Dakota at Cosford 2007

HP42

I bought two tickets to fly to the Cosford airshow last June. It was a fab trip that gave me the chance to arrive in style in the DC3 from Air Atlantic. It's such a shame the 'Elf 'n'safety' mob have sunk their teeth into this aircraft and stopped it flying with passengers......criminal if you ask me.....

Anyway, I took my Mamyia medium format and snapped a few shots. This one is heavily reduced to get it into photobucket, but it's superbly clear in full resolution, you can see every rivet.

Comments welcome, especially should I go digital SLR and chop in the Mamyia?

Thanks,

Phil

Photo03_3.jpg at Cosford in the morning.

Back at Coventry that afternoon. A tad over exposed, but the camera is steam driven.....

Dakota.jpg

Edited by Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob

It makes no sense at all although I though it was the European Parliament not "elf-n-safety" that had caused the Dakota's retirement.

Much as I've grown to love my digital camera over the last couple of years I think your picture shows how far they've still got to evolve until they can replace really good quality film cameras.

:whistle: I think that those panel lines under the nose could do with a skim over with wet n'dry. Great pictures. A Dakota was the first aircraft I ever flew in, nearly 60 years ago.

Robin.

That's the problem with the EU parliament, soon you won't be able to go to the bog without filling in a H&S form in triplicate and taking an industrial-sized roll of Andrex in with you. Also you'll have to take in some anti-bacterial wipes, Oust air freshener and a bloody great carton of swarfega. After giving yourself a hernia carting that lot in, you can have a c**p!

Seriously though, a great couple of pics of a lovely aircraft. I flew in one of the Air Atlantique's Daks with my Dad after Biggin c.1984. A treat I will never forget. Stupidly, I didn't take a camera. Best hour's fun ever.

A Dakota was the first aircraft I ever flew in.

Robin.

Same here.

It was in an Air Atlantique Dak, at one of the Warbird displays they used to have at West Malling, ears and ears ago.

I paid for me and my little Brother (also his first flight). I loved every minute, but my Brother was a little more nervous about flying in an aircraft that was forty odd years old though (at the time).

Kids ehhh. :rolleyes:

Phil, great shots of a lovely airplane. :wub:

Cor Smiffy! Warbirds at West Malling. I remember that. That was a quality show.

Again taken there by my Dad. Brilliant day out. My grandparents lived in Barming about 2 miles away so the day I didn't go, I just sat in their garden watching everything fly over. Great times.

Sadly the airfield has virtually gone, supplanted by offices, industrial units and Kent's version of 'Wisteria Drive', where wife-swapping is de rigeur and going to the new David Lloyd gym to pick up a muscle-bound, toned young man for 'good times' while the old man works his nuts off in 'the Smoke' is written into your contract to live there.

All that's left of the airfield is the flak tower, control tower (they hope to turn into a restaurant for the rich knobs that live there), a little bit of peri track and a couple of blast walls on the far side. I'm sure if the council had their way, the whole place would be obliterated as they have no sense of history and really couldn't give a stuff. Money talks, history walks. As a sop to people like us there is a lovely pilot sculpture and granite? plinths with some of the history of the airfield on them. Quite nice considering.

I've now realised I have hijacked this thread for a rant.

Many apologies everyone.

Ps: Have I said before, great pics!

Edited by GoonerChris

Cor Smiffy! Warbirds at West Malling. I remember that. That was a quality show.

Again taken there by my Dad. Brilliant day out. My grandparents lived in Barming about 2 miles away so the day I didn't go, I just sat in their garden watching everything fly over. Great times.

All that's left of the airfield is the flak tower, control tower (they hope to turn into a restaurant for the rich knobs that live there), a little bit of peri track and a couple of blast walls on the far side. I'm sure if the council had their way, the whole place would be obliterated as they have no sense of history and really couldn't give a stuff. Money talks, history walks. As a sop to people like us there is a lovely pilot sculpture and granite? plinths with some of the history of the airfield on them. Quite nice considering.

Yep, I used to love those shows, they had some really memorable displays over the years.

Best not get me started on them selling the airfield off for bleedin industrial units.

Like you say, :w***: s with no sense of history.

Comments welcome, especially should I go digital SLR and chop in the Mamyia?

Thanks,

Phil

Nice pics Phil. To answer the question above; yes go digital, the convenience is staggering compared to film. But, don't chop in the Mamiya if you can afford not to, I reckon you'd kick yourself later. Different horses for different courses IMO. I always fancied medium format, but never got around to it (and sorry, but no I don't want to buy yours to finance the DSLR :D )

Steve.

Edited by Bennygman

Nice pics Phil. To answer the question above; yes go digital, the convenience is staggering compared to film. But, don't chop in the Mamiya if you can afford not to, I reckon you'd kick yourself later. Different horses for different courses IMO. I always fancied medium format, but never got around to it (and sorry, but no I don't want to buy yours to finance the DSLR :D )

Steve.

I think you're right, I'll keep it. The Mamiya's worth sod all in part-ex anyway, not like they used to be. I also like the quality of the prints, they're pin sharp and just look classy. No good for action shots but with a tripod and about a week's worth of faffing with a light meter it all comes good -usually.

I'll probably go digital SLR at some point but roughly how may pixels equate to medium format?

Thanks,

Phil

I'll probably go digital SLR at some point but roughly how may pixels equate to medium format?

Thanks,

Phil

PHREAK is your man for this one really, but I think I'm right to say many more than are currently available in a DSLR. I think the Current top dog is the Canon EOS 1Ds Mk3 (only £4-5k - body only) at around 22Mp. I also have a feeling that digital backs may be available for some Med format cameras, but if so you won't be surprised to hear they'll need a second mortgage.

Steve.