100 Group/214 Sqn Fortress III

Grizly

After having read Murray Peden's "A Thousand Shall Fall", I resurrected my Monogram B-17 and am slowly working towards a 214 Squadron Fortress III. While I understand no guns were carried in the nose or through the skylight window in radio operator's station and the cheek windows were normally painted out black as were a portion of the cockpit side windows, is there any evidence to indicate that the afore mentioned radio operator's skylight and side windows were also painted out as a means of containing internal light?

After having read Murray Peden's "A Thousand Shall Fall", I resurrected my Monogram B-17 and am slowly working towards a 214 Squadron Fortress III. While I understand no guns were carried in the nose or through the skylight window in radio operator's station and the cheek windows were normally painted out black as were a portion of the cockpit side windows, is there any evidence to indicate that the afore mentioned radio operator's skylight and side windows were also painted out as a means of containing internal light?

Good book - 214 is close to my heart - 100 group HQ, Bylaugh Hall is just up the road and we go there occasionally, and Oulton is a little further on. I think the blacked out windows varied from aircraft to aircraft - the I think also the cockpit windows were so painted to avoid searchlight glare. There were also some other mods. - For example BU-Q had three small windows in the nose - rather than 2 - like the "E". Have you any particular a/c in mind - if so I will try to help - and may also be able to contact someone in 100 Group.

I was planning on completing the model to represent BU*G/HB774. The information I have indicates the cheek windows were painted out as were the lower half of the aft cockpit windows. The reason I raised the question regarding the radio operator's windows, given the navigator's windows were painted out, one would think that the same reasoning would have applied to the radio operator's station and they too would have been painted over. The aircraft also had the ABC transmission mast, the LORAN trailing antenna, the Carpet III aerial, and Airborne Grocer and Monica aerials on the tail.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Iain

Good book - 214 is close to my heart - 100 group HQ, Bylaugh Hall is just up the road and we go there occasionally, and Oulton is a little further on. I think the blacked out windows varied from aircraft to aircraft - the I think also the cockpit windows were so painted to avoid searchlight glare. There were also some other mods. - For example BU-Q had three small windows in the nose - rather than 2 - like the "E". Have you any particular a/c in mind - if so I will try to help - and may also be able to contact someone in 100 Group.

One of the best wartime recounts that I've read. David, do you know whether the ORBs are available for 100 Group: I'm particularly interested in their operations for the night of 3 March 45 for a book that I'm writing.

regards

Max

One of the best wartime recounts that I've read. David, do you know whether the ORBs are available for 100 Group: I'm particularly interested in their operations for the night of 3 March 45 for a book that I'm writing.

regards

Max

I don't I am afraid - bit out of touch with Kew recently - but at Blickling Hall NT incidentally -(which was used by the RAF as Billett for personel at Oulton) is a small Museum for the Base and 100 Group. I think Murray Pedan is still alive and in Canada and I may be able to contact him. It is also possible I can contact other 100 Group personnel.

Iain - can I come back to you - as it amy take a bit of time - so far as I can see the Wops windows do not seem to have been painted out. If the reason I have been told was to avoid searchlight glare then that might make sense.

I take it you have both heard of/seen the Streetly Books?

If you mean "Confound and Destroy" then, yes, it's on my bookshelf. Fascinating book, especially immediately after "A Thousand Shall Fall".

Any conatcts with 100 Group would be appreciated David.

Regards

Max

If you mean "Confound and Destroy" then, yes, it's on my bookshelf. Fascinating book, especially immediately after "A Thousand Shall Fall".

Try the follow-up, Modelling the Aircraft of 100 Group, which was published by PSL after appearing in a series of articles in Scale Models.

As previously noted, I have "A Thousand Shall Fall" plus the April 1980 Issue of Scale Models that has the article on the 100 Group B-17s. The picture of 6G*B in the latter (Pg 187) does tend to confirm the radio operator's windows (on that aircraft) were not painted over. Thanx for the Scale Models tip.