix 1/12th Showjumper count? You don't get more British than an Airfix kit of Princess Anne, if you ask me! If so, count me in...

bestest,
M.