Italeri 1/72 Hawk 100

Italeri 1/72 Hawk 100, Indonesia.

P4300043b.jpg

P4300053b.jpg

P4300039a.jpg

Picked up this kit with the intention of doing it OOB.

...Right!

A quick google told me that the kit decals are supposedly unusable, Aussie roundels wrong colour and the BAe ones wrong shape and size.

So I picked up the Model Alliance 'BAe Hawk in worldwide service' set, and a pack of Aeromaster seats.

Construction itself went not too badly, except for the rear deck behind the canopy and the fit of the canopy itself. Apart from that, quite a pleasant build.

Colour and markings was a different story!

Due to the kit having that boxy bit at the rear of the fuselage (chaff dispenser??), I could only use the Model Alliance decals for the Hawks from Oman or Malaysia. Neither of which got me that excited.

A quick flick through my magazines came up with SAM April 2002, in which a kind gentleman called Jonathan Mock, had supplied some nice profiles of Hawk 100's. Amongst the profiles was a scheme for a Indonesian Hawk 109 TT-101, the decals for which were on the Model Alliance sheet!

......Sorted.

The profile suggested Tan FS30219 for the brown cammo, which to me looked way too dark compared to the photos of Indonesian Hawks I found. I added a bit of light stone to lighten the tan a bit. All the painting was airbrushed with Xtracrylix, thinned using Winsor & Newton 'Artisan water mixable oil thinner'. This stuff worked brilliantly, but I must point out at this stage, that I work for W&N, so I might be slightly biased.

I used a 'Tamiya Clear' gloss coat before applying the decals, and a coat of Xtracrylix Matt to finish off with.

Job done.

(Although looking at the photos, I realise that I've forgotten to add the aerials either side of the tail fin.....bottom)

Oh, I must point out that I was a little disappointed with the Model Alliance sheet, there is an 'Important Note' on the bottom of the instructions mentioning the 'spare' decals provided.

Come on guys....The decals are great, but I shouldn't have to buy your separate book just to use what's on the sheet. :shrug:

Mart

• Like 3

Thats one sweet looking Hawk, nice to see one in different markings as well

Great build

Thanks everyone :)

I'm sure I had some work in progress photos knocking around, but I'll be buggered if I can find them!

Got these ones though.

P4210026a.jpg

P4220031a.jpg

BlueTack worms and Tamiya tape strike once again!

And this is the thinners/retarder I've started using.

P5020003.jpg

Haven't tried it on anything other than Xtracrylix yet, but it does seem to work quite well.

Mart

By the way as I use Xtracrylics too, this stuff acts as a retarder too?

Yep, didn't have to clean the nozzle as much as I usually do when airbrushing.

I'll try it a bit more before I give it the full thumbs up. :)

Mart

Looks great!

That's a really nice looking build in a not so often seen scheme. Very nice! The weathering suits it too.

Although I've just realised reading your thread that it's buggered up my planned build of one of these! I've got the Italeri kit and some MA decals for Commonwealth Hawks, and I was planning on doing the Canadian CT-155... Just looked at the decal sheet and it hasn't got the boxy bit on the tail either <_< Might have to have a look how easy it'd be to remove...

Karl.

Thanks again for the kind words everyone. :)

Might have to have a look how easy it'd be to remove...

From what I remember, it shouldn't be that hard. I'm sure I saw somewhere that very conversion, I'm racking my brains to remember where.... On the net? In a magazine? Bah...information overload.

These days I don't go for too much in the way of converting what's in the box, other than the decals and seats. (Although I did detail the cockpit with the more modern Hawk 100 fittings, and then glued the canopy shut!....I know it's there, even if you cant see it through that glass.)

It's quite nice to get 'back to basics' and just use a bit of styrene sheet and rod.

Finally found my building in progress photos. All two of them! Sure I took more than that? Anyhoo...

P3250002a.jpg

Look Ma, none of yer fancy brass doodads, cheap 'n cheerful.

Mart

Very nice Mart, thought it was 1/48th at first! I keep intending to buy that kit and never get round to it for some reason.

Paul Harrison