FAA Wellingtons

Heraldcoupe

I'm currently working on the Italeri/MPM Wellington, my ongoing furstrations are being vented here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12190

I'm building this as NC826 in all-over white as a Fleet Air Arm aircraft. While I have a couple of pictures of this aircraft in the 4+ book, I would like to find any other images of this aircraft, or any other Wellingtons in FAA service. Being a subtly modified MkX, there area couple of details I would like to confirm before I get too far into the structural build.

Also, does anyone know what these aircraft were used for in the FAA? Are there any recommended books covering the more unusual aircraft used by the FAA?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Cheers,

Bill.

Edited by Heraldcoupe

These Wellingtons were operated by 765 Sq as a Travelling Recording Unit. This means they were to record the efficiency of radar units, but were also intended for long range reconnaissance - or at least the training of such? They were finally used as transports for returning troops home from the Middle East.

There is a photograph of HZ361 L8B, but it is not overall white, it is in standard Coastal Command colours with Extra Dark Sea Grey on the uppersurfaces only. There is only a very thin strip of the grey on top of the fuselage

PS First I've heard of Airfix 1/72 Wellingtons. I fear it is indeed the MPM kit, although hopefully the later toolings with assembled engines.

PPS the photo is in Air Britain's Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1939 to 1945. It is out of print but there is a rumour of a 2nd edition. The squadron history is in Air Britain's The Squadrons of the FAA.

Edited by Graham Boak

These Wellingtons were operated by 765 Sq as a Travelling Recording Unit. This means they were to record the efficiency of radar units, but were also intended for long range reconnaissance - or at least the training of such? They were finally used as transports for returning troops home from the Middle East.

There is a photograph of HZ361 L8B, but it is not overall white, it is in standard Coastal Command colours with Extra Dark Sea Grey on the uppersurfaces only. There is only a very thin strip of the grey on top of the fuselage

PS First I've heard of Airfix 1/72 Wellingtons. I fear it is indeed the MPM kit, although hopefully the later toolings with assembled engines.

PPS the photo is in Air Britain's Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1939 to 1945. It is out of print but there is a rumour of a 2nd edition. The squadron history is in Air Britain's The Squadrons of the FAA.

Definately a up-date edition being worked on, my father wrote the original!! Won't be available until late 2009 though, FAA helicopter book due out around xmas comes 1st!!

Dave

Definately a up-date edition being worked on, my father wrote the original!! Won't be available until late 2009 though, FAA helicopter book due out around xmas comes 1st!!

Well having found a copy on abebooks at £175, I think I'll wait on the second edition!

Cheers,

Bill.

merlin 101: I recall you saying that on an earlier thread, but not knowing the current status or timescales I thought it best to remain a little vague. Given the state of the spine on my first edition, the new one will be welcomed!

Must be first edition of Squadrons, I was using the second and the 765 Sq. photo isn't in there.

Yes, HZ361 is captioned as a Mk.XI, with HZ470 as a Mk.X. I don't know the difference from memory.

Yep, 1984 edition.

There is alos a mk 1 that was used at Donibristle early in the War, need to dig out more details