This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

spike7451

Tornado reference pictures

55 posts in this topic

I will add some of my Pics to Spikes Thread.

Aircraft ZD811

ZD811RightNose.jpg

ZD811RightTail.jpg

ZD811RightIntake1.jpg

ZD811OpenNose2.jpg

ZD811OpenNose.jpg

ZD811LeftPylon.jpg

ZD811LeftNose.jpg

ZD811LeftMain.jpg

Julien

Edited by Julien

ZA452

ZA452HeadOn.jpg

ZA452GloveBox.jpg

ZA452GearAvionicsBay.jpg

ZA452RightEngine.jpg

ZA452FrontGear2.jpg

ZA452RightGearBay.jpg

Julien

Edited by Julien

ZA612

ZA612.jpg

ZA612LargeTankRear.jpg

ZA612LeftAirbrake.jpg

ZA612RearLeft.jpg

Julien

Edited by Julien

Some Cockpit Pics

ZA452RearCockpit3.jpg

ZA452RearCockpit2.jpg

ZA452RearCockpit.jpg

ZA452CockpitIan1.jpg

Julien

Edited by Julien

Under Wing Thingys

Skyshadow

ZA452SkyShadow.jpg

Boz Pod

ZA452BozPod.jpg

Tank

HindenburgerTank.jpg

Aquisition Round

AquisitionRound.jpg

Practice Bomb Carriers

PracticeBombCarrier.jpg

ZA612PracticeBombs.jpg

Julien

Julien,

I have been following this one...thanks so much for the great GR.4 shots, especially the open radar section. I am just contemplating working on my Revell (1/32) Tornado. Any chance you can get shots of the front section of the radar open? Can't get much of this anywhere. I've been to RAF Leuchars - the F.3 radar is just not as interesting to look at.

Tom

Julien,

I have been following this one...thanks so much for the great GR.4 shots, especially the open radar section. I am just contemplating working on my Revell (1/32) Tornado. Any chance you can get shots of the front section of the radar open? Can't get much of this anywhere. I've been to RAF Leuchars - the F.3 radar is just not as interesting to look at.

Tom

You're welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Hi Spike,

I am sure no offence was intended :winkgrin:

I am sure many others as well as myself appreciate this thread as well as your many updates with advice and information.

You are a star, please continue to give advice :thumbsup:

cheers Bob

Alot of nice informative and juicey pictures. Now one thing is missing though. l need pictures of the Mauser BK-27 cannon in and out of the tornado. l am doing a F3 and want to open this bay and l need info. Thanks

Alot of nice informative and juicey pictures. Now one thing is missing though. l need pictures of the Mauser BK-27 cannon in and out of the tornado. l am doing a F3 and want to open this bay and l need info. Thanks

Tornado_IDS_2007-09-WTD61_0078_800.jpg

wm_bk_27_tornado.jpg

Nice thanks but do any of you have pics of it in the cannon bay as well?? thanks

I've requested some from the lads on the trade website.

Merv

You're welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Merv,

hope you did not take offence at me putting my Tornado pics here with yours, if you want me to remove them just say.

I just took the pics but am in no way any kind of Expert!

Julien

Edited by Julien

Merv,

hope you did not take offence at me putting my Tornado pics here with yours, if you want me to remove them just say.

I just took the pics but am in no way any kind of Expert!

Julien

Not at all,just a bad day.

Very useful pictures, Merv. I've got the Italeri GR1, need an F3. Hate to say it, but it blows the Airfix kit out of the water. Thanks for sharing.

Tony :clif:

I'll would like ask everyone, if you don't have some photo of main and front wheels bay of Tornafo F.3 or ADV.

Thanks for help...Tom

This is the cannon bay on the GR.4, just found this picture.

ZA452Cannon.jpg

Julien

Interesting picture this. To my eye, that looks like a (dummy) LITENING pod under the belly, which is surprising considering it's a Saudi IDS®! But am I right that it's a LITENING, or might it be something else? Something French maybe?

A couple (more) questions from me :D

• Op. Granby
    Was the mission markings applied after each mission, or did they come in 'bulk', say a bunch once a week?
    I've seen a pic of AB (which I assume is Alarm Belle, ZD746/AB) with ALARM on the wing pylons and tanks under the belly. The book with the picture says this was common in the beginning of the conflict. Can I assume this is correct?

• Recent(-ish)
    Are there any close-up pic's of the outboard shoulder pylon for ALARM? It looks to be different from the outboard shoulder pylon for Sidewinder on the F.3
    Are the ALARM shoulder-rails similar to the underbody rails?

• Cold War
    How does one get a hold of the twin-carriers used on the underbody-pylons, in 1/72? Even if they where uncommon, I still want them :mg:

:viking:

Hi, I hope I can help on your question of the mission markings.

I was with XV Squadron based at Muharraq from November 190 to March 1991 and I had the task of adding each mission marking to Toornado's Debbie, Emma, Nikki and Helen (all of Snoopy Airways). I added each mission marking after each sortie, except for the 3th sortie of each aircraft. This was added together with the 14th sortie marking. The early JP233 missions had a bomb with JP233 stencilled in yellow on each bomb. We shared the aircraft work with the guys from 17Sqn RAF Brüggen, and whenever a sortie was completed during their shift they would leave details for me so that I could keep each aircraft's tally up to date.

You can find close up pictures of many of the Tonkers based at Muharraq on the aeroflight website at http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/pics/gulfwar/gwtornados2.htm

John C

Hi, I hope I can help on your question of the mission markings.

I was with XV Squadron based at Muharraq from November 190 to March 1991 and I had the task of adding each mission marking to Toornado's Debbie, Emma, Nikki and Helen (all of Snoopy Airways). I added each mission marking after each sortie, except for the 3th sortie of each aircraft. This was added together with the 14th sortie marking. The early JP233 missions had a bomb with JP233 stencilled in yellow on each bomb. We shared the aircraft work with the guys from 17Sqn RAF Brüggen, and whenever a sortie was completed during their shift they would leave details for me so that I could keep each aircraft's tally up to date.

You can find close up pictures of many of the Tonkers based at Muharraq on the aeroflight website at http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/pics/gulfwar/gwtornados2.htm

John C

Thanks John! I take it those are your pictures? I can't seem to spot any bombs with JP233 stencilled on them and only the one of ZD790/Debbie after the ceasefire seem to display a JP233. Do you know which aircraft flew JP233 missions? Also, were there any missions flown with 8(!) 1000lb'ers? I know it's been a while :) I recall OD'ing on CNN at the time, which we had as a trial on our town cable.

Thanks John! I take it those are your pictures? I can't seem to spot any bombs with JP233 stencilled on them and only the one of ZD790/Debbie after the ceasefire seem to display a JP233. Do you know which aircraft flew JP233 missions? Also, were there any missions flown with 8(!) 1000lb'ers? I know it's been a while :) I recall OD'ing on CNN at the time, which we had as a trial on our town cable.

Sorry fo rthe long delay in getting back to you.

if you enlarge a Hi-res version of the nose markings the first 3 bombs have JP233 stencilled on them, I gave up as the paint we had was very wishy-washy and didn't show very well.

As for the bomb loads, after the first JP233 raids, and aircraft losses to anti-aircraft fire the missions changed to a mix of aircraft carrying JP 233 and 8 x 1000lbs bombs. The initial wave of aircraft would fly down the sides of the runway/airfield and drop the 1000 pounders on the anti-aircraft batteries whilst the next wave of aircraft would criss cross the airfield deploying the JP233's.

After we stopped the JP233 raids all of the missions were with 8 x 1000 ponders carried on twin store carriers on the forward and rear stations on the shoulder pylons.

All the Granby prictures on the Aeroflight site are mine.

Cheers

John C :pilot: