• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Deanflyer

Deanflyer

I've never taken off in a glider-but I've landed a few

• Members
  • 966 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:05 PM

Seemed to go down well on the aviation forum with my Hunter, thought I'd try something different for my second posting. This is the Tamiya kit, which is very nice apart from the fit of the side windows to the roofline. Had all sorts of trouble with that. The colour scheme is as requested by my cousin, who this was built for as an emigration present. It now resides in Queensland, Australia, so if you don't like red seats, don't worry - they're a long way away now! Body colour was Alclad Aluminium, believe it or not, which is a good match for the prototype kept just down the road from me.

If you don't like it, I'll show you something else!

Cheers,
Dean

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 muddyboots

muddyboots

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:18 PM

Dean,

You got a really nice finish on that, nice job, mate, thanks for sharing it with us.

Ian

#3 Skii

Skii

muhahahahahahahaha

• Gold Member
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:34 AM

Oh yes, very very nice finish there. always like the look of the XJ220, and it would give most current supercars a good thrashing too!

Astonishinlgy clean build, almost looks real in some angles :)

#4 Smiffy

Smiffy

Scruffy looking Nerf herder

• Product Reviewer
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:39 AM

That looks terrific. :thumbsup2:
That Alclad turned out really good. I think some siver finishes don't like right because the metallic flakes tend to look too big, but this looks very realistic.
Did you clear coat the Alclad and if so, what did you use? (if you don't mind me asking ;) )

Fantastic stuff. :worthy:

Oh yes, very very nice finish there. always like the look of the XJ220, and it would give most current supercars a good thrashing too!

Quite right. From what I understand, it goes like :shit: off a shovel.
Unfortunately, the brakes are not so good, when you have to stop though, apparently. In a car this powerful, it'd be interesting to say the least. :yikes:
:D

#5 Deanflyer

Deanflyer

I've never taken off in a glider-but I've landed a few

• Members
  • 966 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:49 AM

Did you clear coat the Alclad and if so, what did you use? (if you don't mind me asking ;) )

Thanks for the comment Smiffy, I was beginning to think cars weren't welcome here... ;-)

In answer to your question, no I didn't clearcoat the Alclad as there weren't really any decals to speak of and the metallic looked shiny enough on its own. I have clearcoated Alclad in the past with Johnson's Klear, and it goes on so transparently that it doesn't bother the Alclad one bit. Many people advise against it, but have a look at my F-86 in the Military Aircraft forum - that was Kleared too.

I used Alclad for precisely the reason you mentioned - silver paints are out of scale with regard to the silver flakes in them. I did a Meteor T7 which was painted in High Speed Silver on the real thing - Alclad replicates that perfectly, I think.

Hope that helps,
Dean

Edited by Deanflyer, 12 April 2008 - 11:49 AM.

#6 Smiffy

Smiffy

Scruffy looking Nerf herder

• Product Reviewer
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:57 AM

Thanks matey. I'm thinking I may try this out on a big Ferrari I've got in the stash. B)

I used Alclad for precisely the reason you mentioned - silver paints are out of scale with regard to the silver flakes in them. I did a Meteor T7 which was painted in High Speed Silver on the real thing - Alclad replicates that perfectly, I think.

See, now you've mentioned the Meteor, you're gonna have to post some pics of that too. :winkgrin:

#7 T-Tango

T-Tango

See you over the Western Front.

• Members
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 02:44 PM

Lovely build mate of a fine classic beastie, IIRC Elton John had one of these for his collection.

#8 Osher

Osher

Obsessed Member

• Frozen
  • 966 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:35 PM

In some of the pictures, especially the first one, I thought it was the real car...

#9 model_madness

model_madness

SA RUGBY ROCKS!!

• Frozen
  • 783 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:36 AM

Awesome, what a car!! A really super job there mate!

#10 Mike

Mike

Proud dad

• Root Admin
  • 1,029,281 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:01 AM

Nice Jag ;)

Course cars are welcome here! The only section that seems to have almost zero interest is the R/C section... the figure section would also be a bit quiet if it wasn't for the ministrations of Mr Paul Blythe :)

#11 seanrgb

seanrgb

Very Obsessed Member

• Banned
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:08 AM

Very nice work ..looks real

#12 F-32

F-32

Completely Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 7,876 posts