Accurate Miniatures TBF-1C Avenger

Tedfellows

You have to mock up the observers cockpit for an FAA Tarpon. American Avengers had radio equipment behind the pilots seat in the observers cockpit. But the domed windows are in the kit but FAA weapons will have to be sourced as the kits only have a selection of USN weapons (500lb bombs, 325lb DCs, Mk 13 Torpedo (in some boxings) and USN zero length rocket launchers)

But agree with The Ultracast seats, they also have new flame dampening exhausts that were released a month or two ago, great for ASW birds.

Matt

Seeems kinda late to ask, now that you've won it. But yeah, it's a good 'un.

Probably the best Avenger in any scale.

Seeems kinda late to ask, now that you've won it. But yeah, it's a good 'un.

Probably the best Avenger in any scale.

Yeah but there was only 2 mins left!!

Cheers all for info, looks like i bagged a good un at a good price!

I love Ebay

Yeah but there was only 2 mins left!!

Cheers all for info, looks like i bagged a good un at a good price!

I love Ebay

Your gamble paid off. Its a good rule of thumb that any Accurate Miniatures kit is a winner. Dont ever be afraid to bid on them. Your price of 11 GBP is about right, too. More and it's edging up on a dodgy deal.

I got their F3F-2 not long ago for $6 USD, but that was a fluke. Your price is more the norm.

ebay is a winner, if you know how to work it.

Any good?

I think you already have your answer in the thread so far...

But, IMHO its one of, if not the, best kit I have built OOB, It fits well (a little to well in some places, you have to jiggle around with the interior, but it does fit!), and really well detailed. One bonus I remember from building a couple in the past, is that the wing roots go way into the fuselage half’s, this means you can paint them separately, you don't have to mask over the upper wing shape/fuselage side, then just slot the main wings on after..

avenger3.jpg

as61-1.jpg

The only down side, as far as I'm concerned, are the instructions, these are written out, so can be a little difficult to follow, so read them a couple of times before you start to build.

Enjoy

Thanks OzH

Judging by your builds it looks like i grabbed a good un!

Beautiful they are!

As mentioned above, this is a superb kit! The only issue I had with mine was probably my fault. I had a bit of an issue fitting the aft bulkhead (the one that hold the tailwheel assembly) to the fuselage. After I put the fuselage together and while masking for painting, I managed to break it loose and haven't figured out the best repair method yet.

You'll really enjoy the kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it finally arrived today !!! It was worth it, looks like a fantastic kit!

Does anyone know if / when the italeri re-boxing is available? I get conflicting reports from my LMS.

I have one ordered at my dealer, and it shall arrive this week...

Cheers

Petr

And it arrived this morning. What a gorgeous kit it is! Granted, I'm only looking at the sprues, but the detail is fantastic. Can't wait to start on this one.

But does anybody have the necessary drawings/photos/information for converting it into a Tarpon?

I've not seen any images of the seating position behind the pilot in FAA Avengers/Tarpons. There are images of the same area in a TBF-1, but the FAA specific equipment is likely to be the subject of guesswork. I did some prep work on mine several years ago, but it keeps going back in the box.

The kit itself is close to perfection, except for the pilots seat which doesn't match any I've seen fitted to an Avenger. All of the resin replacements I have found have included the US style harness, the FAA would have Sutton harnesses,

Cheers,

Bill.