Esci 1/24 Landrover Series III 109

Here's the usual box shot ...

th_berlin2.jpg

... and this what I hope it will look like when it's done ...

th_berlincamo_Landrover.jpg

... state of play at the moment ...

th_partpainted2.jpg

The body has received a base coat of Halfords grey plastic primer, I was going to use white primer and save on the masking for the white portion of the camo, but being bone idle, I already had the grey so on it went. The interior and rear bed have received a top coat of Vallejo 043 Olive Drab, it looks about right, but after the camo has been applied i'll weather it anyway.

The seating and radio components have simply been placed loosely for effect, the seats will remain black but will be distressed during the final weathering. I have to scratch build the short aerial on the n/s of the bed and i'm also tempted to have a go at detailing the radio gear ... we'll see how much patience I have left once i've masked and painted the camo.

So, the masking drawing has been done and printed, now it's find the tape, measure out the white portions of the camo and fire up the airbrush, not made up my mind yet if i'm using acrylics or enamels, but there's no rush at the moment, I'll make that decision when the masking tape is on.

Quick progress! :thumbsup:

It's a nice kit Mike, although the chassis is a pain in the bum, lots of sink marks which involves a fair amount of filling, well, you don't have to but the voices tell me that if it's there it should be done ... :wicked:

I was going to tackle the masking this afternoon, but following a late night, I got home home at 5am this morning and slept until dinner, so the day is almost gone for me seeing as I'm back in the driving seat at 5pm, but it's only for this week (hopefully).

Once I've decided on the paint medium (acrylic or enamel), I'll have a look through the paint charts for the camo scheme colours and get them sorted. I'd like to have this done for the MAFVA show at Duxford in June, but we'll see.

Nick.

Ha she's looking good Nick

Hopefully I'll get my one started soon :analintruder:

Move yourself lad! ... :sleeping:

Nick.

Does rebuilding a 1/1 scale Series2/3 count as pat of the group build?

Definitely ... :guitar: ... got any camo paint left?

Nick.

Quick update on the Landrover progress. I've decided to use The Vallejo Model Air range of acrylics, and the best matches for the colours required as far as I can see, are ...

RAL 7031 Blue / Grey ~ Vallejo #046 Pale Blue Grey

RAL 8025 Brown ~ Vallejo #035 Camouflage Light Brown

RAL 9010 White ~ Vallejo #001 White

So tomorrow (Saturday), it's down to the LMS with my shopping list, and I'm heading straight for the paint rack, score the deal and out again, no lingering over the kit shelves ... well, not for long anyway.

Nick.

Grrrrrrrr! ... masking for this scheme is a nightmare, so, I'm changing tack slightly. I intend to place the Landrover, presently painted in Olive Drab, into a workshop diorama where a couple of squaddies can have the joy of painting the bloody thing. I'll start off the camo scheme and then depict these blokes masking and painting the vehicle. I may just add a second vehicle and a bit of comedy into the scene, but it allows my imagination to run a little ...

:evil_laugh:

So, I need a couple of 1/24th figures to convert, any ideas of what's available?

So, here's the progress so far, in Olive Drab ...

th_olivedrab_1.jpg th_olivedrab_2.jpg th_olivedrab_3.jpg th_olivedrab_4.jpg

Nick.

Not bought the paint yet. Although she is ex army we are not doing her in military colours as we will always get the anal saying such and such is wrong. Current projected scheme is two tone purple splinter sides over a silver lower portion with the top staying white.

Should raise an eyebrow or two.

Pimp my ride baby ... yea ... :bouncy:

Nick.

re: 1/24 Figures. If my maths are right, thats about 80mm. Its not as common as 54mm or 120mm, but you can get figures in that scale that could form the basis of a conversion. Best place to look would be the Historex website.

re: 1/24 Figures. If my maths are right, thats about 80mm. Its not as common as 54mm or 120mm, but you can get figures in that scale that could form the basis of a conversion. Best place to look would be the Historex website.

Cheers Nev, I believe Fujimi do a couple of sets ... I'm on it! ... :thumbsup:

Nick.

OK, back on topic.

The build is progressing, I'm having a go at Landrover 2 which is another MKIII 109 and will be the section gopher, nothing special though and painted in Vallejo 043 Olive Drab, but it will have the canopy fitted. I've just got the sludge from Phil Flory so I may have a go at detailing and weathering, maybe even a knock in the bodywork, we'll see. The painting of the camo on Landrover 1 is stalled at the moment as I'm waiting on the paint from Panther Models, I ordered this stuff last weekend so it's a little slow.

Cheers Phil.

I've had these kits for some years and it's about time they were built, but I wanted to do something different with them, this build gives me the chance. Now all I have to do is find a suitable sized base for two 1/24 Landrover's and a couple of figures and decide on what sort of ground they should be sitting on. My preference would be either concrete or a paved area.

Nick.

I have a soft spot for Lannies, as I had a Series 1, 86 inch rag top with serise 2 and 3 running gear and a ex MOD V8 engine in it ten years ago. Then the kids came along a try as I did the baby seats didn't go in, so I had to sell her for somthing less drafty and better mpg. Oh happy days

Have to admit to a soft spot myself. Just got rid of a 2.5 diesel Disco XS and before that I had a Range Rover 3.5 V8 ... what a tool! ... Now I've got a Volvo V40 Estate, and to be honest, it's the best car I've ever owned for fuel economy. But my true love was the Range Rover. Incidentally, I've got a couple of original Esci 1/24 range Rover kits in the stash ... but they're sitting ready for another build! ... ideas anyone?

Nick.

Excellent work on such an interesting subject!

Bit concerned though because it has had been considering doing the same to the 1/76 JB kit!! :shocked:

Cheers Mandrake, why not have a go? ... don't fancy masking for that scheme in 1/76 though, it's bad enough in 1/24.

Nick.

Think you've answered your own question there Nick ;)

I've actually chickened out of painting the whole scheme, I'm going to place the landrover in a diorama where it's being prepared for the scheme ... :rolleyes:

Nick.

I've actually chickened out of painting the whole scheme, I'm going to place the landrover in a diorama where it's being prepared for the scheme ... :rolleyes:

Nick.

1/24 Paint cans?

Bit tricky to get hold of some suitable 1/24 figures I'm guessing.

1/24 Paint cans?

Bit tricky to get hold of some suitable 1/24 figures I'm guessing.

Got hold of a Fujimi Mechanics set off Ebay, should be able to modify them and scratch a couple of paint cans.

Nick.

OK, hope to get into the workshop today, and as I'm still waiting for the paint to arrive for the FFR, I'll do a bit more on the section gopher. This will have the canvas tilt fitted, can anyone advise on the proper colour / shade for the canvas?

Nick.

OK, hope to get into the workshop today, and as I'm still waiting for the paint to arrive for the FFR, I'll do a bit more on the section gopher. This will have the canvas tilt fitted, can anyone advise on the proper colour / shade for the canvas?

Nick.

Hi Nick,

Normally if it has been in service for a little time it fades exceptionally quickly from an olive green to a sort of chalky grey around stress points such as folds, stitching and where the framework is. The rest of it will be a faded green. However if the wagon has been painted, squaddies never have a delicate touch on the canvas! So the Black IRR will be quite thick.

Your call matey, there are that many variables you technically can'g go wrong on the canvas colour!

B)-->

QUOTE(Greg B @ May 27 2007, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Nick,

Normally if it has been in service for a little time it fades exceptionally quickly from an olive green to a sort of chalky grey around stress points such as folds, stitching and where the framework is. The rest of it will be a faded green. However if the wagon has been painted, squaddies never have a delicate touch on the canvas! So the Black IRR will be quite thick.

Your call matey, there are that many variables you technically can't go wrong on the canvas colour!

Cheers Greg ... PM inbound!