1/48 Tamiya Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb Plesman

Sid de Koning

I started my Tamiya 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb recently and here are my results so far.

I used the Eduard Color set 49-256 and plan to use the Ultracast resin exhausts, as well as decals from Aeromaster (roundels), Dutch Decal (personal logo), Hobbydecal (stencils) and Tally Ho (letters).

I will be building VL@P, flown by Dutchman Jan Plesman in 1943 with 322 Dutch squadron from Hornchurch.

This Spit is different from others, because of the reversed colors in A-pattern. Also pictures show a slightly different pattern on the nose of the aircraft.

I remade the openings for the guns, and hydraulic lines with lead wire, also I scrathbuilded a small airscoop left of the cockpit. I filled in the small openings outbourd of the landing gear as well, since I couldn't find photographic evidence for this.

The paints I used are Xtracolor for the cockpit, and Mr. Color 329, 361, 362, 363 and 368. The tires are painted with Gunze Sangyo H77 Tire Black.

I was inspired to build this one after reading Albert Plesman's book about his brother "Jan Plesman, The Flying Dutchman".

This combined by the fact I work for KLM, founded by Albert Plesman sr. I just couldn't resist.

Here are some pictures, hope you like them.

Regards,

Sid

DSC01597.JPG

DSC01600.JPG

DSC01620.JPG

DSC01621.JPG

DSC01622.JPG

DSC01623.JPG

DSC01624.JPG

Nice work on the cockpit. Looks very lived in.

BTW what's the box on the cockpit door?

A PO box... :analintruder:

It's just a handhold I made for putting that old cut-out door in place using MicroMask. The 'real' door is somewhere else, I will be using that later, in the open position that is.

Regards,

Sid

Hello,

Swweeet Spity ... (rather normal, that's a Spit)

One thing, tough ... you may want to erase the Dunlop writing on the tires, 'cause to scale they're huuuge, and I'm not very sure that during the period, it was present on the real thing.

But again, nice model ....

Cheers

Stef (#6)

Spitoholic

• 4 weeks later...

This morning I finished my Spitfire Vb. So here it is, my tribute to Jan Plesman.

The last picture is a bit yellowish, but I can't get rid of this, unfortunately.

In addition to the model, I've made a small airscoop below the windshield, and added the gun camera.

What's next? I don't know yet.

Any comments are welcome.

@Stéphane: I have decided not to change wheels, or make the Dunlop logo's less apparent. instead I didn't weather them too much, so it's not that obvious.

I've allways thought they had those huge logo's on them.

Best regards,

Sid

Spitfire_Vb_008.jpg

Spitfire_Vb_010.jpg

Spitfire_Vb_011.jpg

Spitfire_Vb_012.jpg

Spitfire_Vb_013.jpg

Spitfire_Vb_014.jpg

Spitfire_Vb_015.jpg

Spitfire_Vb_016.jpg

Spitfire_Vb_017.jpg

Spitfire_Vb_019.jpg

Spitfire_Vb_021.jpg

Was this pilot any relation to the Plesman who was the pre-war Chairman of KLM?

John

Yes, he was the son of Albert Plesman, founder of KLM. He evaded Europe mainly by bicycle throughout Portugal, and flew for Dutch 322 squadron. Sadly he died on a mission.

Regards,

Sid

Hello Sidney,

Very nice looking Spit ... fine painting, fine weathering, really nice.

For the Dunlop markings, it was just a general remark, indeed it's your model and you do exactly what you want :speak_cool:

Lovely

Cheers

Stef (#6)