Esci 1/24 Landrover Series III 109

Decided to concentrate on Landrover 2 today which will have the Green / Black camo scheme. I decided to paint the main body in Vallejp 043 Olive Drab and allow it to dry. I also decided to have a go at painting and weathering the canvas. For the base coat, I used Vallejo 023 Hemp, once this was dry I mixed equal portions of Vallejo 023 Hemp and 010 Interior Green and gave the canvas a couple of flash coats. Once dry I added a few drops of 029 Dark Earth to the previous mix and coated the canvas until it looked right.

Phil Flory offers a selection of sludge washes which I managed to get hold of with the intention of using them on this build. I usually use Mig powders as a weathering medium and have become reasonably proficient, so using the sludge meant that I was starting from scratch, a fresh experience. I used the dark brown sludge as I wanted to darken the canvas in the first instance, and I'll lighten the ribs and seams near the end of the build. I'm pleased to say that the sludge did the job and I'll do a proper photo session later, but here's a quick look ...

th_canvas.jpg

... not bad for a first try with the sludge, and I'm told the canvas will go darker when I seal the effect, I'll get better Phil I promise.

Nick.

Decided to concentrate on Landrover 2 today which will have the Green / Black camo scheme. I decided to paint the main body in Vallejp 043 Olive Drab and allow it to dry. I also decided to have a go at painting and weathering the canvas. For the base coat, I used Vallejo 023 Hemp, once this was dry I mixed equal portions of Vallejo 023 Hemp and 010 Interior Green and gave the canvas a couple of flash coats. Once dry I added a few drops of 029 Dark Earth to the previous mix and coated the canvas until it looked right.

Phil Flory offers a selection of sludge washes which I managed to get hold of with the intention of using them on this build. I usually use Mig powders as a weathering medium and have become reasonably proficient, so using the sludge meant that I was starting from scratch, a fresh experience. I used the dark brown sludge as I wanted to darken the canvas in the first instance, and I'll lighten the ribs and seams near the end of the build. I'm pleased to say that the sludge did the job and I'll do a proper photo session later, but here's a quick look ...

th_canvas.jpg

... not bad for a first try with the sludge, and I'm told the canvas will go darker when I seal the effect, I'll get better Phil I promise.

Nick.

Bloody hell Nick that's brilliant!. I clicked on the pic before reading your post and said that rag top is good to the Mrs. You mean that was the wash, that's great.

Lanny looks fantastic.

Edited by Phil_flory

Looking very good indeed, especially the Tarp.

Just as an aside and speaking from very personal experience. The bumpers at the back are nearly always dented. If you are trying to reverse at night in forests with no lights and its bucketing down. Well you can imagine the rest because there is no way on this earth your oppo is going to get out to guide you! :raincloud:

Its no biggie, 5 minutes work with a lump hammer and a tin of black IRR and its all coshe again. :thumbsup:

Mind you I managed to back into a Warrior in Bosnia, bright sunlit day and a big white painted warrior. Good job you cant dent chobham! However it cost me a few crates of beer because I was spotted. Bugger!!!

The tow hook can also be any colour from black to green to red lead primer and every layer in between. Might add a bit of interest.

REgards

Greg

Edited by Greg B

At my Squadron (34 Field) all our vehicles failed a PRE because of painted NATO's. The one I now have sat on my living room side board took me ages to strip back to bare metal and i am going this week to get some bolts to fit it to my 1/1 109 Station Wagon.

Do you want me to take some phots of an ex military landrover for you (Series II 88 GS ragtop)

When were you at the Beach Rory?

Ayup Phil,

The tarp is better in the daylight, unfortunately, the picture I placed on the site doesn't do it justice. I used the grey wash first but opted eventually for the dark brown. I think practice and a gentle touch are called for when removing the excess after it's dried, but I won't give up. The bodywork on Landrover 2 will get the 'Flory' treatment and I'll take a few studio shots when they're both finished.

Greg,

The idea for the bumper is good, leave it with me.

Rory,

Yes please mate, I always attempt to get some sort of reference, what better than have photos of the real thing.

Oh, thought you all may like to see one I did earler, several years earlier ...

th_landrover4.jpg th_landrover2.jpg th_landrover3.jpg th_landrover1.jpg

... it's the same kit and won a couple of trophies in competition. It still survives and now lives with a very nice bloke who loves collecting Landrover models.

Nick.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greg B @ May 28 2007, 09:27 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When were you at the Beach Rory?

89 to 91 when I got kicked out. Did a stint in the gulf with 3 Sqn Tidworth ,10/12/90 to 20/04/91( I was on leave when "volunteers" were called for!)

Joined the Hitler Youth in March 89 and tipped up to 60 Fd Sp Circus in April 90... Probably spilt beer on each other in the Taps :drink:

Just to prove what a small world this really is, I met up this evening with Greg B at our monthly club meeting here in Derbyshire. I noticed Greg lived in neighbouring Nottingham and invited him to come along following the contact here on the forum, and I took along the Landrovers I'm doing for the group build. Thanks for the information on the camo and the Landrover headlamps Greg, and good luck with the move to Chatham, and hope to see you at Beltring in July.

Nick.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greg B @ May 29 2007, 04:04 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nige Kerwin? And I know Terry Burke. Havent seen them since 92 though.

I served with them in Saudi along with another 60Sqn bod also called Nige. Terry used to let me cab his Crusader about although I never managed EVER to park it straight between the others. My TM66 was a 60 Sqn beasty , it got back before I did but , sadly , without my gizzits as I binned all them because I was told that the vehicle wasn't coming home. sweetheart MOD.

We must have met then as I was out there as well. Probably on Stag being the troop sprog!!! :blush:

Just to prove what a small world this really is, I met up this evening with Greg B at our monthly club meeting here in Derbyshire. I noticed Greg lived in neighbouring Nottingham and invited him to come along following the contact here on the forum, and I took along the Landrovers I'm doing for the group build. Thanks for the information on the camo and the Landrover headlamps Greg, and good luck with the move to Chatham, and hope to see you at Beltring in July.

Nick.

Twas quite an enjoyable evening as well Nick, typical that I find a club the week before I move! Don't forget to bring lots of money to Beltring so the Lovely Mr Clarke can lull you into a false sense of security with his woolly jumpers, free cups of coffee and chockie biccies. He's an evil man I tell ya!!!!!!

:tease:

B)-->

QUOTE(Greg B @ Jun 2 2007, 12:15 AM)
Twas quite an enjoyable evening as well Nick, typical that I find a club the week before I move! Don't forget to bring lots of money to Beltring so the Lovely Mr Clarke can lull you into a false sense of security with his woolly jumpers, free cups of coffee and chockie biccies. He's an evil man I tell ya!!!!!!

:tease:

Oh yeah, he's evil alright, and I don't even get to see his wooly jumpers or consume his coffee & biccies :weep:

... Oh yeah, he's evil alright, and I don't even get to see his wooly jumpers or consume his coffee & biccies :weep:

Right then, where is Bill's shop? ... sounds like a place to visit while we're at Beltring.

Edited by plastic constructor

Right then, where is Bills's shop? ... sounds like a place to visit while we're at Beltring.

Sunny Sittingbourne. Just follow the A2 into it from the North and you will come down a hill to a sharp left turn junction which has got a pedestrian crossing. Just before that on the right hand side is Bills Shop. 55 West street. But I'm warning you, he is like Arkwright!!!!!!! ;)

B)-->

QUOTE(Greg B @ Jun 2 2007, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sunny Sittingbourne. Just follow the A2 into it from the North and you will come down a hill to a sharp left turn junction which has got a pedestrian crossing. Just before that on the right hand side is Bills Shop. 55 West street. But I'm warning you, he is like Arkwright!!!!!!! ;)

Cheers Greg, I'll look in while I'm down at Beltring ... sounds like an emporium I should enjoy, I'll take Ian Sadler (IPMS (UK) Armour SIG Leader) with me to distract him. ... :analintruder:

Nick.

Anyway, back on topic. I visited the Newcastle show yesterday for the first time in years and managed to speak with the supplier I ordered the paints from for this build, three weeks ago. Apologies accepted and the stuff should be with me today (Monday), there'll be tears if it isn't. I also bought a bargain, more on that in a later post and possibly a marathon stage by stage group build suggestion later in the year.

I now have information about the way in which headlamps are installed on the 109 in military service (cheers GregB and Fatty), the outer headlamp cover, supplied with the kit is not used. Following the conversation with GregB and Fatty at the recent club night, I intend to add a little damage in certain areas on the Landrover which apparently, is quite common, upper front wing, bonnet, tailgate, front and rear fenders.

As for the missing kit parts, I have a plan in place. DaveT sorted out a built model he no longer requires and hopefully, it should be on its way to me shortly, where it will be ruthlessly scavenged for missing bits and spare parts ... I feel this diorama growing!

Nick.

The Landrover for spares arrived this morning, cheers Dave. I now have enough bits and pieces to complete both the Landrovers for the diorama. But I now have a slight dilemma, do I use the third Landrover somehow in the diorama? ... decisions ... decisions! ... :undecided:

Nick.

Finally got back into the workshop this morning to do a bit on Landrover 2, which if you remember will be the section runabout, and painted in Green / Black camo. Just shot the first layers of Black onto the body and tilt, it's coming on a treat. When the paint is totally dry, I'll attempt to make it look as though a squaddie has had a stiff paintbrush on the truck ... seems a shame to spoil a neat airbrush job though?

Then I have to think about a bit of damage to the bodywork and bumpers, plus the associated repair and paintwork, all clever stuff this!

Ah well, time for a quick coffee and then hang the washing out and then ... well, we'll see. I'll post a couple of photos of the progress as soon as I can, I would like this done for Duxford at the weeekend though.

Nick.

Just a quick question before I start work on the base for this diorama. It's set in Germany during the 80's, possibly a REME workshop. So, I have the option of either a concrete base, no problem there, that's easy enough to do, but how about a brick or cobble base?

I need to know what size German bricks are in order to replicate a reasonable base. Here's a photo of another project I have on the go at the moment, it's a 1/16 traction engine. The bricks shown are 120mm scale bricks from 'Great North Roads', and I've still got enough to construct a base for this diorama, they were ideal for the traction engine diorama as I was replicating an early 1900's yard with 9" x 4" x 4" imperial bricks ...

garratt2.jpg

... so folks, what do you think, can they be used for a German yard?

Nick.

Where does the time go? ... time for a rest and something to eat before work tonight, but in the meantime, here's the promised photos of the progress of construction so far on Landrover 2 ...

th_berlingb019.jpg th_berlingb020.jpg th_berlingb021.jpg th_berlingb022.jpg th_berlingb023.jpg

... after the tilt was painted, it was left to dry overnight. This morning, it received a scuffing with 1200 grit wet and dry used wet, and then forced dried. I then sprayed a thin coat of Vallejo 023 Hemp over the lighter portion of the canvas tilt, to accentuate the bleached look. It was then force dried and given a gentle scuffing once again with 1200 wet and dry (wet). I'll leave the final weathering until the model is totally finished when I'll pick out the cord and creases. The tilt has aloso received a slight wash of sludge (light grey).

The main body has been scuffed slightly and a little damage added, actually, slight confession, I stuffed up with the air vent, it should have been on the other side of the vehicle, ah well, now I know where to place the damage.

The tilt, body and chassis are still separate items, simply put together to show the effect I wanted. The chassis now requires painting and once that's dry, I'll couple it to the body permanently, then continue with final construction, paint and weathering.

Those of you with sharp eyes may have noticed that the front bumper and rear crossmember are civilian items, well, on a quick trip to a military vehicle dismantlers last week, I discovered that you can find several anomalies ... I'm just waiting for some bright spark to come up to me at a show and say "they were never like that" ... only now I can shove a photo under their nose and say ... "oh yes they were".

Nick.

Thanks fella's, I'm really enjoying this build, but that's as far as we go this week. Work sprung a special run on me last night, that's a 12 hour shift, didn't get home until 0515 this morning from 1700 last night (Mrs Gromit was not pleased). I hope to have both vehicles as a WIP on display at Duxford this weekend, if anyone is attending, please come and say hello, I'll be behind the IPMS (UK) Armour stand ... sorry you can't make it Sean (Beltring perhaps?). Hopefully, I'm back on track next week for a finish with Landrover 2, but then I've got to finish a commission for Beltring so the gb may be on hold for a couple of weeks.

Incidentally, can anyone offer info on the use of convoy flags, their colours, size, placement position on the vehicle and when they would be used? ... For example, lead and tail vehicles in a convoy, are the colours of both flags the same? ... Someone mentioned the use of these flags whilst in the Berlin corridor!

It's the little details that matter folks, enquiring minds need to know ... :hmmm:

Nick.

• 4 months later...