OCU Phantom decal/markings question

Pete in Lincs

My first post on here so a quick biog (just in case anyone is interested)

18 years RAF Rigger, now 13 years BAE Riyadh, Home, Lincoln

I spend all of my modelling time building Nostalgia kits for ex forces colleagues, which is good as they pay for them!

Soon I have to build the Revell 1/48th FGR2 Phantom as an OCU low Viz a/c.

I have the Almark decal sheet, but the OCU 'Diamond/Lattice' badge is for

a grey/green a/c. I need the badge in low viz pink/pale blue. And a black

Scarab for the tail.

I've thought of cutting up all my low viz roundels or fin flashes, or trying to paint

the bars (next to impossible to get the right shade)

Can anyone think of a way to do this? Is there a decal sheet?

Why did Hasegawa use pale green on one of the decal sheets for the RAF 'toom' instead of pale blue?

Thanks in advance

Pete

Soon I have to build the Revell 1/48th FGR2 Phantom as an OCU low Viz a/c.

I have the Almark decal sheet, but the OCU 'Diamond/Lattice' badge is for

a grey/green a/c. I need the badge in low viz pink/pale blue. And a black

Scarab for the tail.

Pete, you refer to the Barley Grey finish.

The decals you need are available and were included on the sheet from the very first Hasegawa FGR2 release (the one with the Green/Grey Phantom on the artwork). Also Maintrack Models relaeased a clear-fix sheet many moons ago that covered every British Phantom unit in every scheme - still see them on Ebay. The Scarab is Navy and not Black, and set into a pale Blue disc.

Why did Hasegawa use pale green on one of the decal sheets for the RAF 'toom' instead of pale blue?

Good question and even the sheet that I am steering you towards is not perfect for colour match, but if anything it's the Pink that's far too strong here.

Funny how you think of something and someone posts your very thoughts :hypnotised: Thanks Pete.

I would also be interested in the scheme that Pete mentions as this A/C has a personal interest to me. I managed to get a ride in one of their birds (not sure which one, did have the Reg No:XT*** in my little blue book but seem to have misplaced it now) when i was in the ATC in the late 80's, AWESOME!!! :pilot:

So if anyone has another sheet or is willing to make me the markings i would be very interested. :pray:

Cheers in advance,

Rich

Many thanks for the prompt response guys, much appreciated.

email & thanks on the way to Edgar in High Wycombe (In 1981 I used to drive through there to & from Odiham & Halton every weekend for my fitters course)

Yes, the Hasegawa sheet is the one I have. The Blue bits are almost eu-de-nil & yes, the pink is almost Barbie like.

This will be the third FGR2 I've built for Mick. I have a 4 sqn Harrier on the go at the moment for an ex RAFG simstech, A 2 seat Lightning in the near future & a huge list of RAAF aircraft to build for an Aussie mate. Not to

mention GR1 & F3 Tornado & 1 & 2 seat Typhoons for myself, If I ever get around to them!

All the best

Pete