Pilots and their aircraft

timmah

Hi All

I’m looking for information regarding the pilots listed below for a future modelling project.

P.J Sanders, 92 squadron

Flew Spitfire mk1’s and had kills using:

N3285

R6624

X4051

(I have seen pictures of aircraft from this squadron using the QJ- prefix)

J L Flinders, 32 squadron

Flew Hurricane mk1's and had kills when flying

N2463

L2062

H.C Baker had kills in the following

Flew Spifire mk 1’s and had kills with:

19 squadron, L1030

41 squadron R6697, X4052

As you can see I have the pilots name, squadron and serial numbers of the aircraft they flew during the Battle of Britain but I can’t find any refernces to the squadron codes that were on their aircraft?

Can anyone help with references to what squadron codes relate to these aircraft serial numbers

Does anyone have pictures?

Was it the case that pilots were assigned to a particular aircraft or was it first pilot to any aircraft and jump in?

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Tim.

Hi Tim and welcome to BM!

Firstly, 41 Sqn were coded EB, 32 Sqn GZ, however it can be very hard trying to tie in individual code letters to particular aircraft. Having ploughed through the surviving squadron operational diaries held at the National Archives, very few (of the BoB period) list both serials and individual codes. I covered 41 Squadron from 1937 to the end of 1940, researching one particual pilot, and the aircraft are all listed by serial number.

The only way where it may be possible to ascertain individual code letters is by access to a pilots log book which may have listed the code letter - very difficult as the chances of finding a surviving pilot of tha era and squadron is getting less and less. There may be log books held at the RAFM Hendon which might give you the information - they hold about 5000 different log books in their archive. I have a PDF list on my other PC back in Worcester. I'm heading back there soon, so I'll check it out for you.

Rarely, when the pilot filled out the Form F (combat report) I have seen the aircraft code letter written on it, however this is few and far between, and very much a long shot.

Regarding the assignment of particular aircraft - once again after going through operational diaries, I have seen that in general, a pilot could fly several different aircraft, but the Flight Commanders and CO generally stuck to one, (serviceability depending) but I'm sure there are exceptions to this out there in the archives!

When Baker was with 41 Squadron he was known as one of 'The 3 B's' as he joined the squadron at the same time as Bob Beardsley and Cyril Bamberger.

HTH

Andy

Hi All

I’m looking for information regarding the pilots listed below for a future modelling project.

P.J Sanders, 92 squadron

Flew Spitfire mk1’s and had kills using:

N3285

R6624

X4051

(I have seen pictures of aircraft from this squadron using the QJ- prefix)

J L Flinders, 32 squadron

Flew Hurricane mk1's and had kills when flying

N2463

L2062

H.C Baker had kills in the following

Flew Spifire mk 1’s and had kills with:

19 squadron, L1030

41 squadron R6697, X4052

As you can see I have the pilots name, squadron and serial numbers of the aircraft they flew during the Battle of Britain but I can’t find any refernces to the squadron codes that were on their aircraft?

Can anyone help with references to what squadron codes relate to these aircraft serial numbers

Does anyone have pictures?

Was it the case that pilots were assigned to a particular aircraft or was it first pilot to any aircraft and jump in?

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Tim.

I checked my refs and bookmarks, and googled for the RAF squadron codes WW2 and got a few links:

http://www.btinternet.com/~lee_mail/rafcodes.html

http://www.spitfiresociety.demon.co.uk/squadron.htm

http://www.battle-of-britain.com/BoB2/Squa...adron_codes.htm

All of this claim that the 92 Sqdn used both GR and QJ codes, but noone says, whether this was parallel use or a switch.

32 Sqdn had GZ

19 had QV during BOB, later WZ

41 had EB

I hope it can help you.

Timmah

92 Sqn was coded GR from 1939 to May 1940 then it changed to QJ during the Battle of Britain up until Dec 1946.

19 Sqn was coded QV from Sept 1939 - Nov 1941.

Hope this helps?

Also if you go to www.rafweb.org this site can tell you everything you want to know in terms of codes, aircraft, command structure, airfields, etc. It's a real boon for the modeller. Give it a try.

PS: seems Petros got in just before me.

Edited by GoonerChris

Hi Timmah,

The Squadron Operational record Books held at Kew log the pilot and aircraft serial mumber for each mission....the Group ORBs log the pilot and the 'radio' code (aircraft identification letter. You''ll need to cross-reference the two to get the correct serial/code letter. If you contact the National Archives at Kew, they have a service to do this work for you. Log on to their website at

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?CatID=27&searchType=quicksearch&pagenumber=1&query=baker+h+c+41+squadron+raf&first_date=19000101&last_date=19491231&queryType=1&sortSpec=Score+desc&pagetitle=

Here's a link to RAF web which gives organisational information on each RAF squadron - the link is for 41 Squadron but you can work it out for the others. They usually feature important aircraft as examples of camo and codes so you mighht hit gold first time:

http://www.rafweb.org/Sqn041-45.htm

In answer to your query about pilots and aircraft, it was very rare for a pilot to have his 'own' aircraft, though he may have flown a particular aircraft more frequently than others. The exceptions to this might have been flight and/or squadron commanders who needed to be identified by their wingmen.

HAppy researching!!

Tim