Best of British

This is the place to sign up and let us know that you intend to help us put on a stunning display at Scalemodelworld 2008. The rules for entries are very simple. Any type of subject matter will be considered as long as it is British and Excellent. British and Naff will be excluded, so your build must be representative of the very best of British inventiveness, science, technology, art and design. Your build could also be an outstanding British personality or character. To be eligible, entries must be available for display on either day, but preferably both days of SMW 2008. In fact to be in with a chance to win a prize (did I mention prizes?) it would be better if your model is there for the duration, because anybody visiting the Hallowed Britmodeller tables will be able to cast a vote as to what they think is the best entry.

Myself (peebeep), dswoofie and seanrgb will be hosting this GB and will confirm whether or not we think your proposed entry satisfies the criteria of Britishness and excellence. We will try and be as flexible as possible, but we are really looking for the Best of British! Once confirmation is received you can start your build thread in the appropriate place and get building!

Here's the very Best of British to ya!

peebeep

I propose to build the Avro Anson, the aircraft most responsible for the RAF's ability to wage aerial war during WW2. It was an innovative design and was the RAF's first aircraft featuring a retractable undercarriage. Early in the war it carried out coastal patrols and succesfully attacked enemy submarines and aircraft, memorably shooting down several Me109's over Dunkirk on one occasion.

The design was adapted and used extensivley as a training and communications aircraft, throughout the commonwealth in large numbers. It was used for Gunnery, Navigation, Pilot and Observer training in GB, Canada, South Africa, Australia. Thus providing the aircrews which went onto frontline duties with Bomber Command. The design proved very adaptable and continued in service long after the war both with the RAF and other allied air forces, and numerous airlines and transport companies around the world earning the nickname "Faithful Annie!.

Best

Rich

Hmmmmmmmmm! I've can think of a few!

Paul would a Challenger 2 be acceptable mate?

Yep It's British Daz ..I think your OK in the Armour .. I Think Sherman's are out in this though as they were American

there's a lot of Grey area's in the Aircraft which is British , but as for Armour your covered

OK!

First idea then is one of these three:

9ccb8246ff44ef45a098e51f6d4ad0c1.jpg

3b580d374402ef363e3ef038657cf1f7.jpg

bbc82de2d10fe84dd6af35b119bea83b.jpg

Ha Ha

You beat me too it I'm going with a few of these myself ..Might be doing a few Battle of Britain Classes

Plus with the Deltic ..I might change it a Little into a Green British Railways version

As someone who won't be attending SMW 2008, and wouldn't be couriering the model over for exhibiting, I take it that puts me out of submitting anything?

Cheers,

Nick

No reason not to join in Nick, even if the model isn't going to be phyisically on display, photographs of it could be and used to show the wide coverage of the membership. Pretty sure the gang will want to be as inclusive as possible to show the Website and its membership in the best light by including items from those who can not attend the show.

Of course its upto peepbeep and the gang running the tables to determine the best course of action.

Cheers

Geoff

As someone who won't be attending SMW 2008, and wouldn't be couriering the model over for exhibiting, I take it that puts me out of submitting anything?

Cheers,

Nick

Under discussion Nick - bear with us ;)

I am offering a Trumpeter Hood in 1/350 or (maybe and) an Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Ia. Not only a great British creation in the flesh, but also in the form of one of Airfix's best ever kits (imo)

Jen.

Jen posted this elsewhere and I have transferred it here. As a 'tween the wars British icon the Hood definitely passes muster. Spitfire? Does that require a reply?!

:thumbsup:

BTW on the topic of Spitfires, whilst one can't have too many we would like some variety for the SMW 2008 display. I will look forward to your Spitfire Jen, that's for sure.

peebeep

My initial reaction is that it is insufficiently British to be included, but I will refer this to dswoofie and seanrgb to see what they think.

peebeep

I will be seeing them at the Gloucester show tomorrow ......I know people ya know :fight:

Absolutely topping Eastender! This is what we want! I have all three in my own stash and was thinking about doing one of them. Which one do you fancy most?

peebeep

Well Sean fancies the Deltic, so I think I'll go for Rocket. So completely different to my normal train stuff, it'll be a nice departure (if you'll pardon the pun!)

I'm thinking about a Mosquito too, (see here) which is obviously British and brilliant, but in a fictitious scheme, from a brilliant British comic Would that be OK?

Edited by EastEnder

Well, my tuppenyworth - Mosquito, Spitfire, Comet, Hunter, Harrier; for the treadheads the Churchill, and the original Mk1 WW1 tank. How about the 'Flying Scotsman' for the train buffs, and for the naval fans, get an HMS Victory.

Plenty of choice...now who wants what? :D

I will be seeing them at the Gloucester show tomorrow ......I know people ya know :fight:

Ha Ha I'm scared now :analintruder: ... We are open to bribes say Keep us in coffee and bacon butties

And we'll have a think about your American Plane that was sent in a kit to Shorts in Belfast :analintruder:

Plus I do have a Fujimi FGR for sale because I can't be bothered To smash it up with a hammer , Sorry ment build it

A very British comic book.

peebeep

OK - I've been racking my brains for something different with not much luck - best I've come up with is the HP O/400 or maybe a larger scale Sopwith Camel in one of those garrish training squadron colour schemes, but if comic book schemes are to be permitted then can we go down the British Sci Fi route - in particular Thunderbirds for example - they don't come much more British and Stiff Upper Lip than Lady Penelope and Parker do they?

Cheers

Al

Ha Ha I'm scared now :analintruder: ... We are open to bribes say Keep us in coffee and bacon butties

And we'll have a think about your American Plane that was sent in a kit to Shorts in Belfast :analintruder:

Plus I do have a Fujimi FGR for sale because I can't be bothered To smash it up with a hammer , Sorry ment build it

What a splendid chap you are Sean old bean (pun intended).

I will not be in the slightest bit offended if you tell me to get stuffed.

Safe travels mate.

Be seeing you late morning.

Rich