Take-off from Bruntingthorpe on test flight 2:

5580804141.jpg

On the ground at RAF Cottesmore prior to test flight 3:

5580804160.jpg

5580804161.jpg

Test flight 3:

5580804163.jpg

5580804164.jpg

...cut short by a dodgy microswitch on the starboard main gear door, which resulted in the door failing to close:

5580804167.jpg

Now a few BM-exclusive pics for anyone wanting to make a model of 558 in her current fit.

XH558 had her ECM gear removed for her life as a display aircraft, and that included the removal of the large cooling intake/heat exchanger on the starboard rear fuselage. No changes here but just to illustrate how the area is still smooth now:

5580804169.jpg

The aerial below the visual bomb-aiming blister has been removed and replaced with a V-shaped one:

558080416a.jpg

...and a new blade aerial has been added under the starboard intake:

558080416b.jpg

Both aerials visible here:

558080416c.jpg

...and a shot showing both from in front:

558080416d.jpg

She also has a new GPS 'jam jar lid' aerial, coloured white, on the nose in front of the cockpit. Just visible in some of the earlier shots in this posting.

Great pics Damien, I remember seeing this lovely beast at Mildenhall air show, when she took off, all the car alarms went off,and she could turn in full view of the crowd. How many planes that size could that!.

BRILLIANT PHOTOS Damien.....

Saw a clip in passing on the News when they showed its flight/take off...

Looks BEAUTIFUL ....WELL DONE to all those who were part of making this Historic Vulcan come back to life.. :goodjob:

They deserve our thanks for their hard work sloggin away under pressure etc...

Houston..... :pilot:

Edited by Houston

• 3 weeks later...

Another successful test flight today, which I think - haven't confirmed details yet - means the test programme is now complete bar setting up the compasses and a few other bits and pieces. She's currently on the ground at RAF Coningsby for this work and staying there til Friday.

I'll go out on a limb and predict airshow appearances will start from mid to late June unless the paperwork is hurried through by the CAA. And of course they still need your money! Visit www.tvoc.co.uk for more info, and how to donate!

558-brunty-080506-3.jpg

Great shot Damien - From A Heli I take it????

Fingers crossed they can get the display go ahead from the CAA as 4 of us have booked our seats from Ireland to go to Biggen Hill next month, It will be Great to see her up again, count yourselves as lucky buggars seeing these flights so far.... roll on the Summer, I'm itching to go!!!

If not I'll settle for the Vimy!!

I would expect to see lots of Airfix Vulcan kits selling during the shows this year....

Cheers

George.

Cork.