Red Flag Bucc's

Paul Davies

Hi All,

I am slowly building up supplies and references to build in 1:48th an example of all the aircraft worked on by my Father in his 22 years in the RAF as a rigger.

This is going to be fairly straightforward as each aircraft(Lightning F1a, Phantom, Buccaneer and Tornado) exists in some form or another, and all need more or less work.

I'd already made a fair attempt at the Bucc with which he was very pleased, however it got damaged in a house move and I now have it back for restoration and seeing it has made me realise how poor it is (my build effort that is), my intention is to start again and I have purchased another airfix s2b.

I constructed it as a red flag aircraft as this was his best detachment both in '77 and '78 and was painted on his instructions, however he does not recall at all the rear area being left grey\green instead of brown\stone as the rest of the aircraft, his memories are of the brown\stone all over and the red star on the side of the fuselage. I have only one photo which shows him and the front of one of the aircraft but sadly nothing of the rear.

Does anyone have any photographs of the real thing with the grey\green rear? the Drawings I've shown him leave him blank so I'm hoping a photo of the real thing may nudge his memory.

It's not really that important as I will paint it all over brown\stone unless he actually says "yes I remember they were left grey\green" as it has to be done on his memories, but at the same time I would like it to be accurate.

Thanks

Paul

Paul, I have the Ian Allen RAF Buccaneer book by Peter Foster (1987 ISBN 0711017298) in front of me and on page 17 there's a black and white photo of XV160, Red Flag 1977 and the rear end appears to be much darker than the rest of the Light Stone/Dark Earth camouflage.

According to the book four Buccs were painted in that camo, XV160, XV352, XX900 and XX901 (XV160 has the 208 Sqn winged eye on the fin).

I'll try and have a dig through my Bucc refs to see if I can find more (they're all to hand right now) but you might try having a look at these sites for more info:

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/buccaneer/index.html

http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/

Edit - Interestingly, XV160 seems not to have the wrap-around camo and the underside look to be Light Aircraft Grey. I know I have some Red Flag stuff, I'll try and dig it out.

Edited by Jonathan Mock

Thanks for the effort everyone it's very much appreciated. I'll see how well I can blow up that last photo and see if that does the job (although his eyesight isn't getting any better!) , but if anyone has any further info\photo's from red flag (77 or 78) I would also appreciate it as I'm finding it an interesting subject.

Cheers

Paul