Trumpeter 1/48 Sea Fury FB.11

darson

I've just had a read of the preview for the new Trumpeter 1/48 Sea Fury Modeling Madness Link it's pretty much as I suspected it was going to be and I'll be happy enough to make the mods I need and care about. The 1/72 Trumpy Sea Fury builds up into a nice little kit but I've been waiting for a decent Sea Fury in 48th scale forever.

It's currently going for $55 AUD on HLJ but they are rip off merchants and the price will decrease dramatically when it filters down to the better online asian stores.

Cheers

I've just had a read of the preview for the new Trumpeter 1/48 Sea Fury Modeling Madness Link it's pretty much as I suspected it was going to be and I'll be happy enough to make the mods I need and care about. The 1/72 Trumpy Sea Fury builds up into a nice little kit but I've been waiting for a decent Sea Fury in 48th scale forever.

It's currently going for $55 AUD on HLJ but they are rip off merchants and the price will decrease dramatically when it filters down to the better online asian stores.

Cheers

Lookng at the sprue shots on Cybermodeler, it looks as if they've screwed the rockets again. Or maybe I've got it wrong.

Dave.

Lookng at the sprue shots on Cybermodeler, it looks as if they've screwed the rockets again. Or maybe I've got it wrong.

Dave.

I've got to admit I'm not a rocket expert Dave, what do you think is wrong with them?

Is it just me or the shape of the fuselage under the exhausts is a bit suspect, like if it's too square ? It didn't convince me in the 72 kit, and seems to me that they copied it in the 48 one. Not that I liked the Special Hobby interpretation anyway...

Giorgio

Is it just me or the shape of the fuselage under the exhausts is a bit suspect, like if it's too square ? It didn't convince me in the 72 kit, and seems to me that they copied it in the 48 one. Not that I liked the Special Hobby interpretation anyway...

Giorgio

I agree, the fairings look the wrong shape at their rear, should curve down more gently and be longer, I had a look at some pics of the real aircraft to confirm this. The prop also looks a bit odd and the drop tanks a bit fat. Filling in all the "divots" will be a pain (why oh why do Trumpeter keep doing this and on their 1/32 stuff as well). I'll still get one though and check for any other problems when i have it in my hands. An aftermarket wheelwell and new cockpit would be nice as both look somewhat shallow. When I get the kit I'll check to see if Flightpath cockpit fits. Lets hope they got the wing aerofoil section correct unlike the Hobbycrap 1/32 mess!

Andy

Filling in all the "divots" will be a pain (why oh why do Trumpeter keep doing this and on their 1/32 stuff as well).

Now Andy.... Andy, Andy, Andy.... Don't you know (because the "experts" have spoken on this, and provided us with photos) that Sea Furies, and of course all other airplanes, were literally *covered* with 3" wide, 2" deep divots? I've seen the pics. It's proven fact. Those lines of divots are fact, and I, for one, am happy as can be that Trumpeter has at long, long last seen fit to produce some truly *accurate* models of flush-riveted airplanes for us. Now I don't have to go to all the trouble to replicate all 423,958 rivets that the Sea Fury actually has (remember those photos...). No, I can sit back with my completed model, divots filled with nice black wash, and admire how much it truly, honestly looks like the real thing.

No my friend, Trumpeter is the industry leader here. We should bow down to them and praise their courage for finally getting it right in the face of much criticism.

:)

J

I'm going to stick up for the "Hobbycrap" Sea Fury for a moment here because when it came out in 1989 new British WWII or immediate-Post War stuff was next to zilch so while Hobby-craft's Sea Fury might not have had the bells and whistles of the Hasegawa or Fujimi stuff at the time (and remember, Tamiya were'nt doingg new aircraft at that time) at least someone as prepared to try something different.

Like the kit or don't like it, but at least cut Hobbycraft some slack for trying to give modellers something different.

I'm going to stick up for the "Hobbycrap" Sea Fury for a moment here because when it came out in 1989 new British WWII or immediate-Post War stuff was next to zilch so while Hobby-craft's Sea Fury might not have had the bells and whistles of the Hasegawa or Fujimi stuff at the time (and remember, Tamiya were'nt doingg new aircraft at that time) at least someone as prepared to try something different.

Like the kit or don't like it, but at least cut Hobbycraft some slack for trying to give modellers something different.

Hear Hear!!!!!!

I like Trumpy kits, but as far as I can see from the pictures posted, the Hobycraft kit will do for me especially with the great aftermarket items available.

Chris.

I seem to recall you making one of these with the PP Aerokits upgrade set for SMI back in the mid 90s. Would that be correct? It made me lust after that upgrade set, but I could never afford it...

I'm not sure about the tanks being too big. All the tanks in every Sea Fury kit are too big but then we've all been comparing them with Tempest drop tanks that we know the Sea Fury carried also.

However, I read mention in a Tony Buttler article on the Sea Fury in Air Enthusiast of two types of drop tanks that the Sea Fury could carry - 45 gal and 90 gal. I think that the fat tanks are the latter, but we've been conditioned to expect the 45 gal Tempest tanks and photographic evidence for the use of the former is hard to find.

Well, that's my theory anyway.

Here's mine. WIP. Result of a three days W.-E.

Thanks Cutting Edge for the cockpit, the drop tanks etc.

Not bad at all, but too much parts: for the wings as for the noose. The Centaurus nacelle is composed of no less than seven parts... with no engine inside... Chinese art of torture I suppose.

img0265gm1.th.jpg img0268vy9.th.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

I'm going to stick up for the "Hobbycrap" Sea Fury for a moment here ...

Me too. The panel lines are a bit overdone and the cockpit is basic but it goes together very well. I had a lot of pleasure building mine as a "Baghdad Fury" suitably converted. I've still got decals left on the aftermarket sheet so I'll be on the lookout for the Trumpeter version. Think I might use several coats of primer to tone-down those rivets, though.

Now Andy.... Andy, Andy, Andy.... Don't you know (because the "experts" have spoken on this, and provided us with photos) that Sea Furies, and of course all other airplanes, were literally *covered* with 3" wide, 2" deep divots? I've seen the pics. It's proven fact. Those lines of divots are fact, and I, for one, am happy as can be that Trumpeter has at long, long last seen fit to produce some truly *accurate* models of flush-riveted airplanes for us. Now I don't have to go to all the trouble to replicate all 423,958 rivets that the Sea Fury actually has (remember those photos...). No, I can sit back with my completed model, divots filled with nice black wash, and admire how much it truly, honestly looks like the real thing.

No my friend, Trumpeter is the industry leader here. We should bow down to them and praise their courage for finally getting it right in the face of much criticism.

:)

J

:D

Have the PP set, but not the Trumpeter kit. When I procure the latter, I'll let you know. I can't imagine that it'll be that difficult to do it.

J

And thats just the thing Jennings, do I want to buy the Trumpy kit or just live with the fixes needed on the Hobbycraft one??

Decisions, decisions

Well, I'm not going to trash my HC kit - yet. I've never been a fan of its Matchbox-esque panel lines, and I like the fact that Trumpeter will let me fold the wings OOTB. I'm definitely getting a Trumpy kit, much as I detest the rivets. I have a good stock of 55 gallon drums of Mr. Surfacer laid in, so I should be good. Once I get it, I'll let you know.

J

You like it or not but the Trumpeter 1/48th Sea Fury is a reality... And she's definitely better than the Hobbycraft.

img0277qr7.th.jpg img0274vu0.th.jpg

Any rivet haters online?

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

You like it or not but the Trumpeter 1/48th Sea Fury is a reality... And she's definitely better than the Hobbycraft.

Not doubting it at all, I think it looks superb - those rivets look fine under a coat of paint.

Just wish Hobbycraft were cut some slack for at least trying something different 20 years ago.

Edited by Jonathan Mock