315 Sqn Mustang III

Took advantage of a day off today and got this started.

The Box shot

Box.jpg

I have finished the cockpit in a fairly quick style with a little finishing and weathering. Joined the fuselage halves together.

Cockpit1.jpg

Cockpit2.jpg

Going well so far, looking forward to the Bare Metal finish on this one - I have my micromesh at the ready.

Peter

More done today - got the main components assembled, the canopy masked and polished the surface to within an inch of it's life.

Masked1.jpg

Masked2.jpg

Then sprayed with black gloss primer, to allow it to be ready for the Alclad.

Primed.jpg

I must say that I like the look of a gloss black mustang, I will have to see if I can find a scheme like that some time.

Peter

Ok - got the Alclad done today, and post sprayed some panels with diluted indian ink to shade some alternate panels to give the bare metal some variance.

It looks better in real life than the pictures - the light in the shed is too direct to photograph the shiny surface well

Painted1.jpg

Painted2.jpg

Painted3.jpg

Edited by Peter Marshall

More progress - I have got the detail painting done, and decals on. The decals were a nightmare, breaking up at the slightest opportunity so I ended up with a decal jigsaw, which is als why I have left off most of the stencils ( they simply disintegrated in the water !). In addition I have had to use spares which aren't quite right for the upper and lower wing roundels

Anyway I have sprayed the leading edges, kleared and once it drys, on to weathering.

MustangDecaled.jpg

BTW - does anyone know which colour would be a match for the red and blue in these roundels. ideally in Vallejo Model Colour / Model Air, so I can touch them up.

Thanks.

Peter

Edited by Peter Marshall

That's going together beautifully Peter, shame the decals didn't want to play. I could probably dig you some replacements out of the spares box if you would like?

Jen.

Thanks - what I have done is weather it to within an inch of it's life, so it looks very beat up, so that the cracks / nibbles on the decals simply look like wear. I quite like it, particularly for an exercise in damage control. It fits quite well with the only photo I have found for this particular scheme which is quite dirty.

I will post some pictures of the finished model at the weekend.

Peter