RN Corsair

This is the 1/48 Tamiya Corsair I'm doing up as a FAA fighter. I've finished the painting now and I'm moving on to the smaller sub assemblies.

Here's how it looks at the minute....

cors1.JPG

cors2.JPG

Here's the markings I intend to use:

DSCF0008.JPG

You guys must really hate Corsair's or something............no one ever replies to posts about this build! :o

Or I am doing a really bad job on it? :(

Seems you've done a cracking job. Pity you're not doing a Tirpitz-machine. ^_^

(Though I must say yours is an attractive scheme as well)

:thumbsup:

Thanks lads, for a while there I thought this thread was being sent to Coventry!

I'm not as skilled as the rest of you, but its nice that you think this one is OK so far.

Phil,

thank-you! I am quite pleased with the paint job that I did on this one, I recon its one of my better ones. I agree with you, the RN camo looks much nicer than the all over gloss blue.

Merlin,

Nice job! Thats an unusal scheme, whats the story behind it? Was is a new fuselage mated with spares?

Atoine,

Yes, those are Techmod decals, I really like the schemes they have offered on the decal sheet and intend to build all three schemes eventually.

The scheme is as the a/c might of looked like fresh out the factory. It was made for Dave Morris, guy who's written the book on the FAA museum's Corsair. Which by the way is great book for modellers, lots of close up, internal pics & info on FAA Corsairs in general

Dave

The scheme is as the a/c might of looked like fresh out the factory. It was made for Dave Morris, guy who's written the book on the FAA museum's Corsair. Which by the way is great book for modellers, lots of close up, internal pics & info on FAA Corsairs in general

Dave

Thanks for the info. Dave. I think I know the book you mean, I'll have to get hold of a copy in the future.

Nice one Darren.

I have the same kit which I eventually intend to do as a Royal Navy one.

How much of the wingtips of the original did you lop off, and how did you go about the operation?

Cheers lad,

Nick

Hi Nick,

the trick is to cut right up to the wingtip formation lights, its not an awful lot to cut off, but its wise to scribe a line first to make sure the angle of the cut is correct. I don't know if this is how a skilled model builder would go about it, but my way was to build the wing first then cut it with a razor saw. I think it turned out OK. Hope this helps.

I'm not as skilled as the rest of you, but its nice that you think this one is OK so far.

'ere! We'll not have that kind of talk on 'ere! :fuhrer:

Shame on you for thinking that! :P

I have a question, why did FAA corsairs have their wings cropped?

At a guess I'd say either carrier storage space, or lift size... someone's bound to chime in with the correct answer tho. It could also be that they were clipped for extra low level Manoeuvrability?

Your'e correct, the British carriers had less 'head-room' than the US ones below deck. It didn't effect the handling either apparently. The First FAA Corsairs had normal wings, cut-off was introduced when a/c introduced to front line service.

Dave