bf109 colour

adsalamon

Got a 1:48 bf109 from academy.

It says i need rlm 76 light blue which i cannot find. Says humbrol 175 which is discontinued. I've seen vallejo 907 which maybe similar?

Anyone know what to use and where i can get it from here?

I don't have an airbrush so any tips in doing the camo on the side?

:)

I cant help on the colours as I use Revell paints for all my models, but I use hairy sticks and nothing but hairy sticks. Ive also done 2 Bf109's one in 48th & one in 32nd and if youre refering to the "blotchy" effect of Luftwaffe camo then I did mine by dry brushing it on.

Bexy

White Ensign or Xtracolour from Hannants, though Precision paints probably do one as well.

Doing the sides rather depends upon just which particular pattern you are going for. The traditional method was to use an old paintbrush cut down to a stub. Dip this into some paint on a palette, then daub it off on a rag until very little left. Then pat it onto the side, and slowly build up the density. This is fine for the spots, or for a large area of faint overspray, as on an early G, but the stripes or denser spots of later versions are probably better done by a mix of traditional painting edged with this drybrush work. You really are better off with an airbrush for these schemes.

Another thing to think about is once you apply the mottles - if too dark you can drybrush the light blue/gray over top of the mottles. I'm a brusher and that is how I've done most of my late war Luftwaffe stuff lately (a Tamiya 190A8 and a R/M 110G2 on my bench right now). You can just continue to add The RLM 76 over the 74/75/02 mottles until it 'looks good to your eye'

I know they're not contest worthy but for 3 footers they're not bad. My biggest gripe is that I am too regular with my mottles, so do everything in your power not to space them too regularly on the fuselage, a valid hint for both brushers and air brushers

Matt