Blackburn Ripon/Baffin

Dave Fleming

Bought a Broplan Ripon kit for £5 yesterday - it's the Finnish version, but i reckon it shouldn't be toooo difficult to build an RAF/FAA one - except I can't find any drawings to show the differences.

Anyone help?

The Finnish Rippon is nearer to the FAA Baffin in overall shape. as the FAA Rippon had the Lion engine (which I'm sure you know). I will look to see what I have.

John

• 2 months later...
I can't find any drawings to show the differences.

Hi Dave

Bit late on this but hope this helps

The Finnish Ripon had a rather different cowling to the Baffin. It's hard to describe exactly but seen in profile the radial engined Ripon had a straight cowling in front of the cockpit with a sort of bullnosed fairing behind the engine, whereas the baffin had a smooth curve from windscreen down to the engine mounts. There are some extra access panels on the rear fuselage on the Baffin which the Ripon doesn't seem to have had. These are just behid the rear cockpit.

There is a small and not especially accurate 3-view in Thetford's "British Naval Aircraft", whcih shows both these features. I am trying to use this and drawings of the preserved Finnish Ripon to produce a decent set of drawings, but I haven't really got very far with this in the last year or so

Aidrian

Edited by Aidrian