Revell Hawker Hunter FGA.9

First hunter build for me and hopefully doable in a month, the paint job will be tricky and I don't have all the paints yet :closedeyes:

So clearing the desk somewhat we have the following:

hunterkit.jpg

A super kit by all account but some seriously tiny detail in there.

I plan to do the box cover scheme, it's colourful without being too garish.

Edited by Stebos

Cool, I've got a couple of F.6's in line to be built, but I haven't got one of these yet. Certainly looks like a nice kit, and from what's been said it goes together very nicely.

Are you going to do it in the boxtop scheme that is shown, or something else?

Karl.

I was editing in that answer before I saw the question... yep box scheme, provided I can get the red deep enough. The lower hull on a ship build in progress has had 8 coats and *still* isn't right. Though I stupidly used a poor undercoat.

Finally some progress to show.

Lovely little kit so far. The cockpit isn't strictly accurate but it's good enough to look the part.

cockpit1.jpg

I'm cutting out the small solid section where the HUD is, I want to try to get the clear piece provided to sit over the opening & allow a view out.

cockpit2.jpg

Not too much to build due to being 1/72, though having a chair in this scale in 5 detailed sections is very nice, makes a change from the simple bucket seat I'm used to.

And last shot showing it dry fitted. I scratch built a little throttle lever you can just about see from a scrap of plasticard and milliput roll. I noticed the handle was too long when I glued it on, but not going to quibble over it.

cockpit3.jpg

I might tone the chair highlights down a bit, I think they're overdone. I'll see how it looks in place, the cockpit's pretty gloomy with the fuselage closed up.

Apologies for the photo quality, flash never does a good job when I'm trying a macro shot.

Will leave this one canopy open I think.

Edited by Stebos

It's mostly drybrush layers.

Over the basecoat I do a very light silver for wear, then a medium grey to pick out the panels & detail. Over that I do a very light off-white to get the switches & dials. Then I'll attempt to pick out individual details - dial marks & needles, little red buttons etc with a normal brush but it's mostly just luck how successful it is. At normal viewing distance you'd never see such marks cleanly so just getting a rough idea of them does me fine.

That usually leaves the dial surrounds too bright so I drybrush over again to tone them back down. A little dab of klear to shine the dials up.

There's a very distinctive 'U' outline in white on the photos I looked at. It's not molded on the kit (the centre panel is further out than the sides) I tried to show this but the best I could do was running over and between dials. It's looks ok from a distance I think.

I'll try to get a non-flash shot that's sharp, the lighting is very harsh.

A quick update of progress as of sat night.

hunter1.jpg

It goes together very well. Minimal filler was needed. The plastic used is *very* soft so there was the odd over zealous scalpel gouge to infill as well.

The tanks and undercarriage will be built & painted separately to get added right at the end.

The only weakness I've found in this kit is the wing intakes. From the front you can see right down the open wing void. A bit cheap of Revell not to provide more intake structure.

So I've cut out a pair of covers to get ride of that issue.

hunter2.jpg

Some fiddly detail pieces still to add then it's off to get primed.

Edited by Stebos

Great looking progress. The cockpit is terrific!

More progress!

A few nights brush slapping and the basic scheme is done:

hunterpaint.jpg

How I hate painting red! :angrysoapbox.sml:

Decals to go on next, then I have the little details & undercarriage to finish painting before sticking them on to complete.

Thanks, the red paint is Vallejo model colour Carmine Red, took about 6 coats to get the blend between coverage & detail filling I was happy with. Model colour's are quite flat, there's already a coat of Klear on.

Rest of the camo is Xtracrylix which I've been quite happy with.

hunterdecal.jpg

Only thing left to do is stick on all the detail pieces and tidy up loose ends, final coat of Klear and some weathering.