1/24 airfix Harrier

seanrgb

• 3 weeks later...

OK I have another question

kit pit vs Heritage am pit

which one is more accurate

I have been looking at these But I feel the Kit version has better detail

And I can drill out the gauges and add the decals round the back for a more real looking IP panel

any thoughts

I purchased the 1/24 Heritage cockpit set for the my Airfix SHAR FRS-1.

The resin seat in mine was a complete write off, not that it was malformed, just not very good.

I did use most of the other parts, but only because I'd paid money for them and I wasn't about to chuck it out (which was my first thought.....)

And that's a shame, I've got the Heritage resin TSR-2, and that looks really nice, although I've no built it yet.

Karl

Yeah i'm having doubts about the set

but i will use the seat and side panels and the back panel

the rest i'll sell

Heritage don't do themselves any favours with the quality of the pics online, but the only times I've ever seen quality pics of their stuff, the translucent quality of their resin makes everything appear softly detailed, and lacking in "something". I was also a bit perturbed by the amount of flash round some of the parts. Theoretically, the more flash, the poorer the mould registration, so I would guess (and this is just supposition) that the parts would be out of register.

I'm happy to be proved wrong however, as I've not seen any of their stuff in the flesh, and am just going by quite a few other people's comments & pics on their own website. Your comments seem to back up my thoughts :fraidnot:

Just as a Comparison, here in the Airfix seat I modified next to the unused Heritage seat:

08.jpg

The flash on the heritage seat is quite bad, the belts are indistinguishable from the flash, and some of the detail is just wrong. I'm not saying that mine is completely correct, but still...

Karl

Well to be honest I'd like to do mine in a Artic camo

I'm not sure which squadron uses that has the artic camo

Number 1 Squadron would probably be the best bet. The arctic scheme was generally only worn during deployments to Norway and 3 and 4 Squadrons' GR3s were committed to Central Europe.

HTH

Richard

In that case, you will need No.1 Sqdn markings from the original GR.1 issue kit. I should have some somewhere if it helps.

The white paint is only a water based temporary paint, and is applied (to this day) when No.1 Sqdn is on detachment to Norway as they are tasked as part of a quick reaction force to NATO's northern area.

[Edit: Richard beat me to it !] :clap2:

Dose any one do a FA.2 conversion for the 1/24 scale out of interest?

Heritage Aviation does.

It consists of some white metal vents and wing fences (?), a vacformed canopy (If anyone knows, why?), and also a resin nose, resin fuselage plug as well as decals for a 800NAS bird.

As for cockpit, no sets are out, so you'd better get out your plasticard.

Here's their online shop:

Heritage Aviation

As for their range...I'm a little touchy about getting some of it. I wouldn't mind hearing if anyone has had any experience with their 'Intake with dropped doors' set.

Having said that, their undercarriage set looks pretty nice...especially since it's white metal which hopefully should be a damn sight stronger than the plastic kit version.

I have attempted to use the Heritage F/A-2 conversion in the past.

None of the parts fitted the Airfix kit at all. I know that when you carry out conversions on kits that the AM stuff may not fit exactly, but the Heritage stuff was no where near, especially the rear fuselage plug. If you look at their seats for instance, the seat has a slight taper from the pan to the headbox. That is totally wrong. The seat pan from the front is square. You are better off detailing the kits seat.

The only HA stuff I would ever consider using are the 1/24 Harrier wheels. :angrysoapbox.sml:

Cheers

Andy

the Heritage stuff was no where near, especially the rear fuselage plug.

Interesting. Have you got any pictures of your finished build?

In what way was it a terrible fit? I don't mind it being a bad fit as I can easily sand and fill any seams, I just need to know if it's accurate and if there are any adjustments I need to make to that area (main gear well and airbrake)

Well I had a good look at my set

and I have to say this will be a pig to fit , but I think I'll give it a go

The set hasn't got too much flash on it

But the mold of the cockpit is a bit on the bad side

I'll have some pictures soon

Well I've been chopping and sawing and sanding

And the Pit fits like a glove ,

the only thing is I just need to sand the r/h side panel

so give me a few

then what i'll do is take a picture with the kit pit

then do one with the Heritage pit

looks promising :analintruder: