Johnny Red's Hurricane

Ahh, the memories of 1978.

Straight out of shool every Monday (I think), down to Stingy Stan's newsagent for my 8p copy of Battle and a 5p mix bag of sweets, home and settle down to a cracking read.

My favourite was, of course, Johnny Red and his Hurricane.

I'm researching building a kit of the same fictional Sea Hurricane using a Revell 1/72nd Sea Hurricane kit.

As far as I can see from flicking through Falcon Squadron at sevenpennynightmare, his crate was a standard Sea Hurricane. It had no squadron code, a fuselage band and the serial number was P-7085. The red falcon was painted on by those crazy Ruskies. I'm presuming it was red.

In terms of colours, I'm presuming it's standard FAA Hurricane colours: The band would be sky, the underneath would be sky and the topsides Dark Sea Grey and Extra Dark Slate Grey.

For the factual colours, please correct me if I'm wrong, and for the fictional serial number, if any Johnny Red fans know different, please let me know.

Cheers,

Nick

Memories indeed...was my favourite read, and I can remember when the illustrators changed from Colquhoun to Cooper, with the former taking on 'Charleys War'.

The storylines were great, but the Colquhoun days were, IMHO, the best. Mmmmm nostalgia!!!!!!!

Regards

Andy

Nick I'd go for the standard FAA hurricane colours chum :) , I can't remember any serial numbers on Johnny's bird, just go for it, I've been thinking of doing one to

104.jpg

105.jpg

107.jpg

108.jpg

Hi guys here we go, I've still got all mine and read them often

109.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

• Like 1

here you go chum :)

113.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

116.jpg

117.jpg

Just been playing IL-2 flying Johnny's Hurricane :pilot: and took these photos hope there okay nick, they seem to have put a serial number on her to :hmmm:

2008_0113Devilschariot0002.jpg

2008_0113Devilschariot0003.jpg

2008_0113Devilschariot0004.jpg

Whilst looking for pics of Johnny's crate, I came across the page for the downloads for IL-2 with his Hurricane on it.

Interestingly, they offer both the one you have..

Rab_MkIIbModJohnnyFalcon.gif

And this one, with his serial number on it, and a more faithful repro of the green/dark earth camo that was in the comics..

Rab_MkIIbJohnnyFalcon.gif

Linky here..

http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Do...tails&id=17

I know his plane was FAA, but I'm feeling more inclined to paint it like the second option..

Nick

Here we go me old chums

118.jpg

119.jpg

120.jpg

121.jpg

122.jpg

123.jpg

124.jpg

125.jpg

126.jpg

Nick which one are you going to do :analintruder:

127.jpg

128.jpg

129.jpg

130.jpg

131.jpg

132.jpg

133.jpg

134.jpg

135.jpg

Ahh, that'll be Johnny Red that's handling those..

You do have a link for the Johnny Red website, don't you?

Nick

Sorry Dylan, a bit too excited i was!!

I don't have a link for the website, do you?

136.jpg

137.jpg

138.jpg

139.jpg

140.jpg

141.jpg

142.jpg

143.jpg

144.jpg

Hi all the last instalment, How did the red devil come back from the dead!

145.jpg

146.jpg

147.jpg

148.jpg

Nick which one are you going to do :analintruder:

Technically, I should do the FAA colours, but I always remember the comics being in standard dark earth and green, so I'm probably going to go for that one.

I've already contacted Aeropoxy about making some masks for the falcon and the serial number, and I'm going to use the Revell Hurricane I was going to build for the SEAC build as Johnny's crate.

Ripping yarn that Flegl one. I remember it well!

Cheers chum,

Nick

If i remember rightly, wasent the Hurricane from a cam ship,that would make it an old RAF machine.I would go for the brown green scheme.I used have most of the battle comics in my mum and dads loft,and like a prat i binned them when they moved.Am kicking myself now.My fav stories where Charlies war,Jonnie red and a story about the vietnam war called (i think) colonel Mann.This was about a chap looking for his missing son in vietnam.I remember him banging out of the back seat of an f4 to get in country.Great stuff.....Neil

Technically, I should do the FAA colours, but I always remember the comics being in standard dark earth and green, so I'm probably going to go for that one.

I've already contacted Aeropoxy about making some masks for the falcon and the serial number, and I'm going to use the Revell Hurricane I was going to build for the SEAC build as Johnny's crate.

Ripping yarn that Flegl one. I remember it well!

Cheers chum,

Nick

dylan How much will that cost if you don't mind me asking mate :hmmm: I might try that my self sometime