Airfix 1/72 IL-28 Beagle

dahut

I got the the Airfix Il- 28 on ebay for a whopping $3.95 recently. I see Trumpeter has a version of this one as well and so I was wondering. Should I :

Save the kit for posterity?

Consider it a builder?

It is the early 70's boxing, Series 4, near as I can tell. Surprisingly good decals, no stencils and a lot of plastic. Typically bad fit and a lot of work to make it nice. At the low price I paid, maybe I should just hunt up the Trumpy kit....

The Trumpeter kit is a rework of the Bilek kit to make it look like the Chinese H-5 copy of the IL-28 (I think there were some subtle differences).

I built the Bilek kit once and its not bad but the engineering in the main gear wells will give you a few headaches.

As for the Airfix kit, I doubt there's much posterity value in it. I'd take the decals out and use them on the Trumpeter or Bilek kit and consign the rest of the kit to spares or "what if" fodder.

I got the the Airfix Il- 28 on ebay for a whopping $3.95 recently. I see Trumpeter has a version of this one as well and so I was wondering. Should I :

Save the kit for posterity?

Consider it a builder?

It is the early 70's boxing, Series 4, near as I can tell. Surprisingly good decals, no stencils and a lot of plastic. Typically bad fit and a lot of work to make it nice. At the low price I paid, maybe I should just hunt up the Trumpy kit....

It's been a while since I built the Airfix kit but I don't remember the fit being much of an issue, but given that it's an old mould it might not be the last word in accuracy. I'd build it - there are many interesting markings options for this aircraft, over and above the ones in the kit. I did always fancy the green Chinese one though!

John

Thanks for piping in, then. I'll give it no special status, as you say.

Gosh I remember building this back in "1900 & frozen to death"! Wasn't bad as I recall, "but then, I was very, very drunk"!

'1900 & frozen' - ha! Funny.

The Trumpeter kit is a rework of the Bilek kit to make it look like the Chinese H-5 copy of the IL-28 (I think there were some subtle differences).

I built the Bilek kit once and its not bad but the engineering in the main gear wells will give you a few headaches.

As for the Airfix kit, I doubt there's much posterity value in it. I'd take the decals out and use them on the Trumpeter or Bilek kit and consign the rest of the kit to spares or "what if" fodder.

I seem to recall Trumpeter offering both the H-5 and the Il-28 boxings, the difference being the tail gun area. one of which involves chopping off the rear and replacing with new parts.

I seem to recall Trumpeter offering both the H-5 and the Il-28 boxings, the difference being the tail gun area. one of which involves chopping off the rear and replacing with new parts.

There's also a few extra vents and bumps moulded onto the Trumpeter kit in various places that the Bilek Il-28 didn't have.

I've started building the Airfix kit a few months ago. The fit looks more or less ok except in the engine nacelles area where heavy puttying and sanding are required. The navigator/bomber floor looks highly suspicious in shape and I've simply deleted this piece. The UC was designed so that the landing gear is movable. It works and it's pretty sturdy but nothing can be done about the UC trap doors of course. I'd say that this kit is worth building if you don't take modeling too seriously.

Laurent

I've started building the Airfix kit a few months ago. The fit looks more or less ok except in the engine nacelles area where heavy puttying and sanding are required. The navigator/bomber floor looks highly suspicious in shape and I've simply deleted this piece. The UC was designed so that the landing gear is movable. It works and it's pretty sturdy but nothing can be done about the UC trap doors of course. I'd say that this kit is worth building if you don't take modeling too seriously.

Laurent

Well I take things serious enough to try and get them right. These older kits are usually workable, but they take effort in rescribing, rebuilding things like floors and UC doors and so on. Typically they can look good.. providing one doesn't look too close.

Thanks for your input