Airfix SHAR

SHAR67

Hi all

Two years ago i started to build the 1/24 Airfix SHAR,some of you might remember it being posted on the ARC forum some time ago.Well scince then i have lost all the progress pic's i had of the thing on my home PC due to a hard disk that went out for lunch.The only pic's i have of her are the ones i have managed to salvage from the ARC forum,due to lack of referance pic's the model has taken a back seat at my workshop,after taking it to the Yeovilton model show i decided to remove the cockpit from the model,this being the scratch built cockpit.I have scince then replaced the whole cockpit starting from scratch again,this is now the forth scratch built cockpit the thing has had.If any of you went to the Yeovilton show and visited the Harrier SIG stand then my SHAR in question was the FA2 at the rear of the blue section,it was the only 1/24 FA2 on this table at the back.I was not around to answer any questions about the model as this was my first time at the Yeovilton model show although the model did create some attention as i was informed by the stands chief Mr Nick Greenall.Here are some pic's of her from a while back and as she sits now.

Here you can see where she was.

CRW_0699.jpg

And here is another look at the Harrier SIG table.

CRW_0720.jpg

This is the seat with a little help from some scratch building detail.

CRW_7669.jpgCRW_7672.jpg

CRW_7673.jpgCRW_7695.jpg

This is how she looked back then.

CRW_8395.jpg

CRW_8495.jpg

CRW_8496.jpg

And this is how she looks now,there is not much in the way of overall difference but it is there.

CRW_2245.jpg

CRW_2246.jpg

This is the seat with some colour on it.

CRW_2250.jpg

CRW_2251.jpg

CRW_2252.jpg

Thats all for now but i will get going on her again soon.

Cheers Clive.

Stunning work Clive, glad to see this project is alive and well. Is there anything you're short of reference-wise?

Wow... that looks an ambitious project :o Can you explain a little about your starting point, as I suspect that kit looked nothing like that originally :hmmm:

Superb looking SHAR!

Can I just ask about the reworks you've done to this?

Have you re-done the intake and Auxillery intakes and how did you scratch the aerial on the verticle fin? Good looking seat as well!

Any chance of some pictures of the cockpit?

Hi all thanks for the interest,

Col

To answer your question im short of face on views of the cockpit dash,i spent half a day photographing two FA2's from Coventry and Farnbrough to only find out they had both only 65% of there cockpits remaining.I was then given the oppertunity to photograph another FA2 to which i was informed that this one had the live full working cockpit,but so far i have had no reply from from this offer to date,so this comes as a dissapointment.I actually need good Hi Res pic's of the front dash facia and side panels with all the instruments in place preferably switched on but this dose not matter.

Mike

As for the starting point well this was an FRS1 originally,but it went wrong so i chopped it up and threw the lot in the bin,then i purchased another kit from my local model store and sat down to start again.Well when i realised that there was hardly any referance to the FRS1,i thought what could i do with it now as i had built the rear of the fuselage from the new kit.Ding i know i'll do an FA2,and before i knew it i was off to a flying start,now i could go on and on but my fingers would just give up typing.So the long and short of it is,i joined the Harrier SIG and posted for info on the FA2 there,i also went out and brought loads of picture referance books on the FA2,i also drove around the country photographing what there is to be seen of FA2's at museums and the like,but it has not all gone smoothly as this model has had four sets of flaps and is awaiting the fith set when i get round to building them,its also been through two original kit cockpits and is now on its forth scratch built cockpit.Its had two rear wheel bays to which im thinking of leaving this out now as you cant really see it when the doors are closed.Its had three wings,two tails,two sets of elevons,four sets of cannons and numerous amounts of hours to just get it this far,and thats not forgetting the long periods of waiting for promised referance material that never turned up,oh and its also had three rudders to which i might make it a forth.It has cost me in travelling,time,money and patience and im still looking for good referance pics.The finished model is one of the ones in storage at RAF Shawbury,its the last FA2 to come off the production line and its an original FA2 not one of the converted ones from Dunsfold.

Jake

my pic's of the cockpit so far have not come out quite to my liking so i will try to get some better ones up.At the mo the cockpit is just plain white so its hard to see the detail as it sits.Its had around five sets of intakes and im still not happy with the ones that are on it now,also the pitot tube was hand made from thick piano wire also using plastic tubing,this is the nineth one of those i have made.

This model has been through the wars as for the amount of times i have nearly thrown the thing in the bin i have lost count but its been a few,it has also involved tons of swearing and numerous thumping of the fists on the work top,this also includes countless head banging manouvers also at the work top.The work top now looks like the rippled surface of a pond "only joking".

Cheers all and when i get going again with it i will post.

Cheers Clive.

Hi Anthony

thanks for the comment,the only parts that are from Heritage are the nose and the external fuel tanks to which im picking up from mr posty today.Im looking to get this one somewhere near finished this year,but it depends on work as we are heading into the busiest time of the year now what with the extra flights and all.

Cheers Clive.

Clive,

Do you have any other in progress shots? I really really want to do a 1/24 Sea Harrier FA2. (In the retirement scheme red colors)

Love the shape of the FA2 best of the entire overall Harrier family.

Would appreciate any advice and help,

AW

Hi Anthony

I have a few more shots i think,i will have a look,but as i have already mentioned i lost all the build pic's when my hard drive crashed im gutted because all my holiday photos where on that drive aswell and im never going to see an F-14 Tomcat fly again.

Cheers Clive

Hi Anthony

I have a few more shots i think,i will have a look,but as i have already mentioned i lost all the build pic's when my hard drive crashed im gutted because all my holiday photos where on that drive aswell and im never going to see an F-14 Tomcat fly again.

Cheers Clive

Did you completely lose your harddrive? (What happened exactly?)

I have a friend who is a wizz at computers.

He may be able to recover at least some of the information.

Shall I give you his e-mail?

Hi Anthony

What happened was this.The PC was working fine until when i had to reboot it because i was loading in a flightsim addon,after the PC came back on it asked/told me i had to format one of the drives being the D: drive.When i tried to access this D: drive it would not let me,this was the drive that all my family pic's where on including my once in a lifetime trip to the states to see the F-14 Tomcat to which i got ramp access plus all my model build pic's that i have done over the last three to four years.Well i formated the drive and when i went back into the PC the D: drive was non existent,but some time later it came back but has not been accessable at all scince,and every now and then it asks me to reformat the drive but i never do.People have told me that there are firms that can recover the drive but it comes with some mighty cost involved so i have just left it alone ignoring the reformat signs when they appear,if your friend thinks he can do something then feel free to send him this message.

Cheers Clive.

Good news Clive,

Here is my friend's reply:

I have this really nice software:

http://www.runtime.org/

GetDataBack for NTFS V3.03

I had a problem just like his and I ran that and it recovered

everything. Have him download the demo to see if it will do the job.

-Bobby

He says this software is safe, as in the worst thing that can happen is that it will not work. It will not make the problem worse.

Hope this solves your problem.

Cheers, and good luck,

Anthony Wan

PS. read all of the instructions carefully, and follow all steps closely.

Good news Clive,

Here is my friend's reply:

He says this software is safe, as in the worst thing that can happen is that it will not work. It will not make the problem worse.

Hope this solves your problem.

Cheers, and good luck,

Anthony Wan

PS. read all of the instructions carefully, and follow all steps closely.

Same happened to me, i used the same program but the problem is it'll scan the drive & recover around 80% fully but some files & folders may be currupt.Also the demo will only recover the files,you need to buy a liceneced copy to restore them & you'll need to recover them onto a seperate disc drive.

I may still have my licenced copy.I'll check later.

Merv

Clive, having learnt the hard way myself I would recommend you get yourself an external hard drive and back up all those files that are most important to you on a regular basis. They are pretty cheap now, I have a 250g's drive, cost less than seventy quid, in fact for that money you should be able to get 350g'g now.

SHAR build looks neat BTW.

peebeep

Clive, having learnt the hard way myself I would recommend you get yourself an external hard drive and back up all those files that are most important to you on a regular basis. They are pretty cheap now, I have a 250g's drive, cost less than seventy quid, in fact for that money you should be able to get 350g'g now.

peebeep

Or a cheaper way still, is download them on to CD or DVD, that nowadays only cost a few pence each.

Pete

SHAR build looks neat BTW.

peebeep

Heartily agree! I got a 250Gig from PC World for £59.00!

Disc's may be cheaper but not as secure in my opinion.

Clive, I would see if Spike has his licensed copy. If he does, then you might be able to use it. The demo does only just recover files, it does not restore them. Personally, I would vouch for an external drive as well. It is worth it when you have a major disk crash/malfunction.

And as Mike would say...its amazing how us modelers can send ANY thread off topic...really quickly :D But in this case, glad I was able to provide at least some help.

Many thanks for all your concern and help guys i do appreciate it.Its been a real blow to the system to loose pic's im never going to get again.

Cheers Clive.

I fully understand. Except mine was caused by downloading some weird virus. :blink:

I had a similar thing happen to me, but my friend was able to retrieve all my files...;)

You're a very naughty boy... go to your room! ;)