Decal sheet U.S. tail code greys

Mentalguru

If you take the photo in the link I have supplied as a good basis, (it seems to have a good spread of light and dark tones to me) then the jets have a certain "scale effect" to their greys. However, having just bought an afterburner sheet, the codes etc are printed in a quite dark grey- gettign way on towards black.

Do I have a right to raise this as an issue?

http://www.acc.af.mil/shared/media/photodb...F-6699G-002.jpg

Yes you do.

Me and my mate Dai (bless him) have got a gripe about such things...why are the decals alway WHITE...when you're trying to fade things back a little...or as you've said they're just too damned dark...but I guess they go for the real colour and forget the scale effect business...the trials and tribulations of the hobby I guess...:(

If you take the photo in the link I have supplied as a good basis, (it seems to have a good spread of light and dark tones to me) then the jets have a certain "scale effect" to their greys. However, having just bought an afterburner sheet, the codes etc are printed in a quite dark grey- gettign way on towards black.

Do I have a right to raise this as an issue?

No, you don't ;)

I suspect most modellers don't use scale-colour as a technique (there was even an unofficial poll over on Hyperscale recently where the question was raised, and the vast majority said they didn't subscribe to the theory, while several others hadn't heard of it as a technique). Even if they do, there are no hard and fast rules so one modeller's interpretation of how much white to add will differ from another's. The best a decal manufacturer can do is print the colours as accurate as full-scale as possible, and leave it up to the individual modeller to tint and fade if required. The same applies to most paints you buy, AFAIK only Aeromaster ever did scale-colours, the rest are matched to full-scale colours.

I recently read a thread about getting decals made on one of the other sites (ARC I think) and they talked about the colours available as a couple of guys had noticed the colours were slightly off.

Apparently you can have what ever colour you want as long as you are willing to pay for it. There are a certain number of what the printer calls "standard colours" ie Red, Green, etc and they include some of the modern grey colours in this. Now apparently they pick a "standard" grey nearest to the code to avoid paying for a "special" colour which would send costs up.

This was the gist of it anyway.

Julien

I suspect that if a manufacturer started to 'fade' the colours on their decals, they'd get hammered by pretty much everyone. Purists would balk at the 'wrong' colours and 'scalers' would call it wrong - either too dark or too light. And those who don't give a damn would just dee the 'horribly wrong' cries and steer clear of that particular manufacturer.

As an example (sort of), look at the criticism of the Shield of David that Hasegawa has in their kits. It's generally accepted that they're too light a shade.

Julien, I think the color issue (if you can call it that) was addressed by Scott from Afterburner in his forum here.

:viking:

Julien, I think the color issue (if you can call it that) was addressed by Scott from Afterburner in his forum here.

:viking:

:sorry: tought it was ARC, do I get censored by britmodeler now :)

oh and on Britmodeler its a COLOUR question not a COLOR question :lol:

Julien