Colourful Spitfire XVI's

John

I've just acquired Lifelike Decals sheet 48-006, through Bill Clarke's good offices, for when I get round to building my "Club Edition" Airfix Spitfire. The decals in my Airfix kit look fine but I bought the Lifelike decals for the metallic gold printing for the all black TE199, which is rendered as a light brown on the kit sheet. Of course having got the sheet I'm now wondering about the other schemes, particularly AVM Robb's SL721.

I have a couple of questions to throw into the pot about these various schemes, namely:

The blue of SL721 - any ideas what the shade might be?

and

returning to the kit sheet, anyone else think the roundels and fuselage ands are too dark?

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled/Su...next_id=0924293

The kit decals look like the wartime shades, whereas the real thing looks like the modern BS shades.

John

returning to the kit sheet, anyone else think the roundels and fuselage ands are too dark?

The kit decals look like the wartime shades, whereas the real thing looks like the modern BS shades.

I do, I was looking at the sheet last night thinking exactly that. I'm in two minds what to do, although the red stripes aren't much of a problem do I invest in roundels etc, or simply go for an alternative scheme?

peebeep

I do recall a debate that SL712 was Cambridge Blue

That's quite a light shade, isn't it? I wonder if we're back with our old friend BS381c101 Sky Blue?

John

I do, I was looking at the sheet last night thinking exactly that. I'm in two minds what to do, although the red stripes aren't much of a problem do I invest in roundels etc, or simply go for an alternative scheme?

peebeep

Type "C" roundels in modern colours may not be that easy to find.

John

Hi John,

Also to note is that SL 721 had standard wingtips not the clipped ones.

Christian

That's quite a light shade, isn't it? I wonder if we're back with our old friend BS381c101 Sky Blue?

John

This was it's modern scheme, but IIRC was well reserched (IIRc RAF Rank pennants are Oxford and Cambridge Blues)

spit-sl721.jpg

Edited by Dave Fleming

Maybe Oxford Blue but surely RAF Ensign Blue would have been the lighter colour on the pennants - they are supposed to be flags (ensigns) after all. Cambridge Blue is lighter, quite a lot lighter. My understanding is that JMR was in a Royal Blue, similar to the prewar roundel, but I don't have any final word.

• 2 months later...

Having picked up a set of CanMilAir decals to do AVM Robb's Spitfire recently http://www.canmilair.com/products.asp?cat=38&pg=10 , I have the same query over the blue colour. I've read an article that it is a shade of French blue as photos show it to have a tinge of purple/lilac to it. The article has a description of what that modeller had come up with but trying to duplicate the instruction on the mix is a bit vague, "a large dollop or two of ---- added to "about" half and half" doesn't quite cut the mustard does it?

I've tried a couple of times but all I've done is waste a lot of paint, any ideas to the mix would be appreciated here too. What I have found out is that Robb had the colour custom mixed from all places, an auto body shop. The photo of it in the CanMilAir link also shows the wings to be clipped, and this is the real SL721

Cheers,

Robert

Edited by kitnut617

Having picked up a set of CanMilAir decals to do AVM Robb's Spitfire recently http://www.canmilair.com/products.asp?cat=38&pg=10 , I have the same query over the blue colour. I've read an article that it is a shade of French blue as photos show it to have a tinge of purple/lilac to it. The article has a description of what that modeller had come up with but trying to duplicate the instruction on the mix is a bit vague, "a large dollop or two of ---- added to "about" half and half" doesn't quite cut the mustard does it?

I've tried a couple of times but all I've done is waste a lot of paint, any ideas to the mix would be appreciated here too. What I have found out is that Robb had the colour custom mixed from all places, an auto body shop. The photo of it in the CanMilAir link also shows the wings to be clipped, and this is the real SL721

Cheers,

Robert

MAP Azure Blue has quite a marked violet tone to it in some lights.

John