Best of British

Any news chap?

Nick, we are very keen to find a way to enable everybody to join in, regardless of their location and we are favourably disposed towards Geoff B's suggestion but need some time to cross the T's and dot the I's - actually we are waiting for Mike's hangover to clear up....

peebeep

That's a definite :thumbsup2: as an entry. There are other Britmodellers in your neck of the woods, I would hope that we could arrange for it to be transported assuming you complete a build.

peebeep

Right, well having never taken part in a group build, I'm more than happy to give the harrier a go. I'm quite a quick builder, so no danger of me not finishing, I'll actually have to learn to pace myself!

Well I have a CA Canberra B2 and a few Airfix Sea Harriers that are begging to be built. :winkgrin:

Also would a model of Doctor Who and the Tardis from Airfix count?????

Edited by Windy

Nick, we are very keen to find a way to enable everybody to join in, regardless of their location and we are favourably disposed towards Geoff B's suggestion but need some time to cross the T's and dot the I's - actually we are waiting for Mike's hangover to clear up....

peebeep

Fairynuff squire.

Looking forward to hearing vothappen.

Cheers,

Nick

After consultation, regrettably we must declare F4's invalid. Whilst we acknowledge that the Yank's might need considerable assistance in designing and building a half decent aeroplane, FGR2's are at best Transatlantic and therefore not 100% British beef. :fraidnot: Sorry.

peebeep

Bit of a bugger that ..I have one in my stash ..also I have a Wessex ..and found out that's not British either

Ok how do we stand on these lot

Jaguar

And Concorde

Also would a model of Doctor Who and the Tardis from Airfix count?????

Whilst the Doctor's nationality is Gallifreyan he always seem to be very British in personality don't you think? Also the fact that you could end up with a model of a 1950's British Police box with a couple of figures posed with it is entirely incidental ;) . So I would say :thumbsup: to, er, a 1950's British Police box!

peebeep

Looking forward to hearing vothappen.

Nick - and any other BM'ers outside the UK who would like to join in the fun and games - we are not yet sure about the practicalities at this stage, but if you would like to join the GB we will find a way of setting up a photo montage of your efforts for the edification of SMW 2008 visitors. We would still encourage you to get the model itself to Telford, by hook or by crook, but if this is simply not feasible we see this as an alternative. So start making suggestions for entries and get building!

peebeep

Does the Airfix 1/12th Showjumper count? You don't get more British than an Airfix kit of Princess Anne, if you ask me! If so, count me in...

Spiffing, alhough I would suggest a 'Princess Anne' (Royal?) lable firmly attached, so as not to confuse the model with any other Tom, Dick or Harold from outside GB!

So :thumbsup2:

BTW, watch out for the Airfix Collector's lynch mob!

peebeep

Bit of a bugger that ..I have one in my stash ..also I have a Wessex ..and found out that's not British either

Ok how do we stand on these lot

Jaguar

And Concorde

A Wessex is British, its a Yank design for the frame but with turbine engines cos the piston of the original were not powerful enough and the Yanks only ever trialled their own turbine version. Besides which they were made in the UK!

We could by rights go for a Mustang as it was built to a british specification and only worked properly when a Merlin was put in it! :D

Sorry chaps, but you are missing the point of Best of British by attempting to introduce Transatlantacism, or Anglo French/German, Anglo Whatever. Think Bowler hats, fish and chips, Buckingham Palace, real ale etc etc. Pure 100% unadulterated British beef.

peebeep

Sorry chaps, but you are missing the point of Best of British by attempting to introduce Transatlantacism, or Anglo French/German, Anglo Whatever. Think Bowler hats, fish and chips, Buckingham Palace, real ale etc etc. Pure 100% unadulterated British beef.

peebeep

Well, in that case I'm going to paint Sean Barely Grey and have him mounted on a Plinth, as thats the closest I'll get to 100% unadulterated British Beef! As we have then lost the big wing Harrier, Gazelle, Sea-King, Merlin, Griffon, Lynx, Squirrel, Typhoon, Jag, Toom, Herc, Tristar etc. :fraidnot:

Well, in that case I'm going to paint Sean Barely Grey and have him mounted on a Plinth, as thats the closest I'll get to 100% unadulterated British Beef!

Er you'll have to think again there Greg

My mums side are a mixture of the following ..right here we go

Irish, French , Russian Jews , Indian ,

And the old daddies side ..I think there is a bit of German

So I'm about as British as the Royal Family matey

Er you'll have to think again there Greg

My mums side are a mixture of the following ..right here we go

Irish, French , Russian Jews , Indian ,

And the old daddies side ..I think there is a bit of German

So I'm about as British as the Royal Family matey

There is the point, its not the origin its how its used!

I'm a bit disapointed as that means for us Aircraft modellers anything past the lightning is well out, unless you go for a Hawk or Gnat!

I'm a bit disapointed as that means for us Aircraft modellers anything past the lightning is well out, unless you go for a Hawk or Gnat!

Buccaneer ?? you could do that one Vulcan Victor or if your man enough that lovely mach1 Valiant

Canberra , Nimrod ..don't know might be a few others

Or you could do the left wing of a Eurofighter :analintruder:

As we have then lost the big wing Harrier, Gazelle, Sea-King, Merlin, Griffon, Lynx, Squirrel, Typhoon, Jag, Toom, Herc, Tristar etc.

I would be prepared to allow the Harrier, but the point of this GB and the display is for it to be a celebration of all that we think is best about our British-ness, unadulterated by input from elsewhere. The subjects you mention are all very worthy but they ain't 100% British. It is perhaps a sad reflection on our modern times that unlike the French we cannot look upon much of our equipment as being indigenous, but that's how it is and the organisers of the GB were well aware of this when they came up with the concept.

peebeep

Buccaneer ?? you could do that one Vulcan Victor or if your man enough that lovely mach1 Valiant

Canberra , Nimrod ..don't know might be a few others

Or you could do the left wing of a Eurofighter :analintruder:

I'm getting a wooden plinth, a 5l tin of Barley Grey, 2 six inch nails and a 3" paintbrush. Best brace yourself matey!

:shithappens: Get your Rose tinted specs out and start looking backwards!

peebeep

If thats the case, because they are rose tinted I'm in with a Pink Spit to match your frillies!