RAF Leeming Enthusiasts day.

Fmk.6john

Hi all.

Haven't posted in a while, it's been bedlam round here but I was let out of me cage to go to RAF Leeming for the XXV Squadron disbandment enthusiasts day.

Corking day really, sun played ball and the rain stayed away untill we went home.

I have tried to do some 'different' things but as with all these events there will inevitably be duplicate mugshots that we all have.

Wonky Typhoon ;)

wonkytyphoon02yu6.jpg

A couple of the German Phantom

germanphantom377505oz5.jpg

germanphantom377501yy4.jpg

germanphantom377504ol2.jpg

Some more Typhoons

typhoonzj81304lr9.jpg

typhoonzj81302rj1.jpg

Phantom FGR.2 XV499

phantomxv49907js8.jpg

Nimblob

nimblobxv23605rb7.jpg

Some more to follow...................

A few more from the day......

Italian Tornado

spannishtornadomm703602ip7.jpg

Arty type Typhoon shot

typhoonplasticwrapfz7.jpg

Tornado's lair

qratonka04wv3.jpg

tornadoza543leadsthefiese5.jpg

The ever sexy Mirage F.1....

miragef102xk3.jpg

miragef109sn9.jpg

More arty rubbish!!!

typhooncutoutzo8.jpg

More to follow..........

Edited by Fmk.6john

Some more.......

harrierzg48003ix1.jpg

biplane01yo2.jpg

biplaneandtonka03xf3.jpg

The awsome F-16's from Danish land....

f1606sr3.jpg

f1609rb0.jpg

f1602vd0.jpg

f1601eh6.jpg

Typhoon in the HAS

qratyphoon03jx1.jpg

Lastly a Hawk

baehawkxx31301yn6.jpg

Thats about it for now, took about 300 shots on the day but these are about the best of the bunch, all comments are very welcome.

Regards,

John.

Edited by Fmk.6john

Nice pics John, thanks for posting them.

Hi all.

A couple of the German Phantom

germanphantom377501yy4.jpg

Anybody know why the German F-4s have started to sprout these rivets on the intakes?

Edited by Gary C

Whoops.........edited!!!.

Thanks Graham.

John.

iirc gary these are extra bleed holes for the intake. they make the air flowing into the engines a fair bit smoother.

Not on the splitter plate but on the outside of the intake wall. There's two rows of 5 or 6 very large rivets or fastners either side of the JG 71 logo. They've only popped up recently and only on the Luftwaffe F-4F's, look like they're some sort of .... well large rivet!!

Edited by Gary C

hi john thanks for sharing,was this open to the public and was it advertised anywhere,worth a day off to come up for this.chris

Yeah it was a public event, and has been advertised for quite a while on the internet. There was even a website for the event!

I admit Im surprised to see the German F-4's. I thought those were run out, by now.

Superior pics, real winners

I admit Im surprised to see the German F-4's. I thought those were run out, by now.

Not at all, the Luftwaffe still have a good 70 airframes operational, with the last F-4F's being retired from German service in 2012.

Hi John- this is a big aaaarrrrgggghhhh for me- I just spent 5 days up at mum and dads in the Yorkshire Dales and drove past Leeming- spent four days cooped up with 24-7 rain- oh how I wish I had known this was happening.

My parents live under the flight line for some dummy target practice attack routes, and the jets go really really low lever through there- apart from all the normal stuff on Monday. (Tucano's Hawks, etc, I saw my first Top totty Triangle- just cruisin' without afterburner- but still howling along, no Jags :crying: but I saw a very low Helo- I'm sure it was Merlin-dark green and shiny- but it was so low I only really saw the top of it. Then yesterday morning I saw two F-16's flying together low- I wonder if they were the two from Leeming?

I also saw one of these flitting around in one of my mums trees- a Northern Bullfinch

Bullfinch.jpg

Anybody know why the German F-4s have started to sprout these rivets on the intakes?

I seem to recall from a Luftwaffe groundcrew on some forum that it's related to strengthening the

inner faces of the intakes. The domes appear on some but not other F-4Fs.

I've not seen any other explanation for it elsewhere yet.