This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

spike7451

Tornado reference pictures

spike7451    174

Images redone,with thanks to contributors.

RAF_Panavia_Tornado_GR1A.jpg

3600646784_a14e1f5f3c_o.jpg

8bombs.jpg

8-3.jpg

003-Loadingcrew.png

004-Loadingcrew.png

005-Tornado-loading.png

02_bucketact.jpg

03_gunranger.jpg

040-01-03.jpg

100_0078.jpg

100_0079.jpg

100_0080.jpg

100_0081.jpg

100_0082.jpg

100_0087.jpg

100_0101.jpg

100_0103.jpg

11_stbrdgear.jpg

1280_3530306461623331.jpg

Edited by spike7451

Mike    10,672

Yeah... just spill your milkshake on the screen :P

Skii    12

Excellent work Merv, there's some fantastic images there, LOVE the view from the rear seat over the lake :D

Flipflopman    0

I can only ever remember 1500ltr tanks having 2 fins. The 2250ltr tanks have 4 fins, and are made of alloy, whereas the 1500ltr tanks are Phenolic material.

I believe that there are fittings for the upper fins on 1500ltr jugs, but I have never seen them used.

Flipflopman

hatchet    4
I can only ever remember 1500ltr tanks having 2 fins. The 2250ltr tanks have 4 fins, and are made of alloy, whereas the 1500ltr tanks are Phenolic material.

I believe that there are fittings for the upper fins on 1500ltr jugs, but I have never seen them used.

Flipflopman

Cheers for the help FFM :thumbsup2:

It might be an idea to check the pic's that are included with the decal sheet :banghead:

:viking:

Takamota    811
There's a familiar name from UKAR.

Certainly is...... small world

bexwh773    11

Is there any chance someone has or someone can point me in the right direction of cockpit shots of a German ECR Tornado please? Im about to embark on the Revell 1/32 ECR kit as a Tigermeet bird and it will out the box Im afraid, so no after market pit but Im going to try my best. If and I mean IF I dont make a real hash of it then I will share pics, but if it goes pearshaped then 1. I will cry & 2. I will hide LoL

Thanks in Advance

Bex

Edited by bexwh773

XV107    391

Minor point - the last photo in post #5 is of the then-OC 617 rather than OC IX. An official RAF publication made the misidentification of which sqn he commanded, much to his bemusement.

hatchet    4

A couple (more) questions from me :D

• Op. Granby
    Was the mission markings applied after each mission, or did they come in 'bulk', say a bunch once a week?
    I've seen a pic of AB (which I assume is Alarm Belle, ZD746/AB) with ALARM on the wing pylons and tanks under the belly. The book with the picture says this was common in the beginning of the conflict. Can I assume this is correct?

• Recent(-ish)
    Are there any close-up pic's of the outboard shoulder pylon for ALARM? It looks to be different from the outboard shoulder pylon for Sidewinder on the F.3
    Are the ALARM shoulder-rails similar to the underbody rails?

• Cold War
    How does one get a hold of the twin-carriers used on the underbody-pylons, in 1/72? Even if they where uncommon, I still want them :mg:

:viking:

Edited by hatchet

Now then Big bird hasn't lost the plot, but just recently I seem to have picked up a number of Tornados. Both diecast and plastic. Now I have this fanciful notion of making one at some point but I would like to paint it up as the aircraft of Pablo Mason from the Gulf war (1991) . I can find lots of photos of nose are but can find no reference to the pilots of each aircraft.

Now the annoying thing is I had Pablo's book but lent it to someone and never seen it since :angrysoapbox.sml: And I'm sure there was lots of pics and detail that I would need.

Can any of you Tonka fans out there help please?

Mish,

Tornado's were'nt flown by a particular crew,as in other aircraft.We would get a tasking order & then load up whatever jets were needed.We had a big problem tho caused by the heat.Crews would often start up & the jet would go T.U!

Plus we had a aircraft 'pool' with jets from other squadrons & even back at Bruggen the 4 remaining squadrons were combined,called the Leper Squadron if memory serves.

Thanks that interesting as I've also been told that ZD790 DL-D "Debbie" was the Tornado that Pablo flew.

Graham    91

Here are some pictures of the GR1 radar that I took at work.

Radar.jpg

RADAR1.jpg

Radar2.jpg

Radar3.jpg

Radar4.jpg

Graham.

Edited by Graham

spike7451    174

Chin Pod & Gun-

03_gunranger.jpg

1OOOb bomb & BL755 on S type trolley-

rafclusterbomb.jpg

LGB's (OK,They are going on a Harrier but they show what they are good detail pics)

LaserGuidedBombs.jpg

Modern helmet-

rafmk4a.jpg

tomastewart    0

Graham,

having just joined the Forum I am delighted to find your GR radar pictures. I have been searching everywhere for shots like this. Living near RAF Leuchars all I can get are the F.3 radar shots.

Is it possible you have - or can get - closer shots of all the plumbing so I can do a super-detail job on my Revell 1/32 radar.

thanks again,

Tom :thumbsup:

Here are some pictures of the GR1 radar that I took at work.

Radar.jpg

RADAR1.jpg

Radar2.jpg

Radar3.jpg

Radar4.jpg

Graham.