RoG 1/144 BAC Lightning

upnorth

Go for it!!!!

A stunning little kit, recessed panel lnes and the fit is brilliant, little or no filler is required.

Appart from the lack of cokpt detail and the minor undercart fix there is nothing to worry about wth this kt.

Oh yeah they are getting quite scarce too, here is my effort on the RAF type....

dsc010801eh6.jpg

dsc010601sm0.jpg

Regards

John.

Well, I'm happy they still had it when I went around the shop again today. I snapped it right up.

I have a couple of questions if I build her straight from the box as an RSAF bird:

I have heard that for both Saudi and Kuwaiti Lightnings, the refueling probe and overwing tanks are only appropriate for times when they were ferried between the Middle East and the UK and removed otherwise, is that essentially true?

The kit comes with both types of missile the Lightning carried. Are both types appropriate to Saudi Lightnings. If not, which is the one to go with?

In regard to NMF Lightnings, most pics I've seen of them show relatively little variation from one panel to the next except the intake ring which was highly polished. Was this the state of them in real life or was there more panel variation than pictures show?

This is one of my favorite kits and there are 2 other pit falls to be wary of. The pylon position for the is in the wrong place. If I recall its too far forward. The other is the decals - the early releases had decals printed in Germany and the roudels were very pale green and unusable, the later editions had decals printed in italy and they were the correct shade and went on a dream.

if you have spare rocket pods from the Crown or Revell Harrier GR1 you could put those on!

in terms of NMF on the lightning there were some panels on the fuselage under the wing that were highly polished.

Enjoy the kit I have 12 in my collection!

Regards

David

Well, I'm happy they still had it when I went around the shop again today. I snapped it right up.

I have a couple of questions if I build her straight from the box as an RSAF bird:

I have heard that for both Saudi and Kuwaiti Lightnings, the refueling probe and overwing tanks are only appropriate for times when they were ferried between the Middle East and the UK and removed otherwise, is that essentially true?

The kit comes with both types of missile the Lightning carried. Are both types appropriate to Saudi Lightnings. If not, which is the one to go with?

In regard to NMF Lightnings, most pics I've seen of them show relatively little variation from one panel to the next except the intake ring which was highly polished. Was this the state of them in real life or was there more panel variation than pictures show?

IIRC the missile pylons are on the sprue and are mounted by the modeller, it's the location markers on the fuselage that are in the wrong place, simply glue the pylons n the correct place and sand down the incorrect markers.

As for the overburgers and IFR probe, again IIRC they were only used to ferry the aircraft to Saudi and were removed once they were in service.

As for the missiles all I can think of are Firestreaks but will have to get an adult to confirm that one.

John.

UpNorth,

According to my big book of the Saudi Air Force;

It seems they were mostly flown without any pylons fited.

But I have a pic of 53-596 0r 695 'M' fitted with wing pylons & dropping bombs

Another firing Firestreak

And another wearing a Saudi roundel on the nose yet with XR770 under the left wing! and it's carrying a firestreak.

Tailpipe fairings seem to be a different shade, with other panels being close but not quite uniform shades.

The green of the markings is the darker shade.

It seems 2 inch rocket packs (Snebs?) could be fitted & 2 sqn also had two a/c with recce packs, whatever they were.

firestreak pylons were only fitted (it seems) when they were needed. Same for the refuelling probes

No 13 was the other Lightning sqn according to this book.

I built a pair 'in flight' for an ex Lightning colleague, he was chuffed with them. I used bits of lead shot painted up as

heads for the pilots, thats about all you can see!

All the best

Pete