Available aftermarket for Airfix 48th Harriers

Matt Roberts

With the 25th Anniversary of the Falklands war and the resulting coverage in this months (here in the States) and nexts MAM I am wondering what is CURRENTLY available to update the Airfix kits? I have plenty of articles from a while back but as is most common with aftermarket once it is gone it is gone for good.

The main thing I guess I'd be looking for for thse kits would probably just be intakes, seats and decals (lets hope Airfix fired thier previous printer!)

I just saw in the current (again over here) SAMI the Modelers Datafile for the SHAR :speak_cool: , and I am viffing with joy right now and look forward to this one as much as the original Hurricane release, lets hope the binding holds up better to repeated useage than that one has.

Any rumblings out there of either a rerelease of the Airfix kits or a new mold kit?

Matt

<clip>

In the May 2007 issue of Model Aircraft Monthly (Vol.6 Iss.5) there are good articles on improving/ accurising the Airfix 1/48 Harrier GR.3 and Sea Harrier FRS.1

Cheers,

Chris.

Thanks for the info, sometimes it is hard to find out what is currently available in England over here in the States.

I'm hoping to pick up this months MAM on my way home from work in a few minutes

Thanks

Matt

NeOmega do a Sea Harrier cockpit that is a vast improvement on the Airfix pit. Eduard photoetch is useful for a few bits like the MDC for the canopy and windvane as well as the thrust vector controls for the tail area. An alternative to buying resin may be to get a cheap Monogram AV-8A/Harrier GR.1 and butcher that. Or even chop the nose off and use the Airfix nose only. Don't forget to use the airbrake from the Sea Harrier kit though if that's what you're making...

Jens

Additionally Matt, Flightpath do a couple of PE/Resin sets...for the SHAR 1 & SHAR 2; Includes loads of PE actually...the laminated crew access ladders are nice, as are the tie downs, FOD covers antennae, cockpit sills, airbrake detail....etc., Also has white metal Side winders/Sea Eagle's and AMRAAMs (depending on which mark) with etched fins ....pricey but mostly useable...

Picture038.jpg

Additionally I'd certainly recommend the Neomega pit for the SHAR1 (and...don't let on, but I actually used it on my SHAR2 as well!!!!)

As for the nozzles - Airwaves, Pavla or Heritage do nice replacement sets......

NeOmega do a Sea Harrier cockpit that is a vast improvement on the Airfix pit. Eduard photoetch is useful for a few bits like the MDC for the canopy and windvane as well as the thrust vector controls for the tail area. An alternative to buying resin may be to get a cheap Monogram AV-8A/Harrier GR.1 and butcher that. Or even chop the nose off and use the Airfix nose only. Don't forget to use the airbrake from the Sea Harrier kit though if that's what you're making...

Jens

That is actually what I'd like to be able to do but the Monogram kit has been OOP for nearly 20 years now. It was almost like the F9F-5 Panther kit that was released once around 1990 and went unseen until 2002 or so and is gone again.

The MAM didn't come in yesterday but I am still wanting it before the Holliday weekend starts this afternoon.

Matt

Jens

Don't forget the RWR on the fin and the tail cone, plus the pylons on the SHARs are different as well.

I can't figure why that 1/48 Monogram AV-8A has never been reissued in what seems like decades as its a superb kit.

Just picked up the current (US) issue of Model Aircraft Monthly and wow....the Harrier articles are great but actually getting the colors picked out and cross ref'ed to Polly Scale (amongst others)- YES!!! FINALLY!!!

An amazing magazine for those of us old enough to remember getting home from High School turning on that new channel CNN and watching the 'International Hour' at 3p to see what news was coming from the Task Force. Is it really 25 years and am I really 42 this year!

Thanks for the info guys and I think I'll try to pick up a Harrier or SHAR or two to go with my Skyhawks

Matt